AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Low grade quad strain, 3 to 4 weeks (R1-R2) - 4/3

14 - Ridley.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 3, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Are ankles that debilitating? I reckon by mid season he'll be cherry ripe honestly.
Can it be that debilitating? Of course it can.
He didn't just roll it ffs, he's been out 12 months and still not even returned to full training let alone anywhere near return to play. It is very obviously, very debilitating for him. The injury he sustained would be one of the worst ankle injuries for a footy player. Not unreasonable to seriously lower expectations for Marty this year.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
With no Gleeson or Redman for round 1 i cant possibly think why you woukdnt pick this guy for round 1 had a very good preseason aswell. Id almost go as far as saying hes in our best 6 backmen for round 1

Huge talent and opportunity has come up early in year it could be beneficial for us towards back end of season to progress his development early

Id start him on Deledio round 1

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
IMHO others are either better or have passed him
The 64 games he has under Gleeson's belt, decent in the back 6 where he was at least 2nd picked each week.

Players fighting for his position will have to display a fair bit bit before they are considered as "Passed him".

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The 64 games he has under Gleeson's belt, decent in the back 6 where he was at least 2nd picked each week.

Players fighting for his position will have to display a fair bit bit before they are considered as "Passed him".
IMHO, Ridley, Redman, Saad and Francis have displayed a fair bit and passed him. And he definitely wouldn't be 2nd picked now (if he ever was).

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
IMHO, Ridley, Redman, Saad and Francis have displayed a fair bit and passed him. And he definitely wouldn't be 2nd picked now (if he ever was).
you're kidding, Ridley and Redman have played a handful of games between them. Saad is in a different role so isn't taking his spot. Francis is a huge talent so can be in the side along with him. Crazy.

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
you're kidding, Ridley and Redman have played a handful of games between them. Saad is in a different role so isn't taking his spot. Francis is a huge talent so can be in the side along with him. Crazy.
Nope, not kidding nor crazy. I just have a different opinion to you and a far different assessment of Gleeson. Last time I looked Saad played back six therefore is competing with Gleeson and has gone passed him. Francis has played 10 games but you , rightly so, identify him as a huge talent. With opportunities Ridley and Redman will be better than Gleeson well before either of them play 69 games.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Nope, not kidding nor crazy. I just have a different opinion to you and a far different assessment of Gleeson. Last time I looked Saad played back six therefore is competing with Gleeson and has gone passed him. Francis has played 10 games but you , rightly so, identify him as a huge talent. With opportunities Ridley and Redman will be better than Gleeson well before either of them play 69 games.
If we're looking to win now, Gleeson is ahead of Ridley and Redman and will (when fit) rightly get opportunities ahead of them and I believe will hold his spot. You can play in the same backline and not be competing with each other for the same spot. Is Ridley going to miss out for Hurley or Hooker? no, and his role is just as different to one of those 2 boys as his role is to Saad's.

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
If we're looking to win now, Gleeson is ahead of Ridley and Redman and will (when fit) rightly get opportunities ahead of them and I believe will hold his spot. You can play in the same backline and not be competing with each other for the same spot. Is Ridley going to miss out for Hurley or Hooker? no, and his role is just as different to one of those 2 boys as his role is to Saad's.
Agree to disagree. Injury included Gleeson will be fortunate to play AFL in 2019. I don't see him offering anything that Ridley, Redman, Saad, Hooker, Francis, Hurley, McKenna, Guelfi, McGrath, etc can otherwise provide. Yes they all fill a 'different' role but you can still only play 6 in the backline, rotations noted.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Agree to disagree. Injury included Gleeson will be fortunate to play AFL in 2019. I don't see him offering anything that Ridley, Redman, Saad, Hooker, Francis, Hurley, McKenna, Guelfi, McGrath, etc can otherwise provide. Yes they all fill a 'different' role but you can still only play 6 in the backline, rotations noted.

You need 7 defenders unfortunately guelfi doesnt seem in the backline plans and Mcgrath hasnt been for 12 months

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Silk.

Does not miss a target. When he gets an afl body look out

Will never forget his first game against the Cats, that sidestep where he wrong footed Ablett and laced out a bullet from half back to the wing. It certainly is the sort of thing that makes you think "hang on, we might have one here".

Really hope he gets plenty of opportunity in 2019.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I fully expect him to start round 1, in large part because his competition won't be ready yet. That said I think he is actually AFL ready and I really hope he is able to take the opportunity with both hands. I'm continually impressed by how good an athlete he is. Moves like a much smaller man and has impressive agility for his size, perfect for that medium sized defender type role (even though he's more like a 3rd tall in size).

There's no doubt he can absolute rack up touches and uses the ball quite well. There is plenty to work with and I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it as a player. In fact I'd say a bigger risk is losing him to another club that have more opportunities right now.

I'm still livid we did not get more games into him last year.
Stress fractures in his spine or something though, at least he was growing I guess

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
His athleticism is pretty impressive. That tackle on Rohan was a nice bit of play. Did not look out of place through the midfield briefly either. Plenty to work with.

Round 1 is all yours.

Back