Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No one rates him but a few blokes on this board. What would we get for him?

Would Adelaide take 2 + Dumont for 1 and 2021 R2?

This is the biggest load of sh*t I’ve ever heard. Ever.

He trained as a midfielder and is playing midfield, how else would you want him to prepare?

Anyway you cut it up, he’s the worst starting mid in the comp!
He is the worst starting mid in the comp but key to getting us Pick 1. Grow up.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah he suffers a bit, because he lacks weapons.

I reckon if his kicking went from being solid (sometimes great, sometimes average, sometimes ordinary) to total top shelf then he would have less detractors on here.

His technique is pretty good already, but if he could work on his reaction time, then he could see real improvement in his arsenal.

Like you absolutely nailed above, it's the reaction time that gets him into trouble and it's the one area where he has real scope for improvement.
It's hard to improve your reaction time.

If not impossible.

The best way is to focus on situational awareness and reading cues around you so you are better at anticipating what happens next.

I think the keywords in Passmore's post were "If we're good". If we're good he doesn't come third in our B&F. If we're good he is solid citizen that needs to play close to his best to keep his spot. I like Froggy. If our whole team played as consistently as close to their potential as he does we would be a lot better than we are.
We have players with weapons who hurt the opposition. But his importance is less obvious. If we are good enough that his workrate and professionalism are not noticeable we'll be the dominant side in the comp.

No one spreads harder to provide an option or cover in defence. That is what I reckon anyway. I haven't seen anyone with the commitment or immediate response to a situation as him. You see it all the time, the player working hardest from the last contest is Trent.

That is a different form "good" - hard working and dependable. Like the piston pump that has been giving me the shits for the last fortnight is sposed to be.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Our one consistent young leader who actually puts in every quarter, every game and has worked overtime to dramatically change his bodyshape (imagine all those empty stomachs watching his mates having summer BBQs when he's back in Adelaide, ouch) is the bloke we should be zeroing in on?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
We have players with weapons who hurt the opposition. But his importance is less obvious. If we are good enough that his workrate and professionalism are not noticeable we'll be the dominant side in the comp.

No one spreads harder to provide an option or cover in defence. That is what I reckon anyway. I haven't seen anyone with the commitment or immediate response to a situation as him. You see it all the time, the player working hardest from the last contest is Trent.

That is a different form "good" - hard working and dependable. Like the piston pump that has been giving me the shits for the last fortnight is sposed to be.

He's actually a decent forward and offensive player. Had a ripping SANFL GF pre-draft and goaled a bit in his early senior games.

The team hasn't required it of him since and he's always fatigued by the time he gets down there these days.

Totally agree. Perfect example Gary Cowton when l was growing up. Different players l know but when he wasn't there ( which was rare ) you really noticed it.
. I. Fairley
. C. Jones
Those blokes who play 150+ games and you do a double take when the club announces their milestone game coming up
You mean like Atley and JMac?

But hang on, the fact that she was brought shows the company is visionary by the industrial standard. In many places, even when the places started to fall apart, they won't reverse a decision because it would then signal the one in charge has f’ed up so the leadership would rather let the company fall then the minimize the damage. You can always get some graduate shmucks in for a fraction of the pay with the same job description and on performance contract.
When you aren't shitfaced you do make some very good posts.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he needs a big year in 2021. If we are adding elite young mids and keeping Polec, Dumont might struggle to be best 22. He obviously gives 100% and unlike most of our mids can run until the end. But his kicking is way too hit and miss. He’s got zero pace. And he does 2-3 really silly things each game.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he needs a big year in 2021. If we are adding elite young mids and keeping Polec, Dumont might struggle to be best 22. He obviously gives 100% and unlike most of our mids can run until the end. But his kicking is way too hit and miss. He’s got zero pace. And he does 2-3 really silly things each game.

For the reasons you have outlined, we should trade him.

Adelaide may want a big body midfielder to help their young midfield.

He has plenty of footy left in him.

If we trade him now, he might be worth a 2nd Rnd pick.

Keep him for two more years, when others have gone past him and he is playing reserves and he is worth nothing.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Needs a massive 2021 season. I think he has almost lost that ability to be inside mid. His body is more suited to gut running rather than contested situations.

He has become Sam Gibson essentially. Previously a ball magnet, but now he needs to fill the void on the wing instead.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Needs a massive 2021 season. I think he has almost lost that ability to be inside mid. His body is more suited to gut running rather than contested situations.

He has become Sam Gibson essentially. Previously a ball magnet, but now he needs to fill the void on the wing instead.

Walker and Scott are much more suited to the role I would have thought.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
That’s what he does. I doubt there’s a bloke on the list that bleeds more for the cause. Over the next couple of years, he’ll get pushed to the fringes or out.

His greatest asset is his endurance.

But without anything to pair it with, he is just an average contributor.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Battled away.
Who appreciates hard working battlers in AFL teams in this day and age. Its all about stars and goal kicking entertainers.
The telly commentators just love those bow and arrow or motorbike revving trademark gesture wielding ponces. Workhorses and roleplayers, not so loved.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He reacts to slowly to be a centre square mid. It’s wing where his endurance is a feature or not at all.

I would orchestrate him winning our bnf and bombard SA news mediums with this information.

Crows won’t give us a Future First, but Dumont + 2021 R3 + R4 for pick 19 + 2021 R2 would be fair value for a 23 year old bnf winning mid looking to return home.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would orchestrate him winning our bnf and bombard SA news mediums with this information.

Crows won’t give us a Future First, but Dumont + 2021 R3 + R4 for pick 19 + 2021 R2 would be fair value for a 23 year old bnf winning mid looking to return home.

Is he looking to return home or are you trying to send him home?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back