Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just because someone is playing well and a good player, doesn’t mean we can not discuss trading him.

IMO, He has reached his ceiling and doesn’t make us a better team. Let’s not make the same mistake we made with Swallow and every other half decent mid to play for us in the last 15 years.

He is a meddling ordinary footballer taking us nowhere, if we shop him at the peak of his powers, we might be able to use that currency on a fast wingman or a damaging midfielder or Half back flanker.

The days of Ziebell, Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont in our midfield must end, AFAIC, we should only have two on the ground at any one time.

Two way running is great but only if you can keep up and catch teams on the rebound, sadly Dumont two-way running is useless. As he does not impact offensively or defensively, he is just omni-present doing 2/5th’s of * all, all the time.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just because someone is playing well and a good player, doesn’t mean we can not discuss trading him.

IMO, He has reached his ceiling and doesn’t make us a better team. Let’s not make the same mistake we made with Swallow and every other half decent mid to play for us in the last 15 years.

He is a meddling ordinary footballer taking us nowhere, if we shop him at the peak of his powers, we might be able to use that currency on a fast wingman or a damaging midfielder or Half back flanker.

The days of Ziebell, Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont in our midfield must end, AFAIC, we should only have two on the ground at any one time.

Two way running is great but only if you can keep up and catch teams on the rebound, sadly Dumont two-way running is useless. As he does not impact offensively or defensively, he is just omni-present doing 2/5th’s of fu** all, all the time.
Such a classic genre of BF post. This guy is worth $6, let's trade him for $10.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s one of the few the can hold his head up. Played well.

His opponent Parish was in the top 3 on the ground. His lack of acceleration was noticeable in the centre square. His lack of strength in the contest and inability to get off his bandpasses with any velocity made his disposal average at best. He is ok in the centre but wouldn't be a first or second team player. He does actually seem to be more effective on a wing but again he just isn't damaging and he seems to do his best by running and getting into space.

But, at the moment he is at least consistent and until someone takes his spot, he ain't going anywhere.

His opponent Parish was in the top 3 on the ground. His lack of acceleration was noticeable in the centre square. His lack of strength in the contest and inability to get off his bandpasses with any velocity made his disposal average at best. He is ok in the centre but wouldn't be a first or second team player. He does actually seem to be more effective on a wing but again he just isn't damaging and he seems to do his best by running and getting into space.

But, at the moment he is at least consistent and until someone takes his spot, he ain't going anywhere.

Yep. He's a better wingman than centreman. Unfortunately not blessed with speed is expendable in our current setup (not the only one). Put the right mix around him and he'd be a decent weapon. He's not great as a centre clearance style player, his handballs don't have enough zip on them and he doesn't win the contest as much as you'd like in a player with that speed. Cunnington you make allowances for but he will never (IMO) have Cunnington's vision in close, marking ability or hands.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep. He's a better wingman than centreman. Unfortunately not blessed with speed is expendable in our current setup (not the only one). Put the right mix around him and he'd be a decent weapon. He's not great as a centre clearance style player, his handballs don't have enough zip on them and he doesn't win the contest as much as you'd like in a player with that speed. Cunnington you make allowances for but he will never (IMO) have Cunnington's vision in close, marking ability or hands.

His delivery inside 50 is often under rated. To be fair it's not always great, but I maintain that if he wasn't chasing as much ass as he usually does (because others won't/don't) then he'd be near elite in that aspect more often than not. I've got plenty of time for froggy, every team needs roleplayers (who are often dour with little to no elite attributes), and he's shown himself to be very resilient and consistent. In the perfect world where we were to upgrade/fix a bunch of other positions/players and go on to win a premiership I can easily imagine him being on the podium.

His delivery inside 50 is often under rated. To be fair it's not always great, but I maintain that if he wasn't chasing as much ass as he usually does (because others won't/don't) then he'd be near elite in that aspect more often than not. I've got plenty of time for froggy, every team needs roleplayers (who are often dour with little to no elite attributes), and he's shown himself to be very resilient and consistent. In the perfect world where we were to upgrade/fix a bunch of other positions/players and go on to win a premiership I can easily imagine him being on the podium.

100% agree on how you've rated him, I do as well. I just think it's unfortunate that his weaknesses are similar to many of our other players. Like with our HB line - Pittard, Jmac, Marley, Lmac (before a month ago) it's just too much dicy disposal and not enough real creativity and skill with the boot. You don't need to get rid of all of them but 1 is probably the max you want to carry in an ideal 22.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not part of the solution, in fact big part of the problem in that his seemingly consitency belies the real problem of a stale team. Jigsaw puzzle needs to be move around, on the board so far we've been hearing oh you cant cut him, you cant get of him because he is stewart or he is a captain or he is great clubman or he is a fantastic character. s**t has got to happen, trade this dude out for a 2nd rounder, get bailey in and draft someone speedy and because of the new addition, center square, half back and forward all have to change to accomodate automatically phasing out the likes of ziebell, cunnington, mcmillan as they are currently players who we rely on but cannot deliver. Of course the Jacobs, Garner, Tyson need to go as well, but these are irrelevant players so not as big a problem. If Daw doesn't show something by the end of this year, then he is out. Turner i would keep as he could be used along the wing. Cambell would be a decent single ruck if Goldy gone down injured. Xerri has been given games and i would feel he and Daw could be a good tandem as both are not complete ruck hence can complement. Anderson might, just might survive the stalinist purge by the skin of teeth if Ziebell, Cunnington and Dumont can all be given the boot as he is one of the rare inside player who is a bit quicker than the other 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's too slow. Too slow and lacking another weapon. If he could take a decent grab that would help a lot. If he could run like he does and had an extra yard of pace he'd be invaluable. If we had a team with a bunch of fast runners he'd also be invaluable. For mine he's one of a list of players that we need to make smart decisions on - not that he should go as the only option, but we can't have all of them on the list. His age is a massive asset and I have no doubt in a very good team he'd be a valuable role player. Rawlings has 2 years of serious nuts to the wall work to do and players are going to hate him.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People who don’t rate this guy are football illiterate. In fact, they’re certified moronic.
I think he is a good user of the football, and has pretty good awareness, but I think I fall into the category of being illiterate. As a winger, what do you like about his game that makes you rate him? Genuinely, I don't notice him in games all too often and would like to be more aware of it when watching Dumont play

MrBlueandWhite

Senior List
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's our one of our most reliable players and you know he is giving his full effort week in, week out. He may not have line breaking speed but he's always the link between our backs and forwards.

Maybe he's not a standout player when we win but he does his job, but when we were struggling he was one of the few who would stand up.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People who don’t rate this guy are football illiterate. In fact, they’re certified moronic.

Depends what you mean by rate. Is he best 22 at NM? Yes. Is he a consistent and top 10 performer? Yes. Would he get a game at most clubs? Doubt it. That isn’t to say he isn’t AFL standard, but like the Captain, there is t a lot of interest outside of the club for what he does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Depends what you mean by rate. Is he best 22 at NM? Yes. Is he a consistent and top 10 performer? Yes. Would he get a game at most clubs? Doubt it. That isn’t to say he isn’t AFL standard, but like the Captain, there is t a lot of interest outside of the club for what he does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He would play with most if not all sides. Every club has its foot soldiers. It is almost as if we aren't allowed solid citizens. You need to be a world beater or you are s**t. Trent is fine.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Trade him to Adelaide while he is still worth something.

If TT, Jy LDU, Bailey, plus our first 2 draft picks continue to develop, as we hope, then Dumont will get pushed out anyway.

And then he will be worth nothing.

So strike while the iron is hot. He has currency at the moment, so trade him now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back