AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley would be giving away some serious height there. Ratugolea is a tricky match up. Where are you starting McKenna?
RIP McKenna, we hardly knew ye.
Ambrose is shorter than Hurls and one of them will have to take him cause hooker will take Hawkins.

McKenna has been pushing up to wing more this year, but will likely rotate with Redman and Ridely through half back and the bench as well.

Is he the next to be tried as a forward? Kicked a couple on the weekend

Sure, why not.

Anything we can do to not play a talented young player in the seniors in his natural position.

Not suggesting it, asking a genuine question whether this is a direction he might be looking towards. According to the around the grounds article on the AFL website it says that’s where he played, took 6 marks and kicked 2 goals.

Jordan Ridley

Stats: 21 disposals, seven marks, five tackles, three rebound 50s, one goal

From the coach: Jordan played a different role again for us this week, as a bit of an inside midfielder. He played a really nice game, and his first half in particular was really good. He got his hands on a lot of the ball and had about 15 or so first-half possessions and also kicked a nice goal. He faded out a bit in the second half, playing a bit more on the wing, but he’s showing some great versatility which is good for his development.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-21/vfl-player-review-rd-7

From the VFL player review quoting VFL coach Dan Jordan.

Apparently he played as an inside mid for a half, then on the wing? Did anyone actually go last week and see him playing as an inside mid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt he’d be “an inside mid” but he might run through there for a few minutes a game the way Stringer does sometimes. We have a lot of guys that do a bit in the middle.

But at the same time I hope they don’t * him up by doing that, he has great disposal and a good footy brain. Best to let him hone those talents rather than bulk him up in some misguided attempt.

I went and Ridley spent a fair amount of time as a mid. I don't know about the inside bit. To me an inside mid is one who pushes in close to the ruckman and attempts to get first hands on the ball, and Ridley doesn't /didn't play that way. Clarke and Myers and sometimes McKenna played like that at Sandy. Clarke is as good a first hands mid as you'll see, at vfl level anyway. He just hunts the ball and gets hands on it a remarkable number of times.
Ridley just played like Ridley plays, only in middle of the ground areas. He is very laconic in the way he goes about it. I don't see as an inside mid.

I suspect Ridley has the back flank role at AFL level essentially clocked already barring some shaky 1v1 defensive moments so I have no issue trying to develop him into something more.

He’s one I can’t really put my finger on other than he has a tremendous amount of AFL qualities, I have no idea what we’ll end up with

I suspect Ridley has the back flank role at AFL level essentially clocked already barring some shaky 1v1 defensive moments so I have no issue trying to develop him into something more.

He’s one I can’t really put my finger on other than he has a tremendous amount of AFL qualities, I have no idea what we’ll end up with

Not to mention that if we just leave him at half back we'll be wasting one of our most talented players (whether it's Ridley, Francis, a forward not playing to keep Francis forward, for example).

At the risk of being boringly repetitive on this point it's exactly why we need to actually start trying to turn some of these flankers into midfielder. Otherwise our list makes no sense.

Honest answer, in your opinion was Clarke a better player than Myers on the weekend?

No, Myers was very good. His kicking was back to very damaging - he kicked two long goals with the wind, and he looked very good as a vfl player. If he had been one of our young guys playing like that we would have been raving. So, yes, vfl is easier than afl, and Myers is more damaging with the ball at vfl level than Clarke is.

No, Myers was very good. His kicking was back to very damaging - he kicked two long goals with the wind, and he looked very good as a vfl player. If he had been one of our young guys playing like that we would have been raving. So, yes, vfl is easier than afl, and Myers is more damaging with the ball at vfl level than Clarke is.
Myers back this week then in seniors?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back