#14 Toby Bedford (Traded in, 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Toby Bedford.png

Demons small forward Toby Bedford has become a GIANT on day six of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

The GIANTS completed a trade with Melbourne on Monday, sending pick 44 to the Demons in exchange for the lively goal-kicker.

The 22-year-old played 18 games over four seasons for the Demons after being selected at pick 75 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft as a Next-Generation Academy selection. He hit the scoreboard on all but two occasions in season 2022, kicking nine goals from eight games and named another eight times as the sub. He was also a member of Casey’s VFL premiership winning side this season. Bedford is a proud Bunuba man, hailing from Fitzroy Crossing, a four-hour drive from Broome in Western Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Bedford has proven to be an extremely astute pick up by GWS. He's formed a brilliant duo with Binga Daniels as pressure forwards.

Potentially he's the buy of the 2022 trade period.

Toby Bedford has proven to be an extremely astute pick up by GWS. He's formed a brilliant duo with Binga Daniels as pressure forwards.

Potentially he's the buy of the 2022 trade period.
Nothing potentially about it. No trade has performed as well or as above expectation as Snooze.

All a footballer really wants – aside from winning – is to feel wanted. To feel like not just another body in boots for a coach to boss around, but an important cog in a bigger machine. Toby Bedford reckons he was getting some of that at Melbourne, but actions speak louder than words. And so do numbers: over four seasons on their senior list, he played just 18 games.

Since arriving at the Giants at the start of the year, he has played 17, and only missed the others due to injury and suspension. Number 18 will come on Saturday night, when the surging ‘Orange Tsunami’ laps at the famous old gates of Adelaide Oval for their semi-final against Port Adelaide. The Giants can’t believe their luck. And nor can Bedford, who they landed in exchange for a third-round draft pick.

“It’s a bargain buy,” said teammate Brent Daniels, the Giants’ other dynamic small forward. “I think he’s been the best recruit of the year, by far, for any club. “To be honest, I didn’t know a whole lot about him before he got here. But looking back on it now, you’re thinking, ‘How wasn’t he getting a game?’ The things he’s done with us have been unbelievable.”

GWS had been speaking to Bedford’s management early last season, aware they would more than likely be trading out Bobby Hill at the end of it. The 23-year-old was flattered by the interest, but determined to first do everything he could to work his way into Simon Goodwin’s team at the Demons. “When I couldn’t do that, that’s when those conversations got pretty serious,” he said.

“They were really good to me, they let me play out my childhood dream. But it’s pretty hard to break into that team. I definitely felt valued at Melbourne, but to come here and know that they really, really value me here ... the coaches and the boys got around me from day one.”

“They might actually be our most valuable players, in terms of when they’re out, how different are side looks, and what they provide to our team,” said star midfielder Tom Green. “We did miss them sorely when we Port Adelaide last time, and I think that it’ll be fantastic having them. And I think on the weekend sort of justified why we fought so hard to get Toby Bedford off - he was just phenomenal on the weekend in such a big and important game. They are both super pivotal to us. And it’s really exciting that we’re going to be going over this time with them both.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back