Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi all, surprised he got cut. Didn't he just have a career best year last year?

Any clarity on the sort of player he is? Defensive inside mid/wingman?

What are his weaknesses and why did he get delisted?

hoffseason gains

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He’s at best as a defensive wingman, not the most athletic or quickest, not the best kick (neat kick at best) , but was one of the best trainers at the club and runs all day when fit. Unfortunately had an interrupted preseason with a calf problem, probably rushed back a bit early, never really got back to his best. Used to put on heaps of pressure but just couldn’t do that this year without a preseason.

AFL quality player but nothing to write home about.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I think it boils down to slowish pace, generally average skills, and not having that much hurt factor.

His preferred position is an inside mid but he has mostly played as a defensive winger after developing very good endurance over a couple of years. He is exceptionally good at playing a role and takes his training seriously. A good bloke by all reports too. He's the type of person that can cover for the deficiencies of more offensively inclined players. Even though he isn't particularly quick he is dogged with his defensive efforts and will gut run both ways.

Picked an awful year to have a 6 month calf injury in a team that is starting to burst at the seams with young and very promising midfielders.

EDIT: For what it's worth I wish we retained him. I think that at best he would regain some form/fitness and be able to cover for the kids as they focus on bringing their offensive game online. At worst he would have been exceptional midfield depth and a good leader in the VFL.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none

He is another Levi Greenwood but better skilled. Should be worth at least 850 a year at Collingwood.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Still think he’s been wanting out of Melbourne for a few years now. Bad timing as he was injured for most of it and then when he came back he wasn’t lighting it up. Not only that but he was pushed out by our youth.

He will be picked up as DFA in SA I reckon. Hope he can re-establish himself on his home deck.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There will be one way to see if this delisting is a bad call.

When Frog came back from injury we had 2 x defensive wingers chasing tail, filling voids and chopping the defence out in general.

Transition could be a ball breaker next season. Creating a gameplan where 20-22 year olds are expected to haul arse defensively is laughable. 1 or 2 might but collectively it will be a fail imo.

Anyway, good luck

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’ll have the ball!

Another season of running into LDU and Thomas. Powell will be back.

Phillips another year fitter.

I reckon we’ll be right mate!

Jason will help as he’s a savage defensive animal.

Worrying about missing the defensive application of Trent is concerning, he might have wanted to, but he was useless given his top speed was half that of his opponents.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd say he was one of the major (besides the blitz from Thomas and LDU) reasons we won our first game this year.

In the dying minutes, a couple of kicks came into our D50 just beyond the flank and froggy was there to intercept or as a free option to extract. He's clever and knows where to position himself to maximise the rebound. It makes life much easier when you have those types of players.

I guess the downside for him was when he's forced into a rushed kick but most players will stuff it up too.

It's a head scratcher... I guess he's not zippy and clinical enough? Might just be the reason.

You just can't replace how hard he works. That's the benchmark for his replacement.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Still think he’s been wanting out of Melbourne for a few years now. Bad timing as he was injured for most of it and then when he came back he wasn’t lighting it up. Not only that but he was pushed out by our youth.

He will be picked up as DFA in SA I reckon. Hope he can re-establish himself on his home deck.
Agree to disagree, list spots are tight. Rookied at best I think.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good on him. Played the interview well and stayed on message regarding injuries holding him back this year and how he's now in the clear. Handled the questions about his interactions with the club very respectfully too, probably giving greater context than he needed to. He sounded exceptionally level headed and I genuinely hope he does find his way onto a list and proves himself right.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Sam fishing ‘are you disappointed with North’.
Glad Trent said no

Everything you hear about Trent is about how decent a human he is. He'd have been hurting, and he very well may know his own actions (allegedly) flirting with other clubs last year may have impacted his chances this year but the club stood by him 100% when he had his early court case. It's why you'd be surprised to hear a bad word from Maj, not just from the accident but from his own early time in court. Reality has to set in.

I'm very sad to see him go because I've been a big fan of his since we drafted him but he's genuinely a victim of timing. He probably is best 22 in 2022 but he doesn't have a lot of strings to his bow. Unfortunately where we want to be he can't be best 22 in 2023 so what do we do? Offer him a year? Free agency was brought in by the AFLPA to give these guys a chance to freely solidify and secure their last years in the game and we couldn't fairly, with no idea of cap or list sizes down the track, give him more. It's genuinely disappointing he couldn't find a home in free agency because that devalued a guy that deserved more.

Was a bit surprised to see he was delisted, but hopefully for you guys it opens up more opportunities for the Powell/Phillips/Thomas types.

Does Trent play his best footy in the middle or on the wing? Ideally for us it'd be the former.

Was a bit surprised to see he was delisted, but hopefully for you guys it opens up more opportunities for the Powell/Phillips/Thomas types.

Does Trent play his best footy in the middle or on the wing? Ideally for us it'd be the former.
He was drafted as an inside mid and can collect the ball at will as an inside mid at VFL level.

He trimmed up about 3-4 years ago to become that defensive winger with a big tank. He was moved back into the middle a little bit more in 2020, but wasn't as influential there being in an average team. Was moved back to near full-time wing duties during 2021, but his form was solid without being great in an average team and coming off a few niggles. He made a noticeable difference to our defensive running and structures in the second half of the year.

He would benefit from senior support at Port and can play that defensive mid or wing role with a high degree of reliability. I suppose it also depends on what you guys do with Amon (huge fan of him BTW) as a winger or give him more inside time like 2021.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I honestly find it a hard question to answer. His best football has been when playing a defensive minded role, regardless of whether that is more inside or outside. His best attributes are his tank, gut running, and ability to stick to a task. Unfortunately he's mid paced so the gut running isn't overly valuable, and his skills have been all over the shop over the course of his career. Has shown some really good and smart kicking into the 50 at times, but other times (like last year) he's average at best.

IMO he's the kind of bloke you use to minimize the defensive shortcomings of others. So a winger when our other options included Polec, or in the middle for large periods in 2020 when most of the other players going through there were basically kids.

Overall he'll run all day and do all the thankless chasing etc that your coaches ask of him, and while he might not look like much in isolation what he does may well be enough to get an extra 5% out of some of your other players while also harassing the opposition enough to hinder them slightly. I'm glad you've picked him up, a team genuinely trying to assault the premiership are probably the type to be able to maximise his value.

Definitely inside mid. He’s not quick enough or skillful enough to be a wingmen. He can find the footy however and hes a crafty inside 50 kick.

Back