AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with BrunoV, can see Ridley playing alongside Hurley instead of replacing him. I see him pretty much coming in for now retired Goddard.

I mentioned earlier that the big key to our back 6 is Francis. If big red can go from mid sized, to genuine (mobile) key position player, this'll allow us the flexibility to play a mixture of Ridley, Gleeson, Redman, Ambrose etc.

He needs to get in the AFL side, yes. He needs to improve his output at VFL level to get another opportunity at AFL level.
He's done more than enough at VFL level to be getting AFL opportunities. Hell, he's done enough at AFL level to be getting opportunities at AFL level.

Think of his debut; I doubt we'll look back in a few years and say that was flash in the pan. He can seriously play.

He's done more than enough at VFL level to be getting AFL opportunities. Hell, he's done enough at AFL level to be getting opportunities at AFL level.

Think of his debut; I doubt we'll look back in a few years and say that was flash in the pan. He can seriously play.

Im not doubting he will be able to play at the highest level. Feel that tow players on current output, you go with the guy who has shown he can play better, hence I would be going with Marty Party first up.

Ridleys last 5 games in the VFL last year where all class, every one of those games he was in our top 3 disposal winners and to me just looked too good for VFL, he really should be spending even more time in the AFL side this year and he shouldn't have to be playing just for that backline role and if that means playing him in other positions in the VFL just to find a spot for him in the AFL side then so be it. This kid is smooth and just doesn't panic and those are traits our AFL team has lacked at times the last few years .

Im not doubting he will be able to play at the highest level. Feel that tow players on current output, you go with the guy who has shown he can play better, hence I would be going with Marty Party first up.
Gleeson, due to injury, will be lucky to have form and fitness for an AFL game before mid season. However IMHO others are either better or have passed him and I don't see him in our best 22, if everyone was 100%. If we are shown to have improved, Gleeson cant be in our best 22.

Ridleys last 5 games in the VFL last year where all class, every one of those games he was in our top 3 disposal winners and to me just looked too good for VFL, he really should be spending even more time in the AFL side this year and he shouldn't have to be playing just for that backline role and if that means playing him in other positions in the VFL just to find a spot for him in the AFL side then so be it. This kid is smooth and just doesn't panic and those are traits our AFL team has lacked at times the last few years .

Seems to be a taller more athletic Redman.

He looked assured at AFL level too. It is exciting to have talented players like him waiting in the wings if you'll pardon the pun.

In the position they have been playing but Redman i feel has a bit more fire and an untapped contested ability to his game which should allow him to go through the stoppages in time, think Redman has him covered for speed aswell but Ridley would have him covered for marking ability and reading the play but thats not to say Redman is particularly horrible in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D_P_S I am not normally one to make big calls but I reckon he'll play 200 games if he has some luck with injuries. He is supremely talented but possibly a touch injury-prone.
I would really hope so with him being a top 20 pick with talent and dedication on his side, injury and mismanagement could be the only reasons for me that he doesn't play 200 games for us.

I would really hope so with him being a top 20 pick with talent and dedication on his side, injury and mismanagement could be the only reasons for me that he doesn't play 200 games for us.

In the modern game you probably need to add trade/free agency as another reason why. No doubt Ridley is a clear talent and has what it takes to make the grade at AFL level and perhaps even be a star.

Gleeson, due to injury, will be lucky to have form and fitness for an AFL game before mid season. However IMHO others are either better or have passed him and I don't see him in our best 22, if everyone was 100%. If we are shown to have improved, Gleeson cant be in our best 22.
Gleeson is the most underrated footballer on our list.

I rate Gleeson highly just worried that if he's lost athleticism he may not be a great fit alongside Hurley, Hooker, Francis, McKenna and Saad.
Are ankles that debilitating? I reckon by mid season he'll be cherry ripe honestly.

Not more athletic.

Deffinitely a bigger, stronger kid but Redman would be in the top few all round runners we have.

I.e. not as quick as McGrath but better over long distances, not as good over distance but quicker than Ambrose.

It's very disappointing that Redman got injured. He and Ridley are both essential parts of a well balanced 22.

Are ankles that debilitating? I reckon by mid season he'll be cherry ripe honestly.

If an ankle injury is bad enough then it can be career over. But I don't think that's the case here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back