Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Jones was on the final year of his Carlton contract and the club likely weren’t giving him another contract.

That ship has sailed IMO. If Liam Jones can return within the next few weeks, why would we bother with a player who has had no preseason over other players on the list today?

Liam Jones was on the final year of his Carlton contract and the club likely weren’t giving him another contract.

That ship has sailed IMO. If Liam Jones can return within the next few weeks, why would we bother with a player who has had no preseason over other players on the list today?

Total rubbish.

Would be up to the AFL to change their policy which is less likely.

We are better off developing someone for the longer term regardless I think.
If were playing Finals I 100% want Liam Jones playing if possible. Club should turn over every single stone in order to get him back at the Club as soon as practicable. I just hope the club didn't burn any bridges with Liam in how they handled it.

In the absence of Government mandates the AFL's policy would be highly illegal. As such, you'd expect it would fall away fairly quickly.

Travelling to WA will likely be an issue and potentially interstate generally, but could play the Melbourne games at a minimum once AFL policy changes. Similar to Kyrie Irving.

In the absence of Government mandates the AFL's policy would be highly illegal. As such, you'd expect it would fall away fairly quickly.

Travelling to WA will likely be an issue and potentially interstate generally, but could play the Melbourne games at a minimum once AFL policy changes. Similar to Kyrie Irving.

Not interested in LJ if he can’t be there 100% of the time.

I hope he is enjoying his time in QLD otherwise. Seems at peace with his choice.

Nah.

Imagine going into elimination final where he needs to be dropped for an Omac or Young coming off a season of VFL football, because he can’t get into the state or the ground.

It makes no sense. You’re either in or you’re not.
Imagine the opposite, It's a home final in Melbourne and OMac is given a bath by Hawkins while we have an all-australian level full back playing amateur football in Queensland... it's ******* dumb. The more Jones we have in our side the better, regardless of any inconsistency. I hope the AFL burns for it's ludicrous policies.

Imagine the opposite, It's a home final in Melbourne and OMac is given a bath by Hawkins while we have an all-australian level full back playing amateur football in Queensland... it's ******* dumb. The more Jones we have in our side the better, regardless of any inconsistency. I hope the AFL burns for it's ludicrous policies.

Nope, this is all on Jones for refusing to get vaccinated.

No other players (that we know of) have reported any issues or side effects from getting jabbed.

He won't be back. Simple as that. Liked the guy and grateful for his terrific service at the club, but it's time to move on.

I don’t necessarily agree with the vax policy either but it is what it is.

I think the club has handled it well. Happy to have him back if the rules change to a point where he is available anywhere anytime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's still on the list. No need for pre-season draft.

still on the Carlton website as a listed player (I know that's not conclusive).

I reckon if he came back, did some intensive conditioning work and came back through the VFL, who would complain?

Could pinch hgit in the ruck and/or play KPD.

Anyone thinking he wasn't going to get a new contract at the end of 2022 is kidding themselves.

I think he's still on the list. No need for mid-season draft.
If he's retired, and the paperwork was finalised, he's not. Nor is his salary, as per any mutually agreed terms.

If we're paying out his contract in full, I'd be extremely disappointed in our football department.

If he's retired, and the paperwork was finalised, he's not. Nor is his salary, as per any mutually agreed terms.

If we're paying out his contract in full, I'd be extremely disappointed in our football department.
Well you should be dissapointed then.

Were paying his salary, I would assume at the 25% discounted rate or whatever that the AFL put in place with these mandates.

And we didn't delist him as we didn't need the list spot.

Well you should be dissapointed then.

Were paying his salary, I would assume at the 25% discounted rate or whatever that the AFL put in place with these mandates.

And we didn't delist him as we didn't need the list spot.
We're 36/5/2 with a Cat A slot open for the mid-season draft, so he's not on the list.

There will be some payments on the cap, but it's a question of whether he's on the inactive list (CBA minimum), or if it was a mutually agreed termination. Given he retired, it's surely the latter.

The 25% figure you're quoting is 25% of the CBA minimum if they're retained on the list, not a 25% discount on their original TPP. Players are not being rewarded at the expense of the AFL or clubs for not vaccinating.

If the rumours of us being interested in Hooker for the MSD are true, then I see no reason why we don't take Jones if the mandates have changed.

I think there's also the issue that as Jones submitted retirement paperwork he's ineligible to play for a team this year, even if the mandates changed mid-year which is unlikely.

Not to mention he'd have to relocate back down south, do a bit of a 'preseason' to get AFL fit again, learn Voss' new system, etc. I'm not sure he's the plug-and-play option some think he is.

My understanding is he can't be drafted by another team in the MSD as he retired a few days after final list lodgment, meaning his name is still attached to our list (why we couldn't use a draft pick for his spot) for 2022, although he's not occupying an actual list spot.

I'm not sure what the dialogue between him and the club was like, but I'd guess they would have liked him making the call a few days earlier which would have given us a 2nd draft option. I mean, he probably knew what his decision was going to be all along, if he made if before the trade/FA/DFA periods I bet that would have been greatly appreciated.

There's also the possible 'side story' of Doc being incredibly immune-compromised while this was all going on, and if the refusal to vaccinate was a source of some extra tension.

All the talk out of the West seems to be that the Darling-Eagles relationship is pretty cooked now. That being said, he's a guy who decided to get married on the same day as Josh Kennedy, so it's probably a sign that he's not firing on all cylinders.

Might be one of those situations where everyone respects him as a person, yet his professional relationship with the club is tainted beyond repair.

The Jones ship has so far sailed/sunk. Crazy for people to keep raising it as a genuine option. May as well try and get SOS senior fit while we are at it.
Interesting CJMB re Darling. Good team player clearly. The wedding thing is a classic.

The Jones ship has so far sailed/sunk. Crazy for people to keep raising it as a genuine option. May as well try and get SOS senior fit while we are at it.
Interesting CJMB re Darling. Good team player clearly. The wedding thing is a classic.
I think resurrection would be a pretty crucial prerequisite before thinking about getting Serge into shape.

We're 36/5/2 with a Cat A slot open for the mid-season draft, so he's not on the list.

There will be some payments on the cap, but it's a question of whether he's on the inactive list (CBA minimum), or if it was a mutually agreed termination. Given he retired, it's surely the latter.

The 25% figure you're quoting is 25% of the CBA minimum if they're retained on the list, not a 25% discount on their original TPP. Players are not being rewarded at the expense of the AFL or clubs for not vaccinating.
Literally nothing of what you just said is correct Jim.

I think there's also the issue that as Jones submitted retirement paperwork he's ineligible to play for a team this year, even if the mandates changed mid-year which is unlikely.

Not to mention he'd have to relocate back down south, do a bit of a 'preseason' to get AFL fit again, learn Voss' new system, etc. I'm not sure he's the plug-and-play option some think he is.

My understanding is he can't be drafted by another team in the MSD as he retired a few days after final list lodgment, meaning his name is still attached to our list (why we couldn't use a draft pick for his spot) for 2022, although he's not occupying an actual list spot.

I'm not sure what the dialogue between him and the club was like, but I'd guess they would have liked him making the call a few days earlier which would have given us a 2nd draft option. I mean, he probably knew what his decision was going to be all along, if he made if before the trade/FA/DFA periods I bet that would have been greatly appreciated.

There's also the possible 'side story' of Doc being incredibly immune-compromised while this was all going on, and if the refusal to vaccinate was a source of some extra tension.

All the talk out of the West seems to be that the Darling-Eagles relationship is pretty cooked now. That being said, he's a guy who decided to get married on the same day as Josh Kennedy, so it's probably a sign that he's not firing on all cylinders.

Might be one of those situations where everyone respects him as a person, yet his professional relationship with the club is tainted beyond repair.
Where are you getting this from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back