Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus Christ, he hardly deserves any criticism based on his output in 2019.... He is one of only a handful (Atley, Cunners ect) that has shown up on a consistent basis this season. Yes, his skills were down yesterday but at present we have no one who is even close to matching his work rate. He is averaging over 15km per game, and is often covering it at high speed (3.3km @ high speed in yesterdays game)

Across the season he is averaging 26.3 disposals @71% efficiency. 61% of those disposals have been in the defensive half meaning he is getting back and helping out the defense. Not only is he finding the footy, but he is averaging 21 pressure acts per game and 3 tackles per game.
How does his "high speed" compare to say your Petrucelle's, or even your Rohan's etc ?

Least of our problems, and with Hall out is playing in a position that is better for him. His disposal yesterday was pretty shite at times though. My one knock on him is that consistency. He displays it in almost every other facet, but sometimes his skills (which can be utterly elite when kicking into the F50) can be exceptionally hit or miss.

One of my favourite players, and a bloke who has obviously applied himself immensely off the field to improve himself.

How does his "high speed" compare to say your Petrucelle's, or even your Rohan's etc ?

It’s not a representation of his top end speed but a reflection of his ability to get his on bike and spread harder (both offensively and defensively) than anyone on our list at the moment.

Tonight he had one of those games where if he was involved in a 50/50, we were in trouble.

Any one-on-one or two-on-two involving Dumont seemed to go:

50% Sydney
40% Stoppage
10% North

And some of those kicks inside 50 were for the tip.

I'm one of Dumont's fans, by the way. He is, when going well, a natural footballer.

But tonight he lowered his colours for mine.

Outplayed by Clarke (even if they had different roles).

Tonight he had one of those games where if he was involved in a 50/50, we were in trouble.

Any one-on-one or two-on-two involving Dumont seemed to go:

50% Sydney
40% Stoppage
10% North

And some of those kicks inside 50 were for the tip.

I'm one of Dumont's fans, by the way. He is, when going well, a natural footballer.

But tonight he lowered his colours for mine.

Outplayed by Clarke (even if they had different roles).
clarke was tagging higgins so how did he outplay dumont

Trent's disposal was rubbish again. 68% & 7 clangers. A very poor result for a winger.

1558216052657.png

He just biding time if he can't clean it up, or until we get a coach that uses him better. I can't see him keeping Bailey out when he gets his fitness right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably the best description I've seen of him.
This year it's feeling a bit more this way, but then again the same could be said of just about every player; they're all down on form.

But even when he's at his best, his work is more subtle than most and, like most North players (think Kieran's goal against Richmond) they don't get talked up in commentary. Usually his I50s are precise and, unlike many teammates, he lowers the eyes. He's often laying a tackle or shepherd or getting a short handball out etc and structurally, providing an outlet etc. All those things are, like Higgins' kicking, a bit off this year.

LOL thought people would have learnt from last time.

I don't think he's quite hit the heights of the end of last year, particularly with his disposal, but he's still contributing massively IMO, and a very weird target for criticism. Comfortably top 5 in the BnF atm for me.

Contributed to his team's success more than Dumont did. Comfortably, too.
yep disposal efficiency 50% with 18 disposals comfortably better. at the ground the obvious problem was the collective for the first 3 qtrs not 1 individual ie 3 to 1 regularly at the ball. a pity the last qtr urgency was not there across the board for the whole game. a contested mark up forward might help north also got hands on a few but did nor take rhem

This year it's feeling a bit more this way, but then again the same could be said of just about every player; they're all down on form.

But even when he's at his best, his work is more subtle than most and, like most North players (think Kieran's goal against Richmond) they don't get talked up in commentary. Usually his I50s are precise and, unlike many teammates, he lowers the eyes. He's often laying a tackle or shepherd or getting a short handball out etc and structurally, providing an outlet etc. All those things are, like Higgins' kicking, a bit off this year.

Yeah. I agree with most of that. He's not a match winner but he's definitely a better version of Ryan Clarke, he is a workhorse, stalwart type of player and there's nothing wrong with that. Teams need good players like that, I think for depth as much as anything, and he's one. To me he's the sort of player who, if we were genuinely contending, would be lucky to get a game or unlucky to miss out come GF day.

Some of our players can be fumbly and poor with their disposal, he's also one of them.

Its players like him, cogs in a well oiled machine, that are invisible because that's the nature of their position in the game. The better ones will end up becoming elite, but still not necessarily well noticed. Dunno if Frog will. To me that is usually determined by their vision and footy IQ and I dunno with him. Sometimes they seem very high quality, other times not so much.

Can’t believe this bloke gets criticised.

Played an excellent role on the weekend, completely nullified Toby McLean and had 24 disposals himself.

Disposal was still a little bit iffy, but improved on the last 2 weeks.

He is the ultimate team player. I’d much rather him in the leadership group than McMillan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back