Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

While DE% has some well-documented flaws as a stat, with all this talk about Froggy's disposal it's interesting to note that his DE% for this season is currently tracking marginally ahead of his career average. He's actually pretty consistent on that front (always around the late 60's), and this season he is at exactly the same mark as his DE% average for last year - a season where his efforts were lauded and that saw him finish equal 5th in the Syd.

Which leads me to conclude that maybe the quality of his disposal has been slightly over-exaggerated in the past, OR for whatever reason (possibly a bit of confirmation bias at play driven by a few of the forum's more vocal or repetitious posters) the errors that he's making are currently being a tad over-stated. I'd say a little from column A and a decent chunk from column B.

Personally, I find the knocks on him a little baffling. He can be a little fumbly at times, and duffs the odd kick. He certainly isn't Robinson ****ing Crusoe on the latter note. (Or the former note either for that matter.) Admittedly, I have a bias towards Mids who bust a gut to two-way run and fill holes/space in defensive 50, so I'm a fan of his work on that level. Go back and track him in any replay this year and you'll see a guy who does it in spades. I see him as an important, albeit largely unheralded (around here anyway) part of the Midfield make-up. Would be very surprised if he was currently under any kind of threat of a stint in the 2's.

While DE% has some well-documented flaws as a stat, with all this talk about Froggy's disposal it's interesting to note that his DE% for this season is currently tracking marginally ahead of his career average. He's actually pretty consistent on that front (always around the late 60's), and this season he is at exactly the same mark as his DE% average for last year - a season where his efforts were lauded and that saw him finish equal 5th in the Syd.

Which leads me to conclude that maybe the quality of his disposal has been slightly over-exaggerated in the past, OR for whatever reason (possibly a bit of confirmation bias at play driven by a few of the forum's more vocal or repetitious posters) the errors that he's making are currently being a tad over-stated. I'd say a little from column A and a decent chunk from column B.

Personally, I find the knocks on him a little baffling. He can be a little fumbly at times, and duffs the odd kick. He certainly isn't Robinson ****ing Crusoe on the latter note. (Or the former note either for that matter.) Admittedly, I have a bias towards Mids who bust a gut to two-way run and fill holes/space in defensive 50, so I'm a fan of his work on that level. Go back and track him in any replay this year and you'll see a guy who does it in spades. I see him as an important, albeit largely unheralded (around here anyway) part of the Midfield make-up. Would be very surprised if he was currently under any kind of threat of a stint in the 2's.
Exactly mate. I think he's making 1-2 horrible clangers a game this year that are undermining what is generally thoughtful and tidy disposal. And, as you say, confirmation bias is at work to back early assessments as to his capacity. His two way work, and his positioning still good quality.

I was thinking that one way to put this to bed would be to go "full TOD" on it, with a play-by-play breakdown, which I don't have time to do. But why try and imitate the original? Anytime you're ready, and it's a bye round. I know you want to.

Exactly mate. I think he's making 1-2 horrible clangers a game this year that are undermining what is generally thoughtful and tidy disposal. And, as you say, confirmation bias is at work to back early assessments as to his capacity. His two way work, and his positioning still good quality.

I was thinking that one way to put this to bed would be to go "full TOD" on it, with a play-by-play breakdown, which I don't have time to do. But why try and imitate the original? Anytime you're ready, and it's a bye round. I know you want to.

giphy.gif

Trent's slightly down showing vs McGWS should be tempered by the knock-on effect of Higgins not playing and Cunnington being (literally) held. Against a franchise midfield Trent would've been working overtime on his two-way running (TM TOD) and thus would've been more fatigued for each disposal.

Hence his disposal and skill was absolutely sub-par for his own standards but if we're affording a skill concession to guys like Turner for the amount of defensive running they have to do to cover for mobility-challenged comrades then let's give Trent the same allowance.

Trent's slightly down showing vs McGWS should be tempered by the knock-on effect of Higgins not playing and Cunnington being (literally) held. Against a franchise midfield Trent would've been working overtime on his two-way running (TM TOD) and thus would've been more fatigued for each disposal.

Hence his disposal and skill was absolutely sub-par for his own standards but if we're affording a skill concession to guys like Turner for the amount of defensive running they have to do to cover for mobility-challenged comrades then let's give Trent the same allowance.

People can go through all the what for's & why not's, but he will have to find another gear to stay the course.

We're not going to be a premiership side with Trent's current output on a wing.

We won’t be a premiership side with Mcdonald and McMillan as our half backs either.
Not putting a line through either of those boys. McDonald has been solid enough without being outstanding under Shaw, and JMac hasn't had a proper dip either. JMac would definitely benefit from being free to kick the ball long to talls

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a mystery.

Really missing Jmac as the scapegoat I guess.

Some rather harsh calls in here - if one of the young guns was getting the same amount of ball they’d all be creaming themselves.

And this crap about not getting into a premiership team - there’s been many duds end up winning flags.

Really missing Jmac as the scapegoat I guess.

Some rather harsh calls in here - if one of the young guns was getting the same amount of ball they’d all be creaming themselves.

And this crap about not getting into a premiership team - there’s been many duds end up winning flags.

I'll take Shane Clayton at this point in time thanks.

The eagle eyed critiques regarding certain players, accompanied by blindness to the outright "vanillaism" of this bloke is a curious phenomena.

McDonald stuffs up two kicks and it's worthy of a critique fitting epic proportions, yet I have never seen him choke running under a high ball, or going back with the flight.

Not putting a line through either of those boys. McDonald has been solid enough without being outstanding under Shaw, and JMac hasn't had a proper dip either. JMac would definitely benefit from being free to kick the ball long to talls

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only talls that JMac kicked to consistently in recent weeks were Aliir and Melican.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As stated earlier, I'm happy to see how JMac goes under a new coach. If you aren't, no worries.

Well...............that on top of factoring the irrational criticisms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back