Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me preface with I'm not a Dumont hater. However, I find it difficult to understand how he was thought to have a better season than Brown, Ziebel, Pittard or Thompson and probably not Higgins either.

Let me preface with I'm not a Dumont hater. However, I find it difficult to understand how he was thought to have a better season than Brown, Ziebel, Pittard or Thompson and probably not Higgins either.
Because he fulfilled his prescribed role within the team more effectively, more regularly than those you mentioned. Its no great mystery. The B&F is more about that than who had the most impact on the game, so to speak, so to the casual observer others may look to have been better but Dumont did his prescribed job better in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Because he fulfilled his prescribed role within the team more effectively, more regularly than those you mentioned.

I am going to have to analyse this more closely.

Because he fulfilled his prescribed role within the team more effectively, more regularly than those you mentioned. Its no great mystery. The B&F is more about that than who had the most impact on the game, so to speak, so to the casual observer others may look to have been better but Dumont did his prescribed job better in the eyes of the coaching staff.
That has to be the explanation - however the problem I have with it though is that TD polled only in 2 games in the coaches award for a grand total of 8 points.

If he was doing such an effective role/job then you would think at least our coach would give him votes?

(Again the usual caveat - I have been a supporter of TD from the start as he does lower the eyes and use the ball better than a lot of others.)

That has to be the explanation - however the problem I have with it though is that TD polled only in 2 games in the coaches award for a grand total of 8 points.

If he was doing such an effective role/job then you would think at least our coach would give him votes?

(Again the usual caveat - I have been a supporter of TD from the start as he does lower the eyes and use the ball better than a lot of others.)
The coaches votes are for the top 5 players on the ground only, whereas most if not all players get votes in the Syd. Dumont was top 3 in games in the Syd only twice but was consistent enough to finish tied for third.

I am going to have to analyse this more closely.
Its certainty instructive in providing insight into what coaches require from the lesser lights, role players etc.

Its certainty instructive in providing insight into what coaches require from the lesser lights, role players etc.

Well, if he's the 3rd best player in the 12th placed team then a few other blokes had better pull their fingers out of their arse, because we won't be a threat while that continues.

Well, if he's the 3rd best player in the 12th placed team then a few other blokes had better pull their fingers out of their arse, because we won't be a threat while that continues.

giphy.gif

Yes, he's not the droid you're looking for.

I like him, he's a natural footballer, not many of them left at the top level in an age of athletes getting selected for rep sides from U14 upwards.

With that said, thought his output this year was sub-par. Surprised by his SB result.

Serious question, who does the voting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3rd place in our bnf is a great effort.

Well done Trent.

I don't even see you as best 22 but what would I know.

A guy works hard defensively = top 3 in the b&f.

Tells us a bit about what the rest of the team aren't doing.
We bemoan the lack of a midfield that works hard both ways, then get surprised when the one who does this better than most polls well in an award judged by those who know his role and strengths best.

Last edited:
We bemoan the lack of a midfield that works hard both ways, then get surprised when the one who does this better than most polls well in an award judged by those who know best, what his role and strengths are.
This is a great post. Trent is a good footballer. Not extraordinary in any particular area, just a bloody hard worker that puts in for stuff that goes unrewarded. We need him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We bemoan the lack of a midfield that works hard both ways, then get surprised when the one who does this better than most polls well in an award judged by those who know best, what his role and strengths are.
The next career progression move for TD then needs to be spending alot more time in the centre square.

This was his strength in juniors and because the coaching group see him as a hard running mid that can win and use the ball then the obvious move is to get him the guts - this is especially the case given how poorly we have been performing in that area.

The next career progression move for TD then needs to be spending alot more time in the centre square.

This was his strength in juniors and because the coaching group see him as a hard running mid that can win and use the ball then the obvious move is to get him the guts - this is especially the case given how poorly we have been performing in that area.
I think just leave him were he is doing a great job at the moment why change that. Only my thoughts on the matter.

Small defender only, and only on an opponent who is no good in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back