Retired 14. Liam Jones

Blues secure Jones

Carlton has secured exciting young forward Liam Jones after finalising a trade with the Western Bulldogs.

The Blues have traded their 3rd round draft pick (46) in exchange for Jones.

GM – Football Operations Andrew McKay says the deal was a great result to finish Carlton’s trade period.

“Today’s deal concludes what we believe has been a successful trade period for our Club.” McKay said.

“We stuck to our plan, injected some youth and retained both a 1st and 2nd round draft selection.

“Liam has been on our radar for a while, securing both him and Kristian, as key position players, has been a priority for us during this trade period.

“We are bring in another young man with AFL experience, and with some further development his best footy ahead of him.”

Blues secure Jones

10683746_10152760066413334_4300934245704187492_o.jpg

Carlton recruit Liam Jones takes extra step before new journey

Determined to reinvigorate his AFL career with Carlton, and backed by a three-year contract, the former Western Bulldogs forward has turned to former Dogs teammate James Mulligan, now a fitness guru, to help build his base ahead of the official start of pre-season training.

Under Mulligan's guidance at the Fit Centre in Maribyrnong, Jones has been training six days a week for the past three weeks to ensure he is ready to make an impression on his new teammates. Jones has been running and lifting heavy weights every second day and boxing on alternate days.

"I need to obviously work on my aerobic base, just so I can run out games a bit better, and use my speed and strength as repeat efforts," he said.

"I began working on that three weeks ago. I started training earlier than I usually would. I am just looking forward to getting stuck into pre-season and building that aerobic base.

"I think it's been a thing that has improved over the six years I was at the Bulldogs and I am just looking forward to taking that to the next level.

"Once I get that up, everything else is pretty strong."

Liam now has a second chance at an AFL career and it looks as though he's determined to make this one count.

He's always shown himself to have the talent but both fitness and work ethic let him down in his time at the Bulldogs.

A chance of club alone won't fix that but acknowledging your weaknesses and putting the processes in place to rectify those issues is a good place to start.

Plenty of hard work awaits him but from the sound of things he's well aware of that and ready to embrace the challenge. Good luck.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Liam now has a second chance at an AFL career and it looks as though he's determined to make this one count.

He's always shown himself to have the talent but both fitness and work ethic let him down in his time at the Bulldogs.

A chance of club alone won't fix that but acknowledging your weaknesses and putting the processes in place to rectify those issues is a good place to start.

Plenty of hard work awaits him but from the sound of things he's well aware of that and ready to embrace the challenge. Good luck.
The constant that Dogs fan kept saying about Jones is his fitness. He has all the attribute, but fitness has always lacked. By the sound of that article, he is in a good headspace and is determine to improve his fitness.

So here's to the bargain trade of this years trade period

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse says a fit-again Matthew Kreuzer can take Blues to another level

Malthouse said Jones could thrive as Carlton’s second or third string goalkicker alongside the ikes of Lachie Henderson and Levi Casboult.

“He has got, in our eyes, a great capacity to be a great key forward or key back for us. He’s got speed, takes a nice mark, he’s a deadly kick and he works hard in a small area.

“I’d like to see him work hard in a bigger area and we’ll talk about that.”

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse says a fit-again Matthew Kreuzer can take Blues to another level

Interesting to read that Jones may spend some time down back.

I have my doubts about Liam as a defender but if he's willing to learn and work hard, who knows? It's not out of the question that he proves to be valuable occasionally in the back half.

Expect to see him spend the majority of his time up forward but if he's able to add that extra string to his bow, it may come as a bonus when urgent change is needed.

Too often we've seen Henderson shifted back out of necessity, leaving our forward line bare. To have the extra flexibility could prove more than handy.

Mezzoculo

Accurate. Brilliant. Unlikely.
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Isn't that why he left the dogs? They tried to use him down back and he failed miserably. We have enough swing men, let Jones focus on being a 40 goal a year forward.
No, he left the Dogs because he was unable to establish himself under Macca as the No 1 forward. Spending the backhalf of last season in the twos wouldn't have helped either. He played as a defender in his junior days, apparently.

Mezzoculo

Accurate. Brilliant. Unlikely.
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Now this guy has really surprised me.
I didn't know him to be so mobile and to have very good running patterns.

I think I may not be the only person surprised as Jones has manouvered around much shorter opponents with ease.
Kicking at goal has also been quality and at this point in time............we seem to have a beauty on our hands.
I'm glad to hear that he's transitioned well. Watching him play over the past few years I've seen more than a few fleeting glimpses of talent. If he can perform regularly - in what should be a better functioning forwardline - then he should win over a lot of doubting Thomases

Get to know: Who is shaping as a surprise packet at your club in 2015?

CARLTON
Liam Jones
Recruited from Western Bulldogs, 198cm, 98kg, 66 games

At Carlton's annual general meeting recently, coach Mick Malthouse described Jones as "one of the most explosive animals that I've ever seen", adding that he believed the former Dog would make "a massive impact" with the Blues. Bulldogs fans could be forgiven for wondering if Malthouse was talking about the same player who managed just 10 games last year in a Dogs attack that was crying out for a key target. Another fan is Rob Wiley, Carlton's director of development and coaching, who told AFL.com.au: "Liam's got great strength and speed, and the players have really warmed to him. He might surprise a few. Maybe in the past he's been the No. 1 target but now he might be the second or third target, which changes the dynamics a little, for him and us." - Ben Collins

Get to know: Who is shaping as a surprise packet at your club in 2015?

Full steam ahead for SOJ

Forever recognising the talents of his teammates, Buckley is particularly excited to see Liam Jones make his debut in the Navy Blue.

Jones, a former Western Bulldog, made the move to Visy Park after the Blues traded their 3rd round draft pick in exchange for the 23-year-old.

Buckley says he's been impressed by Jones' strong work ethic.

"I think he's really going to add something to the team," said Buckley.

"I'm so impressed by all the work that he puts in off the field. He's so strong and fast. I can't wait to see him play."

Full steam ahead for SOJ

Liam seems to have made quite the impression in just a few short months.

Has the coach well and truly on-side and seems to be in favour with his new team mates also.

Next up is the biggest challenge of all: the supporters. Let's hope he ticks that box nice and early - after the siren match winner against Richmond in round 1, perhaps? ;)

Dominator68

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Belgium
AFL Club
Carlton
He has made an impression on me. I have the impression that he has mitts like cymbals and the defensive side of his game seems to be half hearted

Back