Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh come on. Has everyone here gone totally mad? If we could get pick 25 for him, I’d take it and run like I’d stolen something. Dumont is a plodder, that’s the fact of the matter. Sure, he might be popular and a good team man but that’s where his value ends. He is limited in everything he does: runs like he’s stuck in treacle, poor disposer by foot, can’t kick over a jam jar, bad decision-maker under pressure etc etc. A couple of decent smothers can’t disguise the fact he was almost non-existent on Monday night. If we’re going to progress as a team in the next few years, we need a wingman who plays like a wingman - fast, dynamic, breaks lines, kicks long … like the bloke on the other wing with the perm and long-sleeved guernsey.

and what happens when the ball goes the other way ? all very well having the cream on top players, but sometimes you need the cake types too. Froggy works his bum off that makes him valuable IMO.

Think you're selling him too short with his disposal etc too. Not a superstar but does a hell of a lot right.

Massive insult to Adam Simpson.

Like huge.

The day Trent Dumont has 44, and completely dominates a midfield of Ablett, Corey, Chapman, Kelly, Johnson etc etc etc I’ll shut up.

He’s an enormous plodder

Yes, Adam Simpson got 41 possessions in a midfield that included premiership mid/forwards Shannon Grant and Brent Harvey as well as emerging mids in Andrew Swallow and Daniel Wells.

That day was clearly an anomaly for Geelong. Their star-studded sided hadn't gelled yet, in fact that day was the impetus for it.

How much of an anomaly?

We played Geelong again that year. Want to know Adam Simpson's totals against "Ablett, Corey, Chapman, Kelly, Johnson etc etc etc" the next time he played them?

Round 20 2007 - 10 disposals.

We can both cherry-pick statistics.

His two smothers in the clutch on Monday night we’re just as important as Goldy’s mark in the square and LDU’s breakdance to set up Cunners goal.

Watch the replay with both eyes open and you’ll see his worth to our side.

There's an old adage about what you do for the 118 minutes when you don't have the footy, and that's where Frog's value is (as well as being very neat and tidy when he has it, generally making excellent decisions with good skills). Go and watch the replay and count how many times you see him busting a gut to make overlap leads into space, forcing a defender to respect his lead and opening up space for a half forward. Go count how many times he's pushing into space providing outlet options deep in defensive 50. Go count how many times he's perfectly positioned on the fat side wing to prevent easy exits for the Eagles' excellent kicking game.

I hate saying this sort of stuff but it's particularly true here, anyone who doesn't rate Frog has a superficial understanding of the game. It's as simple as that.

It's not the 90s anymore. Wingers are arguably the most important structural player in the team in the modern game because both offensive and defensive transition is so important. I've said this before, but go read Mitch Robinson's piece on it from a couple of years ago.

There's an old adage about what you do for the 118 minutes when you don't have the footy, and that's where Frog's value is (as well as being very neat and tidy when he has it, generally making excellent decisions with good skills). Go and watch the replay and count how many times you see him busting a gut to make overlap leads into space, forcing a defender to respect his lead and opening up space for a half forward. Go count how many times he's pushing into space providing outlet options deep in defensive 50. Go count how many times he's perfectly positioned on the fat side wing to prevent easy exits for the Eagles' excellent kicking game.

I hate saying this sort of stuff but it's particularly true here, anyone who doesn't rate Frog has a superficial understanding of the game. It's as simple as that.

It's not the 90s anymore. Wingers are arguably the most important structural player in the team in the modern game because both offensive and defensive transition is so important. I've said this before, but go read Mitch Robinson's piece on it from a couple of years ago.
Superficial? Rightio. Over 107 games, where he has usually played in the middle of the ground, he’s averaged 10 kicks, 9 handballs and 0.2 goals p/g. (Can’t see the stat for smothers but sure it’s impressive.) Brownlow votes: 3 - two of which came against an appalling Carlton team in 2019. No, sorry, he’s the very definition of a plodder. So my understanding of the game is that North’s going nowhere with him in our best 22.

Superficial? Rightio. Over 107 games, where he has usually played in the middle of the ground, he’s averaged 10 kicks, 9 handballs and 0.2 goals p/g. (Can’t see the stat for smothers but sure it’s impressive.) Brownlow votes: 3 - two of which came against an appalling Carlton team in 2019. No, sorry, he’s the very definition of a plodder. So my understanding of the game is that North’s going nowhere with him in our best 22.

Yep very superficial

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Second most meters covered at high speed on the weekend. Only Langdon was above him.

Questions superficial and then uses the very definition of superficial stats in their analysis. Big brain posting this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a good two way runner with neat skills and positions well in a team that goes ball hunting too much. He is needed in the team right now.

However, he is slow which makes him a liability early in games and is not a penetrating kick so he has a pretty low hurt factor.

Finding a two way runner with solid speed (preferably good) and penetration in his kicking would likely be an upgrade and replace him but until that point he stays.

Questions superficial and then uses the very definition of superficial stats in their analysis. Big brain posting this.

Mate I love ya, always respected your opinions but maybe you’re just not seeing the forest through the trees on this.

Is there any scenario in your World where the Mighty NMFC becomes the Danger rather than having a those whose skill set revolves around negating?

I personally don’t like his Mo, if he were to shave it off, I’d consider keeping him.

His game today was pathetic, his spot must go to another kid.We will not go anywhere with him. Hope we can get him to an SA club albeit don’t think there will be any taker. Bog average
That’s why we must keep playing him for the rest of the year . When the SA teams coming fishing at least we can say / show he’s a regular 1sts player .
I think we can get a 2nd rounder for him 👍

His skills were very poor today.

Worked hard as usual and put his body on the line
The 15-20m kicks let him down today. Had at least 2 or 3 that didn't get to the target and he was visibly pissed off with the one on the wing. We were off to the races if he makes that kick.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw an article on Fox Footy where they indicated he wants more midfield time moving forward. Can’t see him getting that at North, maybe that is why he hadn’t signed?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Think that is why we will lose him, unfortunately. He gives us options to move out of the backline more often than not. Would love to keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back