Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

I could be wrong but I think Trent is physically spent after flogging himself to a virtual standstill this season. The absence of both Cunnington and Ziebell placed a huge onus on him, especially, given Higgins was withdrawn from the engine room completely. In reality, Jed and Trent shouldered the grunt work in the middle on their own for practically the entire season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Froggy is the type that gets 27 disposals, 11 tackles and 5 score involvements in a grand final while his direct opponent gets it 11 times for zero value.

If we improve to the extent that Trent is in our bottom 6 players, then we are a top 4 team.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

You should open your eyes when you watch. Helps.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
LOL. Great Comeback. Dumont is “Slow”. But you can’t see that because you’re “Slow”. He trails his opponents. Sure he can run all day but he does so “Slowly”. Sadly because you’re pea sized brain struggles to compute what true speed is, you think he covers the ground adequately, when in fact he is labouring all over the field. He is part of the reason we get done on the spread. But none of this will register in that noggin of yours. You know why? Because you’re “Slow”. :stern look

I love Froggy. He's good, works hard and is adaptable, as we have seen this year given he has shifted from wing to centre square mid. In his wing role he works really hard defensively, covering a lot of space and helping the defence. In the middle he up in clearances and tackles, down in clangers. So eh is a a handy option. BUT, he is limited. He is not quick and he is not a great kick.

Ultimately if we are to move forward as a team then Frog needs not to be a key plank to the midfield rotations. Can he be part of the 22? For sure. Wing, rotating through the middle for sure. I think that suits him, as he runs all day, can do the grunt work and reads the play well. But we need better players in and around the contest. Cunners, Simpkin, LDU, Scott and Higgins is a good start but two of those guys will be gone soon. Who knows with Polec.

He is best 18 right now, but won't be if we make a finals run. I don't mind his anticipation at the bounce, if he is around the ball he can get to it but does struggle to get it away clean. If it is outside his reach then he really struggles to keep his opponent within reach. He holds his opponent a lot but rarely gets caught so that is a decent skill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. Great Comeback. Dumont is “Slow”. But you can’t see that because you’re “Slow”. He trails his opponents. Sure he can run all day but he does so “Slowly”. Sadly because you’re pea sized brain struggles to compute what true speed is, you think he covers the ground adequately, when in fact he is labouring all over the field. He is part of the reason we get done on the spread. But none of this will register in that noggin of yours. You know why? Because you’re “Slow”. :stern look
We are done on the spread because we carry a number of witches hats who don't chase. You're a grown man throwing around stern looks talking about rainbows and unicorns. Grow up

We are done on the spread because we carry a number of witches hats who don't chase. You're a grown man throwing around stern looks talking about rainbows and unicorns. Grow up

We're done on the spread a lot because we don't cash in on clearance possessions due to poor execution or decision making.

I'd figure the idea would be to first fix that, and then address the defensive aspects.

He's a 6th or 7th midfielder in a contending side, which is no criticism of him. All good sides bat deep in the middle and unfortunately he's been elevated to probably our 2nd or 3rd most important midfielder this year, as a result of injuries, form and poor player development.

He's a Liam Shiels type for mine - never going to be elite or someone you can build your midfield around but someone you can trust to do a variety of roles in important games.

He's a 6th or 7th midfielder in a contending side, which is no criticism of him. All good sides bat deep in the middle and unfortunately he's been elevated to probably our 2nd or 3rd most important midfielder this year, as a result of injuries, form and poor player development.

He's a Liam Shiel type for mine - never going to be elite or someone you can build your midfield around but someone you can trust to do a variety of roles in important games.
Spot on.

You definitely keep Frog on your list.

If the time comes when he's 18-22nd selected, then we'll be a good side. He reminds me of Brett Chandler, understated, but has value.

Loved frogs improvement this year.

It will be interesting in a couple seasons time (assuming that we draft 2-3 top pick midfielders over the next two drafts + the development of LDU, Jy & others), where he and Jed fit in.

I've always been a big fan of Froggy, I had high expectations because I felt his kicking skills were very good and he could hit targets and make smart decisions. I just feel that he has peaked at too low a level.

Assuming Cunnington returns next year and can play at a high level for a few more years then our best 18 midfield is Cunnington, LDU and Simpkin. Higgins will play wing with Polec (assuming he stays) and we have high expectations on Thomas, Scott and Walker taking big strides in the short-term.

We are also likely going to chase some more top end midfield talent in the next couple of drafts. Where does that leave players like Dumont and Anderson? Are we going to just phase them out over the next two years and pretty much end their careers there?

They have been really handy this year thanks to almost everyone getting injured, with the club saying they are looking to build around our 22 and under group I think Dumont and Anderson will eventually be pushed out unless our top end young talent fails and that is a more depressing prospect.

No doubt Dumont ain’t on his Pat Malone regarding our issues of being done on the spread however he is a part of the problem. But Satan Forbid anybody on This Forum criticise the obvious flaws of a Footballer. Like how “Slow” Dumont is and how ordinary his disposal is. Oh and the reason I bring up your Hardon for all things magical, like Unicorns and Rainbows, is that it clearly illustrates the childish nature of your thought process. :stern look

We're done on the spread a lot because we don't cash in on clearance possessions due to poor execution or decision making.

I'd figure the idea would be to first fix that, and then address the defensive aspects.
To a point yes but Snakes the game has changed. Teams primarily score on Turnover. So for example we may have the ball on half forward. Dumont lays off a Sloppy kick which gets intercepted. And off the opposition go from one end of the ground to the other. Yep getting done on the spread. :stern look

Reason for Edit: Drugs :stern look

Last edited:
No doubt Dumont ain’t on his Pat Malone regarding our issues of being done on the spread however he is a part of the problem. But Satan Forbid anybody on This Forum criticise the obvious flaws of a Footballer. Like how “Slow” Dumont is and how ordinary his disposal is. Oh and the reason I bring up your Hardon for all things magical, like Unicorns and Rainbows, is that it clearly illustrates the childish nature of your thought process. :stern look
Sure Zondor

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe a pick swap around the third round. Not sure he would be on many clubs radars.
Probably wouldn't even manage that. If lists are cut this year it will be a buyers market rather than a sellers market so I think those who think trading Froggy will make a contribution to our rebuild would most likely be disappointed. He is well and truly in our best 22 now so why give him away for a packet of chips; if he is not best 22 in a few years time that will be great

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back