Retired 14. Liam Jones

woof39

Debutant
Oct 25, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Losing Jones this early at least gives us an entire pre season to work out our gam plan without him. Losing a player during the pre season and onwards has a much bigger negative effect on the team.

Add the fact that Voss will be changing our game plan regardless (in all areas), means it is probably the best time to lose such a key pillar in our team. It's the only positive I can see out of this from an on field prospective.

How our entire team defence is structured will change. We should never have got to the point where Jones and Weitering are forced into so many one on one's in the first place.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Pedants gonna pedant I guess! I entirely reject the premise that comparisons need to fit a 1:1 mold. Perhaps when taking an entirely narrowed legal view as opposed to one of common sense, but I don't think that's fit for purpose on a discussion board!
You're complaining about a feature of the language you're using.

You've also agreed with CJMB above who has kindly set stricter parameters for my comparison if that is necessary for you to feel contented. Let's just leave it at that.
I agreed that his version of your scenario would have been more apt, but to my knowledge no-one retired instead of going to the hubs. Stocker, on the other hand, went to the hubs and returned for whatever reason, and was back again playing last year; this highlights the fact that your comparison was not apt, and was therefore a false equivalence.

If you do not want things explained to you as though you are a child, do not object to commonplace things.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I guess the question I have here is: will he always find the same choices in broader society?

Seems to me only a matter of time before those that elect for non vax are permitted to participate in most, if not all, activities other than in areas of health. We can't keep them cut off from society forever. We're already seeing the Feds start to push this issue and, if I recall correctly, NSW have already indicated they will be able to do many things after Dec 15 that they can't now.
Of course that will be the case at some stage. Liam and the like might even be able to return.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes. Jones was forced to make a "choice".

The "choice" was retirement.

The "choice" was forced.

No, he he had a series of choices.
1- Jab or no jab.
2- If no jab, inactive list or retirement.

It was never retirement or retirement, and any attempt to spin it that way is BS.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I think people are too focused on the word “forced” and taking it literally to mean “the AFL forced Liam Jones to retire.”

Maybe “Liam Jones was between a rock and hard place” would have been a better expression. The league didn’t force Liam Jones to retire but as he didn’t want the jab, he was “forced” to make a decision that would have meant he wasn’t playing AFL in 2022.

Liam couldn’t have just sat back, done nothing and turned up for training on Monday as an unvaccinated player. So he was forced to make a decision that he wouldn’t have needed to make two months ago

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Losing Jones this early at least gives us an entire pre season to work out our gam plan without him.

A good structure shouldn't focus on individuals and rather focus on roles and positions.

No doubt Jones is a loss, but if the team all play their roles and work together as a team then I have no doubt that this loss won't be as big as initially thought.

I honestly thought Jones was better when he played primarily as a lock down defender. When her began to add offensive tools such as intercepting more and trying to zone off, he became far less consistent and had more goals kicked on my him each week.

Not saying this was a bad thing as he had se really good games, but I still remember when he towelled up buddy early in his transition to defense and thought this is exactly what we need each week.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
He should not be allowed to have that opportunity in 2022 which would have been the last year on his Carlton contract. He should be made to wait a year.
I tend to agree given we couldnt replace on the list in the draft due to AFL rules

Beyond Blue

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
He should not be allowed to have that opportunity in 2022 which would have been the last year on his Carlton contract. He should be made to wait a year.
I doubt there is any chance the AFL changes it’s policy and allows unvaccinated players to play, but I wonder if by this Jones means he is willing to get a Novovax shot when its available?

Apparently Anderson is worried about Phizer after having an adverse reaction to his first shot but North believe he will have a Novovax jab.

I hope the club canvassed all these options with him before agreeing to part ways.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
I doubt there is any chance the AFL changes it’s policy and allows unvaccinated players to play, but I wonder if by this Jones means he is willing to get a Novovax shot when its available?

Apparently Anderson is worried about Phizer after having an adverse reaction to his first shot but North believe he will have a Novovax jab.

I hope the club canvassed all these options with him before agreeing to part ways.

Considering the amount of coin at stake, pretty sure Liam would be well aware without having to be told. The way he said policy change makes me presume a different vaccine is off the table and he has gone full Joe Rogan.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Have some compassion . Everyone should start being kinder to one another. He is not a dickhead. Have some respect for other peoples opinions
Spot on. The level of emotional intelligence on this board is at an all time low.

Hope Liam is enjoying life, his way.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

TheArchitect

Team Captain
Mar 27, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
With QLD removing Vax mandates recently, the likelihood of Victoria following their lead remains low but a possibility. If it was going to happen I could see it being after the depths of Winter - August or so.

Would that allow Liam Jones to return to playing if that happened? I am unsure of the technicalities.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
With QLD removing Vax mandates recently, the likelihood of Victoria following their lead remains low but a possibility. If it was going to happen I could see it being after the depths of Winter - August or so.

Would that allow Liam Jones to return to playing if that happened? I am unsure of the technicalities.

Would be up to the AFL to change their policy which is less likely.

We are better off developing someone for the longer term regardless I think.

Back