Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are you getting this from?
Because that's how you retire as a contracted player. If he didn't retire, he'd still be on our list as an inactive player & there would be the constant press about it (like Darling until he go the jab), at least until the early May (from memory) cutoff date where the club is legally allowed to terminate a players contract.

Because that's how you retire as a contracted player. If he didn't retire, he'd still be on our list as an inactive player & there would be the constant press about it (like Darling until he go the jab), at least until the early May (from memory) cutoff date where the club is legally allowed to terminate a players contract.
He is still on our list as an inactive player. Show me anything to the contrary. There was no media about it because he and the club made it clear that he wouldn't be playing. But that occured after final list lodgement and as such he is still o our list and still getting paid 25% or 50% of his wage whatever it is, in line with AFL policy. Happy to be proven wrong here but that was 100% my recollection.

He is still on our list as an inactive player. Show me anything to the contrary. There was no media about it because he and the club made it clear that he wouldn't be playing. But that occured after final list lodgement and as such he is still o our list and still getting paid 25% or 50% of his wage whatever it is, in line with AFL policy. Happy to be proven wrong here but that was 100% my recollection.
Any player that retires after final list lodgement remains 'on the list' until the end of the current season.

I'm not sure if you're insinuating the retirement announcements were false?

Here's the AFL policy:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/685423/covid-19-vaccination-policy-for-afl-aflw-players-and-staff said:
For Players who do not comply with the Policy and do not have an approved medical exemption, from the date at which a Player is no longer able to perform their contracted services, their Clubs can:

• Transfer the Player to the inactive player list (meaning the Player can be replaced) and pay the Player 25% of (for AFLW) their contracted salary or (for AFL) the CBA minimum base salary
  • Keep the Player on their playing list (meaning the Player cannot be replaced) and pay the Player not less than 25% of (for AFLW) their contracted salary or (for AFL) 25% of the CBA minimum base salary
  • Terminate the Player’s playing contract with the agreement of the Player
  • Exercise any rights the Club may have at law to terminate the Player’s playing contract, but such rights are not to be exercised prior to 18 May 2022.

Not 100% sure here, but would guess the AFL CBA minimum base was probably 20% of under compared to the contract Jones was on.

Once retired, his pay stopped as his contract was terminated. There may have been some kind of settlement agreement, where we paid him a nominal amount to ensure he retired rather than dragging this out until 18/05/22 when we would terminate his contract. Also the club might have thought they were a slight chance to be able to replace him in the draft/DFA periods, rather than get stuck with his spot occupied until the SSP draft. Either way we're not paying him half his contract for the duration of the season. Nor should we.

Any player that retires after final list lodgement remains 'on the list' until the end of the current season.

I'm not sure if you're insinuating the retirement announcements were false?

Here's the AFL policy:

Not 100% sure here, but would guess the AFL CBA minimum base was probably 20% of under compared to the contract Jones was on.

Once retired, his pay stopped as his contract was terminated. There may have been some kind of settlement agreement, where we paid him a nominal amount to ensure he retired rather than dragging this out until 18/05/22 when we would terminate his contract. Also the club might have thought they were a slight chance to be able to replace him in the draft/DFA periods, rather than get stuck with his spot occupied until the SSP draft. Either way we're not paying him half his contract for the duration of the season. Nor should we.
This is what I assumed has occurred, have we seen anything to the contrary?

Keep the Player on their playing list (meaning the Player cannot be replaced) and pay the Player not less than 25% of (for AFLW) their contracted salary or (for AFL) 25% of the CBA minimum base salary

Don't think it was really a 'retirement' announcement, just that he wouldn't be playing in line with AFL Policy. I'd imagine if those policies changed, and he was still on the playing list, then he wouldn't be 'retired'.

Don't think it was really a 'retirement' announcement, just that he wouldn't be playing in line with AFL Policy. I'd imagine if those policies changed, and he was still on the playing list, then he wouldn't be 'retired'.
Jones is retired. I wish him well in his new life. Time to move on...

Maybe re-read his statement.

After some of our supporters wanted Levi Casboult back after the way he played on the weekend and Liam Jones now, I really hope SPS doesn’t kick a goal this weekend.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally nothing of what you just said is correct Jim.
Except that as you can see in the article linked to you, all of it is.

Agree to disagree.
Unless he has refused to submit the retirement form, he's retired. He cannot be drafted or signed until the off-season.

Except that as you can see in the article linked to you, all of it is.

Unless he has refused to submit the retirement form, he's retired. He cannot be drafted or signed until the off-season.

Nor should he be by our club this year. He refused the vaccine (his right) but he could have retired before the final list lodgement and not after which prevented our club from listing a replacement player. If Liam Jones is getting paid by our club because he made sure to retire after the final list lodgement, that is a cunning way to get paid with no intention of playing for our club.

But moving on. We are 3 and 0 this year and our 3 wins this year have come 10 rounds sooner than our first 3 wins in 2015, 4 rounds sooner than in 2016, 4 rounds sooner than in 2017, we won 2 games in 2018, 12 rounds sooner than in 2019, 3 rounds sooner than in 2020 and 4 rounds sooner than in 2021. 2015-2021 were Liam Jones’ Carlton years. We are doing fine without him.

I hope the club is keeping in touch with Jones in the chance the mandate is lifted. Clearly we have a shortage of tall defensive options down back.

Jones won't play for the club or AFL again..
It's a shame, but he is entitled to his views, as misguided and naive as they were.

He won't be back. Let's move on

The only rule I can see changing one day is that players that have been vaccinated but have contracted Covid can play in AFL games (for example Corey Durdin). But I doubt that the league will allow unvaccinated players to play in the AFL when the rest of the competition is vaccinated any time soon.

Liam Jones plays for a club in Queensland unvaccinated because he has permission to do so. He wants to play football but he wants to do it unvaccinated. The AFL won’t allow him to do it in this competition. We shouldn’t expect him back.

Explain that.

Gladly. Your post wasn’t deleted for the reason you claim, but I suspect you knew that.

Admin are cracking down on anti-vaccination arguments.

They’re on the wrong side of history.
They serve next to no purpose other than to draw people to the argument
They enable the spread of misinformation.

You are free to hold any opinion you like but BF doesn’t have to host those opinions. Feel free to discuss them elsewhere.

Hey guys. Don't know what the future holds for Liam Jones but he's playing well for one of my local teams in the QAFL this year (as expected). The boys at Palm Beach Currumbin sure are happy to have him! Hopefully the mandate is lifted later this year because I feel he's definitely too good to be playing at this level at 31 years of age.

9pE2x7B.jpg

Hey guys. Don't know what the future holds for Liam Jones but he's playing well for one of my local teams in the QAFL this year (as expected). The boys at Palm Beach Currumbin sure are happy to have him! Hopefully the mandate is lifted later this year because I feel he's definitely too good to be playing at this level at 31 years of age.

9pE2x7B.jpg
Whatever happens with the mandate it's clear that he won't be returning to Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back