Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

ASOS wins hands down. A lot cooler under pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Loving what LJ has brought to the backline, and this is just a thought, but is he now a possible factor in a trade for Kelly?

I would be shocked if we offered him a 3 year deal, anything more than a 12 month extension would be obscene, perhaps throw in a trigger for an extension. The boy has done well, but lets put it in context he has been on our list for 3 seasons and has played 2 AFL worthy games.
Errr .... you do know the winning % when the beast plays is higher than without him playing?
Did you read the sign of the door?
The Temple of Liam Jones ..... the beast did his part today.

One area of improvement for Jones in what is otherwise the perfect footballer: Double fist-punching to ball when he could take a mark. Probably due to confidence and only just starting the position, however I've noted a few times now he's gone the double fister when he could take an almost uncontested mark. I've seen maybe one per game since he's come in, so it isn't chronic Sam Rowe style of refusing to mark a ball, but it is an area he could improve on.

One area of improvement for Jones in what is otherwise the perfect footballer: Double fist-punching to ball when he could take a mark. Probably due to confidence and only just starting the position, however I've noted a few times now he's gone the double fister when he could take an almost uncontested mark. I've seen maybe one per game since he's come in, so it isn't chronic Sam Rowe style of refusing to mark a ball, but it is an area he could improve on.

Tough one, depends on many factors. Confidence, awareness, structure, instructions.

Seen young guys like WC Barrass using great judgement to mark rather than punch, most times not causing an opposition goal. It is never 100% strike rate.

Love what Jones is doing right now, especially from where he has come from

Jones v ASOS returning could be an interesting selection dilemma. It might cost marchbank, Weitering or plowman their spots which is going to only improve the competitive edge of our backline.
FB: Weitering A.Silvagni Plowman
HB: Byrne Jones Marchbank
C: Docherty Murphy Simpson
HF: SPS C.Curnow Fisher
FF: J.Silvagni Casboult Wright

R: Kreuzer Cripps Gibbs

Int: E.Curnow, Cuningham, Thomas, Williamson

I wrote LJ off, but one thing i did notice in the games he has played under bolts as a forward was his attack and 2nd efforts. His bought this as a defender and it looks like he's found his niche.

This was really noticeable on the weekend where majority of our players would miss a tackle or be slightly out of position and give up or just jog 10m behind any opponent.

LJ was busting his ass even if he couldn't impact the contest. One instance stands out where martin got the ball and had Simpson on his tale. LJ tried to tackle martin but Simpson and LJ basically ran into eachother and martin handballed the ball, LJ instantly back on his feet sprinting back while simpson is still getting back to his feet.

Pretty sure LJ didn't impact the next contest but this is the mentality everyone on our list needs. Everyone will make mistakes and be out of position but if they bust their nut to impact the next contest or apply some sort of pressure. It only takes a slight fumble, bad bounce or a bad decision caused by pressure, or even preceived pressure to cause a turnover or a stoppage.

I know workrate doesn't mean you'll make it, but it helps bring the best out of you and i think LJs best is a direct replacement for rowe as a good key defender for the next 5 years.

Errr .... you do know the winning % when the beast plays is higher than without him playing****?
Did you read the sign of the door?
The Temple of Liam Jones ..... the beast did his part today.
****Under Bolton****

Updated stats:
Jones in the team under Bolton = 7-4
Jones out of the team under Bolton = 5-19

****We were only 1-8 with Jones in the side under Malthouse****

The resurrection of Jones could be complete after this weekend.

Patton - Jones would have been forgiven (lambasted ), if nerves got the better of him. Returning to play against a more than capable forward, in a premiership contending side, was a big ask. Despite Patton being a no frills (lack of sideways movement and repeat leads), straight leading forward, Jones backed himself countless times. Actually made me smile

Lynch - With conditions not being favourable for KPF's, Lynch has way more athleticism, than Patton and Liam would have been aware of this. Jones continued to attack the ball, at its highest point, whether that be marking or spoiling. His body work was exceptional, played on the edge, which caused a couple of frees against, but did not ultimately hurt the side.

Riewoldt? - A different proposition again. He is more agile and has more tricks to his game than the 2 previous. If Liam gets on top early, Riewoldt will get frustrated and will start to give up on the contest, if he fails to mark the ball. I am backing Jones to take another scalp.

What is actually even more impressive, than his marking contests, is his composure and decision making when disposing of the ball.

I thought, that when Jones, was against Riewoldt, that he beat him comfortably. Unfortunately, with Jones being used as the last defender of our zone defense, players like Castagna, should have been picked up by more agile defenders and Jones should have been instructed to stay close to Riewoldt.

This week, Adelaide's line up will suit Jones/Us better. Try one of 2 match-ups. Either stay with Walker all day, which will leave Jenkins, to outsize our other defenders. What I would try, is something slightly different, allow him to take Jenkins. Even when Jenkins spends some time in the Ruck, I would instruct Jones to follow him. This would also ensure we are not too top heavy with Walker, Lynch, Otten, Cameron, Betts, Beech remaining in the forward line.

I thought, that when Jones, was against Riewoldt, that he beat him comfortably. Unfortunately, with Jones being used as the last defender of our zone defense, players like Castagna, should have been picked up by more agile defenders and Jones should have been instructed to stay close to Riewoldt.

This week, Adelaide's line up will suit Jones/Us better. Try one of 2 match-ups. Either stay with Walker all day, which will leave Jenkins, to outsize our other defenders. What I would try, is something slightly different, allow him to take Jenkins. Even when Jenkins spends some time in the Ruck, I would instruct Jones to follow him. This would also ensure we are not too top heavy with Walker, Lynch, Otten, Cameron, Betts, Beech remaining in the forward line.
When Jones followed Riewoldt up the ground, Jones had to leave to attack the contest, at which point Riewoldt skated forward. That's why he started sitting back a bit more.

Richmond played cheap football all day and it worked for them. That's the only way they've ever beaten us well in the last 25 years. They roll the dice like that against any team on a better day and they'll get smashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's fair to say he's played "more than just one good game" now...

Playing incredible, inspired footy right now. Just a different man at the moment and it's bringing all those great physical tools he has to the fore. Leaping and marking over packs and his direct opponents... spoiling things he has no right to reach. Run downs from behind with his speed.

Never saw it coming myself, though the likes of HARKS etc at VFL level had some idea.

Has received coaches votes three out of four weeks he has played and in Carltons best in all his four games this year...........think about that.

Can't say just how pleased I am for Liam and if he starts heading our runs this next pre-season, I'll have to take up a faith. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back