AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is playing quite well. My one knock on him is how he trails a leading forward to the ball and can taper off the last few steps. I’d like to see a bit more of a final effort to close the gap, even if it’s a 1/10 chance. It looks much better when he fights for every inch.

He is playing quite well. My one knock on him is how he trails a leading forward to the ball and can taper off the last few steps. I’d like to see a bit more of a final effort to close the gap, even if it’s a 1/10 chance. It looks much better when he fights for every inch.
He’d be one of the best defenders in the competition - if he already isn’t.

Paps gave him a bit of a lesson.

There is nothing to be learned for Ridley, it's just a really terrible match up. Paps isn't good in the air but Sydney use the ball short so there is no value for us there.

Tim Watson said this morning that Jordan reminds him of Neale Daniher & I reckon it's an excellent comparison.
Not one to brag but I will..called it 4 years ago and mentioned a few times last year.

Paps gave him a bit of a lesson.

It's the second time the Ridley match-up has been really (catastrophically) strange.

He wasn't the right match up for Toby Green, Laverde was, but it didn't really cost us anything.

I didn't think the match-up against Papley made much sense on paper. It should have been Redman.

I suppose they're just trying to round out Ridley's skill set (which is not a bad thing).

Another strange week of match-ups in defence highlight by Ridley playing on the guy (Naughton) he seemed least suited to.

They're really putting it on him to develop as a defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure Ridley playing that role is best for the team as a whole really. Maybe it's a forced issue at the moment but ideally we want him being able to zone off and intercept.
He had 9 intercepts, think he can handle both marking a forward and using judgement…just a quality player

Was pretty good I thought.

To keep Naughton to reasonable stats considering they got the ball in there 60 times is a huge effort.

He did. I wasn't being critical of the performance or of anything really.

Ridley's 1v1 defending has not been a strength despite his break out last year. It's improved a lot this year and the coaches seem to have thrown him into the deep end to further develop that side of his game, rather than leaving him to be a very good but flawed intercept defender.

I agree with Loonerty that at least long term the best thing for the side will not be having Ridley tied down as key defender and, given the available options on the list (e.g. Reid and Brand), and the amount invested in those players, I very much doubt he will be.

I'd say he uses the time with Heppell in the side to develop a rounded game and that in a future best team, he'll play as the 7th defender and Marshall of the defence (doing odd jobs as needed).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back