Delisted #14: Slammin' Sam Lonergan - Has announced his retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

I demand Slammin' Sam antics in Rd 1, then.

Yes more of the same please.

Every time Slamin Sam breaks Carlton bones a puppy dog somewhere is saved from the needle.

I just don't get the love for this guy. i know he gives 100%. But on the other hand:

- he's completely useless outside of a stoppage situation
- that means he's never gonna get the ball upwards of 18 odd times a game
- now i understand 'quality over quantity'....but his clearance work is totally over-rated. he doesn't smash his way to the ball, break a tackle, use his speed to get away and put out a great kick to a leading forward. he positions himself well, the ball lands in his leap....and he snaps a kick out. It's a clearance. It's 50/50 whether the ball stays with us. It's not good enough. A broken clock....

I just don't get the love. He's like Slattery. He was serviceable when we were shitty. He is not part of a top 4 team.

I mean, he could dramatically improve. But he's 25. I think you guys forget that. You treat him like Robert Walls treated Jarrod Waite. You know, going on about how this kid could be a star and all that, when Waite was already ****ing 25.

Explain me to why you love him, cause outside of giving 100%, like Mark Bolton and Kepler Bradley did, I don't understand it

The stats will say he had (at least) 3 clearances in the last quarter tonight. Immediately you'd think "YES! Gun play!".... They were all the same clearance. The ball landed in his leap, he snaped the ball to a 50/50, maybe 2 on 1 due to a loose man behind play. We even got the better of the 50/50 once or twice, but really, we're better off just leaving the ball at the stoppage and hoping we somehow land a free-kick or something. or kicking it 60 meters like myers can.

so we meet again Sam. #never4get

btw david king indirectly wrote about why Lonergan was actually a pretty terrible clearance player the other day, more or less using my points:

The Cats still try to win clearances, but only at speed to obtain a clean getaway.

They deploy only minimal numbers inside the congestion - the ruckman and generally just one other, usually Joel Selwood or Allen Christensen.

That midfield pairing will charge with an all-or-nothing attitude knowing the opposition has committed more numbers around the hit-out drop zone, 2- 3m away from the ruck contest.

One slick handball to the edge of the stoppage area and the Cats are gone.

Geelong's acceptance of clearance failure is reflected in their competition ranking of 18th, averaging 7.5 fewer clearances than their opponents each week.

The territory battle from clearances is an anomaly against Geelong.

The rushed 40m kick forward more often than not ends up going 50m in the other direction. It is counter-productive to play the territory game against them.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...football-forever/story-e6frepex-1226645548410

Doesn't make him a poor clearance player. Just depends on structures ahead of the clearance zone. If he's throwing it on the boot to a Hurley or Ryder one-one-on one with Davey at the drop, that's a good result. But as we know, even this year, with an extra man behind the ball, our clearance work with resultant long-bombs is effectively not even a zero-result, but negatived on the rebound counter-attack.

Will be good to see Sammy again, was always a fan of the old-knock style he brought!

Pretty poor performance like him, although not unexpected as that kind of performance is more often than not what he served up for us. Glad he is no longer a Bomber.

Sadly, my last memory of him as a player was the absolute 'mare he had against us in the Dreamtime game this year.

Was a solid servant for us, no more but no less.

Hope he does well in the next phase of his life.

My favourite memory of Sammy was his work in winning the clearance that resulted in us rebounding from Collingwood's forward 50 and eventually getting the winning goal during that ANZAC day game.

My favourite memory of Sam was probably his work on Game of Thrones.

Nailed that role.

Subtle, funny, witty and requiring some thought to appreciate.

9/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back