Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

We have bugger all players in that 25-30 y.o age bracket and people want to get rid of the one who shows leadership, professionalism and sets the standard on the track? No thanks, you can keep your pick in your twenties.

Frog has been one our most consistent players over the last year 3/4 years and it is reflected in his BnF placings over the past 3 years. He might not be the best but good teams need role players like him moving forward.

If we are willing to give Luke McDonald a 5 year deal off the back of one good season I'd happily sign Frog up for another 3 years. You know what you are going to get with the bloke, week in week out.

I just went and asked on the Crows board and Frog being a done deal to them is news over there. None of them seem too excited.

Wouldn't be surprised or in any way annoyed if Frog tested the FA market, but I reckon he stays.

Late last year was when he was vulnerable imo

If he does leave it might then be to *.
He might want to be starting in the middle and better chance over there.

Pick 19 for a rebuilding club like ours is very valuable. It can be packaged with other picks to move us up the order or be used in its own right.

That said - a pick in the 30's/40's would not be worth it - we are better off resigning him.
Can't see us being offered pick 19 under any circumstances. It's not like Adelaide are going to offer him 600k plus

Can't see us being offered pick 19 under any circumstances. It's not like Adelaide are going to offer him 600k plus

You'd think Trent is a perennial 15-20 B&F finish and 33yo the way his draft value is being discussed too.

He's mid 20s and consistently finishes high in the Syd.

Even band 3 compensation (top 30%) would see us get ~pick 20. It's feasible.

Not saying this to you mate, but big ****ing woops even if we did get pick 19 or 20.

After bids etc we get a pick in the Will Walker region to replace a 2-way mid entering his prime years with 100 games of experience and excellent character.

I'm missing the upside on this one.

Not saying this to you mate, but big ****ing woops even if we did get pick 19 or 20.

After bids etc we get a pick in the Will Walker region to replace a 2-way mid entering his prime years with 100 games of experience and excellent character.

I'm missing the upside on this one.
The upside is that if it's his decision to leave then pick 20 is far better than nothing 🤷‍♂️

The upside is that if it's his decision to leave then pick 20 is far better than nothing 🤷‍♂️

Yay.

Of course, if HE spurns then yes we want to maximise return. But a few are talking like it's best leaving him on the passenger seat with the window open and walking off.

Yay.

Of course, if HE spurns then yes we want to maximise return. But a few are talking like it's best leaving him on the passenger seat with the window open and walking off.
But think of the new and shiny draft pick KC!

Personally I'm just looking at it from the silver lining perspective; I'm concerned by the smoke, but would rather think about what the clear skies might look like instead of actually contemplate the fire itself. I like Froggy, it would genuinely be sad if he wanted out.

I still don't get this woke stuff, so is it 1) people who care about in the media social issues, 2) people who love outrage due to in the media social issues, or 3) people who actually care about other people based on what they read in the media?

Did the wokes (or whatever it is) care about these things and then used social media to bring attention to it?

The world is complicated these days!
It is best understood as people who completely uninvited bring politics or social issues into a forum about football and annoy those who just want to discuss the footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see any clubs jumping out of their skin to get him. The Adelaide clubs included.

You want to make a bet? They would be incredibly stupid not to. He's the type of player that every club should be looking into, regardless of whether they're rebuilding or having a tilt at the flag. Very good (and ridiculously underrated) footballer who we're going to be worse off for losing.

The worst part of him leaving is we will not get compensation that reflects his importance to us. Previous pick 30(compo should be better than this at the very least), can play inside or outside, in the prime of his career, who has shown good leadership over his time at the club. We should be getting something in the realm of a late first/early second round but I bet we won't.

Going to hurt to see him leave and the salt in the wounds will be the lack of compensation we'll get in return.

Last edited:
You want to make a bet? They would be incredibly stupid not to. He's the type of player that every club should be looking into, regardless of whether they're rebuilding or having a tilt at the flag. Very good (and ridiculously underrated) footballer who we're going to be worse off for losing.

The worst part of him leaving is we will not get compensation that reflects his importance to us. Previous pick 30, can play inside or outside, in the prime of his career, who has shown good leadership over his time at the club. We should be getting something in the realm of a late first/early second round but I bet we won't.

Going to hurt to see him leave and the salt in the wounds will be the lack of compensation we'll get in return.
I've previously said I'd prefer Dumont stayed, but if his mind is made up and/or he got a godfather offer, then it turns to compensation - this depends on size and length of contract, relative to age? GWS got a second rounder for Corr, is that achievable? Given our spot on the ladder, might be low twenties?

The worst part of him leaving is we will not get compensation that reflects his importance to us. Previous pick 30, can play inside or outside, in the prime of his career, who has shown good leadership over his time at the club. We should be getting something in the realm of a late first/early second round but I bet we won't.

I think we're actually an OK chance of getting good compensation if he left. Even band 3 would be ~pick 20ish (band 1 = after our first pick, band 2 = end of round 1, band 3 = after our second pick IIRC). Their formula accounts for his salary at his age, and as a bottom end Free Agent he'd probably end up ranking well, on top of things like B&F finishes and the like which also works in our favour.

That is unless they've changed s**t, again.

The worst part of him leaving is we will not get compensation that reflects his importance to us. Previous pick 30(compo should be better than this at the very least), can play inside or outside, in the prime of his career, who has shown good leadership over his time at the club. We should be getting something in the realm of a late first/early second round but I bet we won't.

Great post soup dog

Problem is, we couldn't sign any free agents without wiping whatever compo we would receive for Froggy. Our strategy with him will depend fair bit on how optimistic we are on JK imo

I totally agree mate. I said in a post prior that I think he is integral to this side moving forward. Especially when we don’t have a lot of players in the 25-30 y.o age bracket.

From what I understand they have put off contract talks because Trent wants to see where Noble sees his role into the future. Obviously I itch his calf he didn’t get much of an insight into that in the first half of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back