Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the four today he has the most claim to a spot - could easily contribute at any number of teams IMO. I can see why they made the call, but I think he's stiff on a personal level. Hope he gets another shot.

Don't understand his delisting, he still had something to offer.

All the best Trent.

He has something to offer but I can see why they made the call. We hit the end of 2021 season with Powell, Hayden, Lazzarro (amongst others - Polec?) out of the team all with claims to a spot. Cunnington to come back in as well. We need spots to develop players, we have Perez coming back in. I can see why the call was made even if I have zero doubt that Dumont could contribute as a best 22 player next year. We have Taylor, Ford, JHF and others that need positions as well... Tough call but arguably the right one for 2023 onwards. Nobody will accuse the list management team of getting ahead of themselves - they could be forgiven after last years delistings and a decent turn of form in the back half of seeing us as ahead of where we need to be.

He will get a shot, just depends if he wants it.

Adelaide, GCS, Swans could all use him.
I don't think so. They all had an opportunity to take him as a free agent.

Too many are overrating Dumont. Sure he did well in a few B&F counts but look where we finished in those years...
He isn't good enough to play as an inside mid. He can't play back or forward and the modern day winger is quick and/or has penetration on their kick.
If a team finishing bottom doesn't want you it's unlikely anyone else will either. Atley i could see but not Dumont. He'll do well in the SANFL just like Gibbs and Hartung.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Egg on my face.... Really thought he was solid for us and would be invaluable depth in our young team.

Good luck Trent

We get a couple of injuries next year like we did last year you can bank on us being bottom 4. By delisting players like Dumont & Frog our depth is going to be severely tested.

If I had it my way Dumont would be on the list over Hayden, Young and probably a few others.

It’s been a pleasure watching you become a good role player and even better person off the field Froggy. Hope you get a chance elsewhere.

He has something to offer but I can see why they made the call. We hit the end of 2021 season with Powell, Hayden, Lazzarro (amongst others - Polec?) out of the team all with claims to a spot. Cunnington to come back in as well. We need spots to develop players, we have Perez coming back in. I can see why the call was made even if I have zero doubt that Dumont could contribute as a best 22 player next year. We have Taylor, Ford, JHF and others that need positions as well... Tough call but arguably the right one for 2023 onwards. Nobody will accuse the list management team of getting ahead of themselves - they could be forgiven after last years delistings and a decent turn of form in the back half of seeing us as ahead of where we need to be.
Sounds reasonable, but considering how quickly we have turned over the playing list (almost 30 players in three years) I wouldn't have been too upset if we kept some depth while the youngsters are developing and Dumont was the most likely considering his age and what he can offer, we not exactly strong in defensive midfielders.

I'm sure Brady and his team have a plan and to date everything has been heading in positive direction. So...

In Brady I Trust

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing us get absolutely annihilated on transition as we did earlier in the year when Frog wasn't playing. As good as we think our young mids are, they're all ball hunters and they need that structural balance on the outside. But ****ed if I know who's going to provide it now. The only option is to have one of our many talented mids sacrifice their own game for the team.

This is just a ******* bullshit decision on a player who's still in the best 12-15 players at the club, and even higher with a full pre-season and the absence of calf injuries.

But anyway, I'm glad we freed up a spot on the list for the 72nd and 77th best 18 year old in the country by cutting a bloke who is universally admired and respected at the club for his workrate and dedication.

He was already sacrificing his own natural game (inside midfielder) to play that defensive role. it's been rumoured for ages that he was looking elsewhere and his impact since coming back into the side made a difference but he was still pretty badly out of form and made costly mistakes. i imagine they did this so he's free to cross to one of the SA clubs as a delisted free agent, as a favour to him so he's not competing for a spot against players with far higher ceilings with more footy ahead of them.

I look forward to seeing us get absolutely annihilated on transition as we did earlier in the year when Frog wasn't playing. As good as we think our young mids are, they're all ball hunters and they need that structural balance on the outside. But f’ed if I know who's going to provide it now. The only option is to have one of our many talented mids sacrifice their own game for the team.

This is just a ******* bullshit decision on a player who's still in the best 12-15 players at the club, and even higher with a full pre-season and the absence of calf injuries.

But anyway, I'm glad we freed up a spot on the list for the 72nd and 77th best 18 year old in the country by cutting a bloke who is universally admired and respected at the club for his workrate and dedication.
Has James McDonald vibes. Look how well that went.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back