Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

As EmptyChair said
“I'm glad we freed up a spot on the list for the 72nd and 77th best 18 year old in the country by cutting a bloke who is universally admired and respected at the club for his workrate and dedication.”

Yeah, I read that one highly debatable opinion. Still nothing close to what you suggested, and I don't understand why you think it proves your point.

But anyway, I'm glad we freed up a spot on the list for the 72nd and 77th best 18 year old in the country by cutting a bloke who is universally admired and respected at the club for his workrate and dedication.
So like a potential nick larkey (pick 73) or zurhaar (rookie)

Your point completely dismisses the fact that dumont in all likelihood didn't want to be in Melbourne anymore. His omission from the leadership team definitely points to that. So let's sign on someone that doesn't want to be here and isn't good enough moving forward. Not getting picked up by any other team shows you just how highly he's rated. Can't bite us in the arse from the SANFL.

Bit of a rough one for Froggy.

The SA clubs basically sent him unwanted dick pics every trade period for the last couple years, and now that he finds himself out of a relationship he finds out they've ghosted him.

Hopefully gets picked up as a DFA, but they had the opportunity to take him as a free agent anyway so I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

In the long-run it's probably the right call, however, harsh. We're going to have some real issues fitting some of the guys in our midfield over the next couple of years, and while we're s**t we need to get the game time into them so they hit their straps around the same time.

I doubt we just cut him. Strong rumours he's wanted out for a couple years, but he's not been able to make it happen. Wouldn't surprise me if we offered him a contract with him fully aware he'll be playing vfl a fair bit, and he's decided to take his chance as a DFA. Playing sanfl in his home state is probably much more attractive than VFL away from home.

I look forward to seeing us get absolutely annihilated on transition as we did earlier in the year when Frog wasn't playing. As good as we think our young mids are, they're all ball hunters and they need that structural balance on the outside. But f’ed if I know who's going to provide it now. The only option is to have one of our many talented mids sacrifice their own game for the team.

This is just a ******* bullshit decision on a player who's still in the best 12-15 players at the club, and even higher with a full pre-season and the absence of calf injuries.

But anyway, I'm glad we freed up a spot on the list for the 72nd and 77th best 18 year old in the country by cutting a bloke who is universally admired and respected at the club for his workrate and dedication.

If we can't teach someone else to do what Dumont did, we should sack the coaching staff or fold the club. He ran into defence and played deep to help out the defence which was valuable because the ball spent so much time down there, but it wasn't anything 50 other players do in the comp. His opponent would get off the leash regularly, particularly in 1st halves, because he just couldn't keep up.

For mine, Taylor and Scott showed an ability to do it last year while Walker looked good in the role at VFL level.

I don't think so. They all had an opportunity to take him as a free agent.

Too many are overrating Dumont. Sure he did well in a few B&F counts but look where we finished in those years...
He isn't good enough to play as an inside mid. He can't play back or forward and the modern day winger is quick and/or has penetration on their kick.
If a team finishing bottom doesn't want you it's unlikely anyone else will either. Atley i could see but not Dumont. He'll do well in the SANFL just like Gibbs and Hartung.

Can still take him as a DFA so thats not really a factor.

I think he can provide depth for a club who is thereabouts.

Speaks to some kind of a personality clash imo.
Or maybe a reflection of actually how sh*te we've been and how conditioned we've become as supporters to accept mediocrity?

Great attitude, neat enough most times, back to back top 3, then not a club in the land interested.... Perhaps it actually says more about the whole list during that time than it does just about Frog?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt we just cut him. Strong rumours he's wanted out for a couple years, but he's not been able to make it happen. Wouldn't surprise me if we offered him a contract with him fully aware he'll be playing vfl a fair bit, and he's decided to take his chance as a DFA. Playing sanfl in his home state is probably much more attractive than VFL away from home.
All false. * Threw him a 4 year deal in 2018 and he told them to get stuffed because he was shinboner through and through. Being cut from the leadership group hurt him big time but he was the bigger man and put so much into developing the kids. Look at Insta, the love from his teammates is massive. We offered him nothing. Signing Lynch has raised a few eyebrows in the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As EmptyChair said
“I'm glad we freed up a spot on the list for the 72nd and 77th best 18 year old in the country by cutting a bloke who is universally admired and respected at the club for his workrate and dedication.”

You mean like a Charlie Ham type?

Very sad to see Froggy go this way. Despite what others may say, I think he deserved another year. In my opinion it was no coincidence that when he and Taz returned in the second half of the year, we started to perform better and win a game or two. Now they are both gone and our experienced ranks are again diminished.

Assuming that he might have been retained as the last player on the list, it will be interesting to see this time next year, just how well the player who replaces him has fared.

There will be one way to see if this delisting is a bad call.

When Frog came back from injury we had 2 x defensive wingers chasing tail, filling voids and chopping the defence out in general.

Transition could be a ball breaker next season. Creating a gameplan where 20-22 year olds are expected to haul arse defensively is laughable. 1 or 2 might but collectively it will be a fail imo.

Anyway, good luck

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There will be one way to see if this delisting is a bad call.

When Frog came back from injury we had 2 x defensive wingers chasing tail, filling voids and chopping the defence out in general.

Transition could be a ball breaker next season. Creating a gameplan where 20-22 year olds are expected to haul arse defensively is laughable. 1 or 2 might but collectively it will be a fail imo.

Anyway, good luck

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It will be interesting to see what happens in that regard, I can certainly see the potential for a lot of trouble. Noble trying to use players more used to being defenders as his wingmen, something that is relatively rare, might go some way towards solving that though.

Top bloke is Froggy. One of the nicest blokes Mrs Toes and I have chatted to at the Syd Barker nights. Humble to the core and respectful. I reckon he’ll be missed around the group.

All the best to ya Froggy.

Top bloke is Froggy. One of the nicest blokes Mrs Toes and I have chatted to at the Syd Barker nights. Humble to the core and respectful. I reckon he’ll be missed around the group.

All the best to ya Froggy.
Few years back took the nephew to training. Nephew was very shy to go up to any players, but Froggy made his way over and had a chat to him for a few minutes. Made his day.

Good guy, good player. All the best to him with whatever comes next 👍

Thanks Froggy for 113 games at the club. Think he was stiff to be delisted but hopefully he gets better opportunities elsewhere. Still remember how excited I was to watch him make an immediate impact as a sub against Geelong in 2015 with an assist and clutch goal when the game was in the balance in the fourth quarter. As a 19 year old too. Thought we had a quality player here, and he had some fantastic years with us. All the best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back