Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Left-field selection:
Trent Dumont
is rated highly internally for his leadership and might even be a contender to be Ziebell's successor, depending on what happens in the next couple of seasons. - Marc McGowan

Unbelievable. According to the good judges on here is borderline best 22. :rolleyes:

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Left-field selection:
Trent Dumont
is rated highly internally for his leadership and might even be a contender to be Ziebell's successor, depending on what happens in the next couple of seasons. - Marc McGowan
Yeah, I couldn’t believe it when i scrolled down to see the ’Left-field selection’ for us.

If we're talking captaincy material, Bailey Scott's name should be one of the first picked.

Too smart for Captain. He'll probably go on to be the first playing CEO and Chairman (and Architect of the ever expanding Arden Precinct).

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
It actually inadvertently raises a good point though. Jack's still got a few years left, but I don't think there's an obvious candidate from the next group coming through, unlike Ziebell who was the obvious choice to captain North Melbourne since he was at least 13.

I'm not sure about Brown in that role myself, and we seem to have a dearth of players, let along leaders in that sort of 23-26 bracket. I would have thought McDonald was nailed on to captain the club, and so did a lot of people, but he doesn't seem the standout candidate he once looked like being.

All that considered, Dumont might not be such a bad choice, especially considering the reports for a number of years now about the standards he sets on the track. You only need to look at how hard he worked to get himself to his current fitness level. He's also an excellent footballer whose spot in the team is not only safe, but is an automatic selection, for a long time to come. I could see him captaining the club.

Barring any serious career mishaps, I could also see Jy Simpkin as a future captain too. He seems to be a good leader amongst the young guys, and he has that sort of hard-nosed mentality too imo.

I rate Dumont ( not captain material ) but this Marc McGowan is a joke.

Work rate alone should see him in the leadership group I reckon. Dunno about the captaincy tho. He just doesn't seem to have the Charisma. (With a capital C!!!)

Then again Trent Cotchin is a premiership captain and he's about as charismatic ... well you know that guy, i think he works down the road. He might have brown hair but I can't remember right now.

Last edited:
Work rate alone should see him in the leadership group I reckon. Dunno about the captaincy tho. He just doesn't seem to have the Charisma. (With a capital C!!!)

Then again Trent Dumont is a premiership captain and he's about as charismatic ... well you know that guy, i think he works down the road. He might have brown hair but I can't remember right now.

This post confuses me.

Underrated player. Reading the Mitch Robinson article shows how valuable this guy is for us.

Port posters suggesting that he is not worth as much as Dougal Howard is laughable.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Underrated player. Reading the Mitch Robinson article shows how valuable this guy is for us.

Port posters suggesting that he is not worth as much as Dougal Howard is laughable.

His defensive running and accountability means he is a mainstay in this side. He is constantly covering Cunners/Ziebell’s arse when the footy is in transition.

Still criminally underrated.

His defensive running and accountability means he is a mainstay in this side. He is constantly covering Cunners/Ziebell’s arse when the footy is in transition.

Still criminally underrated.
It really irks me about how underrated he and, to a lesser extent, Polec actually are. It was the same with Robinson this year as well at the Lions.

I got told by Dog and Port posters that Dumont and a future second for Dougal Howard wasn't enough, astonishing.

Don't see it mate.

Doesn't have the kicking skills.

In fact, he doesn't have any mercurial traits.
Played a bit of junior footy there. 2 years ago, I would disagree more strongly about having no mercurial traits, but his kicking skills dropped off this year. I really hope it’s a one off, as he was a neat inside fifty kick prior to 2019. The 2018 game against the crows was the best I’ve ever seen from him, collected a stack of it, was influential and dragged us back into the game after a poor start.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Played a bit of junior footy there. 2 years ago, I would disagree more strongly about having no mercurial traits, but his kicking skills dropped off this year. I really hope it’s a one off, as he was a neat inside fifty kick prior to 2019. The 2018 game against the crows was the best I’ve ever seen from him, collected a stack of it, was influential and dragged us back into the game after a poor start.

Look, I admire the blokes work ethic & commitment, but he's no line breaker, nor does he possess anything other than "adequate" vision & foot skills, and I still think his spot on the wing is far from secure. If someone like Gaff lobbed up at Arden Street, then Trent would be making way.

If I had to identify another role for him, then tagger or lock down Back Pocket would be my guess.

Back