Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

True, it's a bit early to be popping the champagne...

... But at the end of last year you could have said Liam Jones was arguably the luckiest player to still be on an AFL list. If he wasn't contracted, he was for sure gone.

So, for him to have made a case for selection, based on merit and not a bunch of injuries, is a pretty decent effort.

Good luck Liam.

I thinks he's hopeless but his form in the a maggos warrants a couple of weeks in. Make no mistake he's on his last chance. It doesn't click for him his papers and AFl career are stamped.

Don't think anyone rates jones highly or thinks he's our future, but he has earnt his spot in the side through good form.

Great from Bolts to send the message that "if your form warrants selection, you'll be selected".

Bolton strikes me as an honest bloke that doesn't play bullshit mind games like Mick and is fully transparent to the players. He has no favourites and he's honest and open nature will give the message to the players that there is no bias in selection, the players performing will simply be picked. This is great for the club, as blokes won't drop their head believing they are out of favour, they will work hard as they know they are only a good game or two away from playing seniors.

That said I fully expect jones to play rubbish and be banished to the VFL next week, hoping he can prove me wrong.

I think he should be given a few weeks to prove himself though, not just two weeks then if no goals out you go.

It probably takes a couple just to get used to the speed of the game and team style.

We've given Casboult enough weeks to play himself into form without success, yet we done give others the same opportunity.

I think he should be given a few weeks to prove himself though, not just two weeks then if no goals out you go.

It probably takes a couple just to get used to the speed of the game and team style.

We've given Casboult enough weeks to play himself into form without success, yet we done give others the same opportunity.

Still needs 100% effort and to take the marks he should take. Can't get by on 3 disposals, a couple of big tackles and no scoreboard pressure, not for 3 weeks on end.

Jones v Dawson. Battle of the maligned. Like a little ginger pride rally right there in the goal square.

01-gold-bar.jpg

Jones v Dawson. Battle of the maligned. Like a little ginger pride rally right there in the goal square.

Will be a challenge for our mids to kick to a leading player rather than roosting it vaguely in Levi's direction.

Jones will carve him up. I expect the guy to come out firing!

Well I kind of agree we can't judge purely on goals he kicks, because depending on how the team goes, he may get bugger all chances anyway.

I'll be looking for other things like his workrate, presenting and at least clunking some marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I kind of agree we can't judge purely on goals he kicks, because depending on how the team goes, he may get bugger all chances anyway.

I'll be looking for other things like his workrate, presenting and at least clunking some marks.
Funny, that doesn't seem enough for some when it comes to judging Casboult.

We need something, anything up forward. With Mckay injured its either Jaksch or Jones. Both have good form, but Jones gets first (and his last) crack at it. Good on him, and good luck.

Hope jones attacks the marks with two hands not going in packs with one hand in the air. Won't mark anything but air doing that as he has in the past.
Hope he suprises us all!

Likely to be a very unpopular selection but I'm happy to see Jones named in the seniors this week.

I noted through the preseason that whilst he wasn't touching the ball, it wasn't through lack of effort - his effort was top notch throughout. Chasing, tackling, making his presence felt - that's what you want to see from your key forwards when they don't have the ball.

I haven't seen him at VFL level since then but from all reports he has been very good, and he has deserved this chance at senior level.

Hopefully he puts his best foot forward against the Dockers - we may see the 'same old' Liam Jones but stranger things have happened than maligned players performing under a new regime. Regardless of what he produces this weekend, his selection is justified and as long as he's wearing the navy blue he has my support.

Perhaps I'm crazy...but I'm looking forward to seeing him out there. What's the worst that can happen?
My attitude exactly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back