AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stress fractures in his spine or something though, at least he was growing I guess
Stress fractures were in his first year and are not a sign of growth... but he'll be playing R1 no doubt, so should get a fair few games this year you'd think.

I have been saying since early last year that he will be first in line for that 6th defender role. More versatile and a much better footballer than Marty Gleeson who, when fit, sadly will likely not play again unless injuries strike.

I have been saying since early last year that he will be first in line for that 6th defender role. More versatile and a much better footballer than Marty Gleeson who, when fit, sadly will likely not play again unless injuries strike.
Jesus Gleeson is underrated on here. Walk up start in our 22.

Yep and Nup to the bolded
Okay, walk up start maybe a bit generous but he's still ahead of the Riddler when fit. I would be surprised if he played more than 2/3 VFL games before slotting back into the seniors.

Yep and Nup to the bolded

Gleeson is criminally underrated imo, when he was fit at the end of 2017 he was a very good player.

Redman and Ridley both can / will play up the field further, Gleeson hopefully can return from injury and settle as a nice mid-size intercept defender.

Okay, walk up start maybe a bit generous but he's still ahead of the Riddler when fit. I would be surprised if he played more than 2/3 VFL games before slotting back into the seniors.
It’s hard to say how Gleeson will play this year, I’d be hoping he has improved his kicking and decision making which would be the only thing Ridley has over him that would keep Gleeson out of the side.

its not a matter of who is the better players right now (when fit). you also need to take into consideration who is likely to become the better player if games are invested in them, and without doubt in my mind Ridley will become a much better player than Marty.

Bombers have continually focussed too much on who is current best player and thus missed a trick in not investing more games into some of the kids who are likely to end up better. It's a damn shame that coming into his 3rd season Ridley has only played 3 games.

Def should be playing Ridley and Marty can force his way back in through the 2s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even going to use pencil to put his name on the Round 1 team sheet.

That's being put on with permanent sharpie.

We're onto a winner here!

its not a matter of who is the better players right now (when fit). you also need to take into consideration who is likely to become the better player if games are invested in them, and without doubt in my mind Ridley will become a much better player than Marty.

Bombers have continually focussed too much on who is current best player and thus missed a trick in not investing more games into some of the kids who are likely to end up better. It's a damn shame that coming into his 3rd season Ridley has only played 3 games.

Def should be playing Ridley and Marty can force his way back in through the 2s.
Marty can just * off. Bomber ruined him with the Enright comparison

It's a long way back for Glee. Riddles has got him.
I think Gleeson is competing with his body more than Ridley. I like Ridley as a distributor/deliverer more than a defender, he could roll up onto a wing. But, yeah Gleeson has to prove he is agile, confident and still able to read and get to the flight of the ball over many weeks before it’s even a discussion point.

His entire highlights package in the draft machine is goal kicking, he won the kicking contest, he's a reasonable size and he's billed variously as a defender or a utility (so he probably has the all important defensive mindset and could be one of our traditional send-'em-forward type defenders).

I think he might actually be precisely what we were looking for.
Good call Lore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back