Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbing what into who? He was invisible for 3.5 quarters and even Gerard Healey basically said it was all over for him. Takes an uncontested mark and then walks into a kick across goal and you have broken down into tears about repaying faith?

MM described him as: "Every now and again you come across things and you think I know this player. I've watched him now at training and I've seen one of the most explosive animals that I've ever seen and I mean that – he is totally explosive," Malthouse said.

Now you know why MM is out of a job.
They won't drop him this week, and I would love to see him come out and kick 5 or 6 and tear apart a game. The reality is that he is not up to AFL standard. He may be a good VFL player, but he cannot bridge that gap. I really hope I am wrong and he comes out kicks a bag at some stage of the year. I will gladly eat humble pie.

Broke down into tears? Really? Way to over dramatise my reaction for a cheap shot. My entire point was as someone who hasn't decided to just crap on him out the door I was glad he gave a little bit back, doesn't mean his career is saved or this will last another 5 years, like a LOT of this list it's still up in air and still has a few years before we see what settles.

Also the "Malthouse said something positive about him so he is complete garbage." arguement better be a consistent viewpoint of yours and apply to guys like Doc who came in under his watch too.

Broke down into tears? Really? Way to over dramatise my reaction for a cheap shot. My entire point was as someone who hasn't decided to just crap on him out the door I was glad he gave a little bit back, doesn't mean his career is saved or this will last another 5 years, like a LOT of this list it's still up in air and still has a few years before we see what settles.

Sure, Jonesy did well in the last quarter but IMO most posters rightly see that "Jones" is the answer to the question "Who do we delist when his contract expires."
To claim his career is still up in the air is to misunderstand that:-
(a) he came to the club as a mature-age recruit (24 last year) on a 3 year contract to provide immediate delivery as a KPF. He failed in 9 miserable games last year.
(b) any remaining doubt about his inability at AFL level is quashed by his failure to demonstrate pre-season that he was even worth a shot (until rnd 5) in the worst performing forward line in the AFL - by some margin.
(c) his "heroics" in the last quarter were marred by his near complete invisibility in the first 3.
(d) if what we want to do is build towards a Premiership, Jones has been given much much more than a solid chance to demonstrate he has no part to play.

Well according to the coach and MC Jones deserved his shot. According to the Captain and the VC post game comments - Jones played his role and continued trying despite atrocious midfield delivery. Fix the midfield and any forward will look better and play better.

If we get Neale then we have to recruit a Bob.. what a combo Neale & Bob would make!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The great Ford Fairlane:"What's your name? You must be Neil and you must be Bob. Is that like what you do? You know.....Neil and Bob"!!!
Amazing flick. Koala-burgers!! Boody-time! A flick that keeps on giving, thanks Dice Clay.

Confidence is everything in football. Jones may now have a little. If he can turn that into a lot, who knows? He has clearly improved in the ressies, earned a spot and now will get another chance against the depleted scum this week. I'm more hopeful than confident that he'll produce something but I'm happy to give him another go.

The great Ford Fairlane:"What's your name? You must be Neil and you must be Bob. Is that like what you do? You know.....Neil and Bob"!!!
Amazing flick. Koala-burgers!! Boody-time! A flick that keeps on giving, thanks Dice Clay.

Thanks snapperhead. Love it. Checking out his new show 'Dice'. It's a scripted mockumentary style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What on gods green earth are you talking about?!!
One of the funniest b-grade non-pc comedy movies out there... with a damned good cast as well...

"Shake me Jazz"...

Well according to the coach and MC Jones deserved his shot. According to the Captain and the VC post game comments - Jones played his role and continued trying despite atrocious midfield delivery. Fix the midfield and any forward will look better and play better.
As I posted previously, it would seem there were some Carlton supporters who would have been happy for Jones to miss all 3 shots on goal yesterday so they could proclaim "I told you so."

What these supporters are ignoring is that no-one is suggesting Jones is a part of the long term plans for the Carlton Football Club, but gee, he is a Carlton player & you would like to think every single Carlton supporter is backing him to have some success at the club.

I remember a time when the put downs were reserved for opposition players. Nowadays I see too many Carlton supporters who support players from other clubs more than they support our own players.

Kerridge's kick to Jones in the last quarter is what mobile key forwards want all day.

"So many ****oles.. So few bullets"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back