Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Will find out in a couple of hours if Jones has been rewarded for good VFL form with a spot in the seniors that most of us really didn't see coming after last year.

Hope he at least gets the chance to prove himself at this level, otherwise he will probably always wonder what could have been.

He played over 60 games with the Dogs. I must have seen him at least 50 times (best mate is a Dogs tragic without fox footy) and he only really played 1 good game (against Collingwood). Quite often he would chip in for a moment or two but would then go missing. He has continued that sort of form. He would also have fantastic games in the VFL but not replicate this form. I cannot see this changing.

I desperately want Jones to play a cracking game on Sunday, more for his own personal belief and self esteem than anything else.

Hopefully in a much more positive and stable environment than last year's toxic atmosphere at the club, LJ can actually be a contributor (and I genuinely think he can be)

Hope he at least gets the chance to prove himself at this level, otherwise he will probably always wonder what could have been.

He's had the opportunity at the highest level.....just not good enough!
Can't make that next level required...simple

Likely to be a very unpopular selection but I'm happy to see Jones named in the seniors this week.

I noted through the preseason that whilst he wasn't touching the ball, it wasn't through lack of effort - his effort was top notch throughout. Chasing, tackling, making his presence felt - that's what you want to see from your key forwards when they don't have the ball.

I haven't seen him at VFL level since then but from all reports he has been very good, and he has deserved this chance at senior level.

Hopefully he puts his best foot forward against the Dockers - we may see the 'same old' Liam Jones but stranger things have happened than maligned players performing under a new regime. Regardless of what he produces this weekend, his selection is justified and as long as he's wearing the navy blue he has my support.

Perhaps I'm crazy...but I'm looking forward to seeing him out there. What's the worst that can happen?

He's had the opportunity at the highest level.....just not good enough!
Can't make that next level required...simple
Development hasn't always been of the highest quality. Roger Federer about the only athlete capable of dominating their sport with little or no coaching at the highest level. If Jones can make use of the current resources that are available, we may see him reach the level that was hoped for him.

If he can't make it now, then you are right and he isn't good enough and has had his chance. Would rather see him given the opportunity under the new coach, knowing what is expected and having had his weaknesses worked on, before writing him off based on what he produced in a directionless rabble of an imploding club.

With any luck, we may be pleasantly surprised.

I have not got a problem with Jones in and lets hope he shows something as he can kick the ball well and take a mark.

How long he stays in for is anyones guess but like mentioned earlier you have to reward excellent VFL form and give blokes a go. Heck how long did we give games to Kane Lucas and Matthew Watson for! ( Simon White also sits in this boat IMO and he is a lost cause i think. )

We are in a list roll over with Bolts now and he is looking at everyone currently so i am fine with it. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor NAB aside, we haven't really seen him in a Bolton team and he had good enough VFL form to warrant selection. Even a couple goals out of him would be a major win considering our lack of goal kickers. We can only try, if he fails to translate at AFL again, well that'll be the end of it.

I hope Jones makes me eat my words. Would be great if he can, but I'm not overly confident he will put in a good showing. I even think we may play Freo into form.
Pessimist aren't l!

Good to see Jones rewarded for the hard work he has put in over the pre-season & in the early season with the NB. If he brings what he has been showing over the last month or so, he will make a big difference in our forward line.

That's the thing with Jones... if he wants it it is there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back