Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
True, although fair to say that if Cunnington and JZ could increase there running similar to Dumont has over the last 3 years that might not necessarily make his spot any more secure...

The both of them have tried to increase their capacity but have failed.

While Froggy does a mountain of defensive work and transition running he will continue to be in the first handful picked.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
But Port's season was on the line yah turkey.

I know you love your stats so, Of fhe 5 games he had less than 20 possessions for the year (good effort btw) how many of them occurred when our season was on the line?

Gobble Gobble Gobble.

We need to move on from hard luck stories, is there a team in the comp that loves a hard luck story more than us?

Is there any sport in the world that has slow wingers? Nope. You put your fast, explosive dynamic players out there as they are the magic men. Not the role players, not the good blokes, not the team first ethos providers.

The danger... The ones you need to stop in order to win.

Inside stodge mixed with outside stodge = middling finishes going nowhere.

I just hope we draft Ash so this will be moot and Dumont can find a role, forward or back that suits him and suits the team.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We getting cut up through the middle, not the wings, due to an unbalanced and unaccountable midfield. Trent is the best of the lot defensively so its defibitely not him if thats what you're implying.

We get cut up by both. He may be the best of the lot working both ways but to be honest that doesn't mean much in our team.

The both of them have tried to increase their capacity but have failed.

That's pretty clear from your first post and not being debated.

While Froggy does a mountain of defensive work and transition running he will continue to be in the first handful picked.

Not necessarily. While he does this work (and other's can't) he will continue to be picked. After that it gets interesting for him and us. As snake has pointed out on other occasions, if we had Gaff running around this year he'd be on the outer or looking for another position in the team.

I'm not claiming he is on the fringe, I'm just claiming our need for him will vary depending on how we deal with our mix in the middle of the ground. He fulfills a massive need at the moment, the list / setups change and that may not be as much of a priority to the team.

I still haven't changed my view that he's one of the most vulnerable blokes in the team, and I don't give two stuff's about any "role playing" crap the footy dept might acknowledge.

He doesn't have line breaking pace or great foot disposal. Two things that Bailey Scott & Jared Polec have in spades.

Yet you rate Turner.

tenor.gif

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What are you talking about?? He's never played as a small defender in his career,

Never stated he did.

is completely unsuited to that role,

You wouldn't know.

and just finished equal 3rd in our BnF as a midfielder.

No kidding?

The fact that Mr Symbiosis doesn't understand his role and its effect on Polec/Bailey's ability to play more eye catching roles doesn't mean it isn't valued by the club.

I know you love your stats so, Of fhe 5 games he had less than 20 possessions for the year (good effort btw) how many of them occurred when our season was on the line?

Gobble Gobble Gobble.

We need to move on from hard luck stories, is there a team in the comp that loves a hard luck story more than us?

Is there any sport in the world that has slow wingers? Nope. You put your fast, explosive dynamic players out there as they are the magic men. Not the role players, not the good blokes, not the team first ethos providers.

The danger... The ones you need to stop in order to win.

Inside stodge mixed with outside stodge = middling finishes going nowhere.

I just hope we draft Ash so this will be moot and Dumont can find a role, forward or back that suits him and suits the team.
How nice that you think counting disposals is "stats".

And that drafting a half back has any bearing on a mid who rolls forward.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
How nice that you think counting disposals is "stats".

And that drafting a half back has any bearing on a mid who rolls forward.

I'm drafting Ash to play the Whitfield or David King role.

That is the player we lack.

Rolls forward? We would really miss those 3 goals he kicked rolling forward.

Sorry not all of us have the patience to spend our lives in a spreadsheet. The only metric I need is the eye test and as a wingman, he is neither dynamic enough or dangerous enough irrespective of what your spreadsheet says.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Be surprised if he is best 22 by the end of the year so not sure Captain is on the cards.
He came equal third in the b&f this year so our list must be going to have a great leap forward next year if he is going to be outside the best 22 by the end of next season. It is good to see players taking this type of opportunity to learn and develop as people

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He came equal third in the b&f this year so our list must be going to have a great leap forward next year if he is going to be outside the best 22 by the end of next season. It is good to see players taking this type of opportunity to learn and develop as people

B&F results in a middle of the road team with little ability to make the finals shouldn't be used as a pointer to future performance unless you expect us to be the same. If we are to be a better team, a final team, you can't do that with the same team unless there is some big upgrades in performances and I don't see that the 22 from last year has that much improvement. It needs to come from new blood and I think Dumont is just one of a group that might see their limitations cost them a spot.

On-field stuff aside, his off-field transition from the taxi incident (which was massively overhyped for various reasons) to his current off-field work (not just now, but other charity stuff as well) is quite endearing. Speaks volume about his character.

Back