Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Will never be particularly damaging or dynamic but in a team full of inconsistency, he is at least reliable for the most part. I think Scott has more upside as a wingman so not against bringing Froggy into the centre square mix.

Is there a more innocuous player in North’s history than this guy?

You often forget he’s on the field until he bobs up from time to time.

We are often told he plays the mysterious ‘defensive’ wing role on the oppositions best runner, but very rarely have I ever seen him clamping down on anyone.

He still manages to get a decent amount of the ball, But most of the time it’s in chain of play etc. He’s got low meters gained stats and most of the other key midfield statistics, doesn’t offer a whole lot of run in reality, isn’t quick, but is playing an important position for modern footy, in which speed and run and carry is vital.

He’s not a major problem statistically but I can’t put my finger on him.

He’s the definition of ‘honest’.

We are often told he plays the mysterious ‘defensive’ wing role on the oppositions best runner, but very rarely have I ever seen him clamping down on anyone.

He still manages to get a decent amount of the ball, But most of the time it’s in chain of play etc. He’s got low meters gained stats and most of the other key midfield statistics, doesn’t offer a whole lot of run in reality, isn’t quick, but is playing an important position for modern footy, in which speed and run and carry is vital.

He’s the definition of the 23rd best player in a premiership year.

Wasn't he rated by CD as one of the best wingers in the comp?

A real by the numbers player

Wasn't he rated by CD as one of the best wingers in the comp?

A real by the numbers player

Yes, but so to was Aaron Hall.

Dumont (AKA Milla Vanilla) sums up the NMFC midfield to an absolute tee:
No frills, tries hard, average height, average speed, average skill, average endurance, average awareness, predictable, doesn’t hit the scoreboard, non-creative, no run and carry, struggles to run defensively, poor overhead.......,

Does anyone here think he has much upside from here? I think this is as good as he gets unfortunately.

I honestly can’t see how Milla Vanilla will be part of a premiership contending midfield.
I’d seriously consider shopping him around at seasons end. A fit LDU could play his role and then some.

Can't believe what I'm reading.

Dumont's workload is second to none. Reliable user, links up and gut runs to provide an option and consistently covers space that his teammates leave behind.

You wanna chuck LDU into his spot when he doesn't even have the match fitness to run both ways consistently? Tonight, he was out there for 91 minutes out of the possible 102. Can LDU do that?

I'm sorry but there are far worse problems about the list than Dumont.

He has the tank to run all day. But yes, let's get rid of him and make ourselves more exposed as a result. Especially when the cattle is bare, guys like Dumont steady the ship before it goes catastrophically wrong.

Has to be shopped around.

offers nothing with ball in hand, loopy nothing kicks down the line.

Hopefully some club is stupid enough to give us a second rounder.

Can't believe what I'm reading.

Dumont's workload is second to none. Reliable user, links up and gut runs to provide an option and consistently covers space that his teammates leave behind.

You wanna chuck LDU into his spot when he doesn't even have the match fitness to run both ways consistently? Tonight, he was out there for 91 minutes out of the possible 102. Can LDU do that?

I'm sorry but there are far worse problems about the list than Dumont.

He has the tank to run all day. But yes, let's get rid of him and make ourselves more exposed as a result. Especially when the cattle is bare, guys like Dumont steady the ship before it goes catastrophically wrong.

This in spades. Thanks amaz, for standing up for him. There's plenty of things bringing our performance down at the moment, but Froggy sure as hell ain't one of them. On the contrary, he's one of our most reliable pillars right now. Which has been his consistent form for some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good pick up , he’s not want we need. Is a plodder and one of about ten who if they were20-22nd players picked you could live with that .

Should be playing as an inside mid who can run his oponents into the ground. Maybe worth considering given our issues with defensive aspects of clearances. I like him. I wish they build him back up through the legs and trunk like when we first drafted him. I reckon he could be a tough hombre one on one.

Continuing the tone of the last few posts, I also feel that Froggy is competent but not damaging enough to be a winger.

If I was doing selction, Bailey Scott would be on the wing opposite Polec for an extended run. Froggy and LMac would rotate as defensive mids who rest up forward and on the bench.

We’re an inconsistent, poorly skilled team who don’t run defensively. What exactly are people doing laying into our most consistent player who also happens to run hard defensively and use the ball neatly?

He’d be in the first few picked every week and rightly so, if other blokes showed his commitment to getting the best out of himself every week we’d be a very different side.

Will never be particularly damaging or dynamic but in a team full of inconsistency, he is at least reliable for the most part. I think Scott has more upside as a wingman so not against bringing Froggy into the centre square mix.

That's precisely the problem, he is reliable hence is predicatable............in a team that consists predominantly of players who are at best reliable workhorses. He is part of the problem and not solution, but since he is still turning 25, we can trade him out for a 2nd round pick. But then again, Dumont is a product of our system. Our system require players to conform to the 'solid, reliable, hard-at-it' even for players who are not suited to that. Experts say our midfield is one paced, well our club is also one paced in that our environment only allows one type of player to flourish. If you want some examples, you can look no further than players like Daneil Well, he should be an out and out superstar yet because he played for us, he is only an above average mid. Players like Atley should absolutely be a Dangerfield type player if he played for Hawthorn but alas, he is put some mediocre defender who could run fast.

But the light of salvation always shine the brightest during the darkest moments. We do have a crop of excellecent youngsters like Larkey, Simpkin, Xerri, Thomas, LDU, Bailey, Bonar, Taylor, Hayden plus 2 top 10 drafts we will get this year. The names you see listed will form a premierhsip team and we haven't had such a crop of youngsters for 30 years. North Melbourne, don't * this up, let's form a high impact, high performance team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back