Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw an article on Fox Footy where they indicated he wants more midfield time moving forward. Can’t see him getting that at North, maybe that is why he hadn’t signed?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s got the best seat in the house to see what’s coming through. There’s no way in God’s green earth he’s getting midfield minutes here.

Bailey Scott will replace him in the same role.

If he leaves, I’ll be disappointed but I am aware of his work inadequacies. He was always there laying the tackle, or Nader the pack to keep the ball in at crucial times. He was also the one that fed it out to Higgins and co last year to finish off the goal.....not always covered in glory but let’s others take their game to another level by doing the yard stuff..... almost an anti- Polec

Does he really think he has it in him for more midfield time?

I think that if he stuck around until Cunnington moved to being a full time forward (2-3 years time), Dumont could make a really effective big-bodied extractor to anchor the young guns.

Rightfully for Dumont, a loyal servant of the club, it would be unfair to ask him to do such a thing.

I think that if he stuck around until Cunnington moved to being a full time forward (2-3 years time), Dumont could make a really effective big-bodied extractor to anchor the young guns.

Rightfully for Dumont, a loyal servant of the club, it would be unfair to ask him to do such a thing.

The young guns will be able fend for themselves by then.

The guy was terrible inside last year. No way. He only plays one way

As much as I like the frog & how much he brings from a running perspective, I think it’s unlikely he’s at the club next year.

Point 1 - He wants more midfield minutes, which he isn’t getting at North. FWIW this is a good thing, our midfield is on a seriously good trajectory.

Point 2 - We will only offer him a 2 year deal (just like Jed), whilst he will get a longer offer elsewhere.

If he’s to stay, he will have to accept a smaller offer & be happy to not play midfield. As I said, unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be pretty careful about just accepting this wanting more midfield thing as an unchallenged fact and then letting it inform your opinion of him.

I reckon we'll offer him a spot on a basic wage but whether he stays will be dependant on other clubs offering him a better deal which a think is highly unlikely. I won't mind him hanging around for a bit even if he plays some time with the kids at VFL level on and off.

I reckon we'll offer him a spot on a basic wage but whether he stays will be dependant on other clubs offering him a better deal which a think is highly unlikely. I won't mind him hanging around for a bit even if he plays some time with the kids at VFL level on and off.
I can see Adelaide offering him 3 yrs on half decent coin to replace Lynch as their link-up man.

I'd be pretty careful about just accepting this wanting more midfield thing as an unchallenged fact and then letting it inform your opinion of him.

Chinese whispers, might be right, might be wrong.

What we have seen though is Noble is prioritising the young mids (LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips/Powell) around Cunnington rather then Anderson & Dumont in terms of CBAs.

We’ve also seen that Luff refused to budge on 2 years for Anderson, which I think we can safely assume will be the same with Frog.

It’s an interesting watch.

Dont rate him or his speed or spread. His also unfit and the game will go past him if it hasnt already. Guys like him are a prime example on why or culture and standards were so poor for so long - put atley in this basket as well.

Noble is exacltly what this club has lacked for 20 years - higher expectations and standards/leadership

Dumont being unfit is just pure nonsense unless you're specifically referring to him being underdone after a 6 month calf injury.

Year on year he has improved aspects of his game, and body, and became one of the better runners we have. He's busted his arse for several years doing a lot of thankless running to cover for various team mates who either lack the ability or inclination to do it themselves.

Some pretty ordinary bitching about a good player who stood tall during our bleakest period in the last 30 years.

Yes he might leave, yes he isn't a star player, yes we have some flash new toys but that doesn't necessitate the slandering. Hoping he finishes the year off strong.

Dumont being unfit is just pure nonsense unless you're specifically referring to him being underdone after a 6 month calf injury.

Year on year he has improved aspects of his game, and body, and became one of the better runners we have. He's busted his arse for several years doing a lot of thankless running to cover for various team mates who either lack the ability or inclination to do it themselves.
that kind of resposne is exactly why we have been average for 20 years - tell me anyone on geelongs list that has his profile and body composition? he doesnt not present as an elite AFL player. Plain and simple and the reality is its not his fault to an extent - its the leadership on all levels before this new coaching group

that kind of resposne is exactly why we have been average for 20 years - tell me anyone on geelongs list that has his profile and body composition? he doesnt not present as an elite AFL player. Plain and simple and the reality is its not his fault to an extent - its the leadership on all levels before this new coaching group

Spoiler alert but I'm not slogging through some other team's list looking for a body double, something which would prove sweet * all either way. Find me the AFL player with the same physique as Ben Cunnington, and then have them fight over a ground ball and see who wins...

However I will tell you that the AFL track the top 5 in various running stats for each game. In the last month Trent was 4th for distance covered at top speed against the blues, 1st against Essendon, 2nd against West Coast, and 1st against the bulldogs. Those stats aren't just measuring us btw, but both teams. He placed twice for total sprint efforts in that period too, fwiw.

He also regularly places highly in the B&F, and I suspect that if anyone was going to realise he was rocking up week after week unfit it would be the coaches.

You want to pot him for something like his top end speed? Sure, go ahead. He's pretty mid paced. But calling him unfit, something that reflects more on his professionalism than his physical capabilities, is just untrue.

Last edited:
Dont rate him or his speed or spread. His also unfit and the game will go past him if it hasnt already. Guys like him are a prime example on why or culture and standards were so poor for so long - put atley in this basket as well.

Noble is exacltly what this club has lacked for 20 years - higher expectations and standards/leadership
You need to spend some time looking at the AFL tracker. Consistently in the top players for distance covered at high speed and sprint efforts. His fitness and speed on the spread are his biggest assets.

He has always set a very high standard on the track and it’s why he’s polled so well in the Syd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back