Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Even band 3 compensation (top 30%) would see us get ~pick 20. It's feasible.

I'm a big fan of Froggy, a quality player and bloke and no doubt in most seasons he'd be re-signed by now. But given where we find ourselves on the ladder, the club should be thinking (and I've no doubt that they are), is what compensation pick they'd get if he were to exercise his free agency rights. It's quite conceivable given our ladder position that compensation pick would be quite a bit better than trade value. Given that, it makes sense to see how the rest of the season unfolds, if we were to string some wins together and get off the bottom the value of the compensation pick declines. So I don't think there's any rush from player or club to reach a new agreement in that it could be mutually beneficial for both to wait.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm a big fan of Froggy, a quality player and bloke and no doubt in most seasons he'd be re-signed by now. But given where we find ourselves on the ladder, the club should be thinking (and I've no doubt that they are), is what compensation pick they'd get if he were to exercise his free agency rights. It's quite conceivable given our ladder position that compensation pick would be quite a bit better than trade value. Given that, it makes sense to see how the rest of the season unfolds, if we were to string some wins together and get off the bottom the value of the compensation pick declines. So I don't think there's any rush from player or club to reach a new agreement in that it could be mutually beneficial for both to wait.
My perspective is that I'd strongly prefer we hold on to him, but if he wants out then ~pick 20 is ok (dare we even dream of band one compensation?). I don't think it reflects his value accurately, but all the same it's a good pick for a rebuilding team.

Ask yourself the question; is he in your premiership team if we make it to a prelim final conceivably within the next 5 years.

If the answer is no; then let him walk.
He easily could be. Up until injury he typically improved himself year on year and can play in a variety of positions, has good endurance and gut running capabilities, and follows instructions well. At minimum he is a capable role-player.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
exactly, we'd be silly not to cash in. been a good servant but not the type of player to take us forward. The only thing that I can see is if we're confident of getting Kelly then we would be best trading him as we would lose the compo pick by getting kelly

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Ask yourself the question; is he in your premiership team if we make it to a prelim final conceivably within the next 5 years.

If the answer is no; then let him walk.

It's really not that simple Bill.

All players exponentially improve when the players around them improve, and the bottom 16-22 players usually define how the top 8 plays out..

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You want to make a bet? They would be incredibly stupid not to. He's the type of player that every club should be looking into, regardless of whether they're rebuilding or having a tilt at the flag. Very good (and ridiculously underrated) footballer who we're going to be worse off for losing.

The worst part of him leaving is we will not get compensation that reflects his importance to us. Previous pick 30(compo should be better than this at the very least), can play inside or outside, in the prime of his career, who has shown good leadership over his time at the club. We should be getting something in the realm of a late first/early second round but I bet we won't.

Going to hurt to see him leave and the salt in the wounds will be the lack of compensation we'll get in return.
I think he is rated appropriately for a slow, outside player with limited hurt factor who goes semi-missing against good opponents.

Each to their own, and I do rate your analysis and appreciate your draft insights immeasurably but I think we will move on pretty quickly tbh and be just fine.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's really not that simple Bill.

All players exponentially improve when the players around them improve, and the bottom 16-22 players usually define how the top 8 plays out..

Don't get me wrong I genuinely don't think he is a bad player or too slow and provides nothing. He's what one could consider a supporting cast member in a premiership best 22 but if it takes us the maximum 5 years to get there just to have a crack...

I mean who knows where Trent is at in terms of his game by then, the cream rises to the top but the bottom players fall out quickly when its time to lift for flag-type standards.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
exactly, we'd be silly not to cash in. been a good servant but not the type of player to take us forward. The only thing that I can see is if we're confident of getting Kelly then we would be best trading him as we would lose the compo pick by getting kelly

What club is going to trade for an unrestricted free agent?

We will be well compensated if he goes.

We get Band 3 compo for him, it is after our 2nd. If we get Band 2 compo for him, it is before our 2nd pick.

Either way it we will have 2 picks in a row at the start of the 2nd round.
We need GC's PP as well.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We will be well compensated if he goes.

We get Band 3 compo for him, it is after our 2nd. If we get Band 2 compo for him, it is before our 2nd pick.

Either way it we will have 2 picks in a row at the start of the 2nd round.
If - big if - the cards fall that way, I'd be open to trading our first for next year for something in the 9-12 range this year; gives us four picks in the first 25-30, and thereby complete the cohort begun with Jy-TT-LDU and the 2020 trio

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You want to make a bet? They would be incredibly stupid not to. He's the type of player that every club should be looking into, regardless of whether they're rebuilding or having a tilt at the flag. Very good (and ridiculously underrated) footballer who we're going to be worse off for losing.

The worst part of him leaving is we will not get compensation that reflects his importance to us. Previous pick 30(compo should be better than this at the very least), can play inside or outside, in the prime of his career, who has shown good leadership over his time at the club. We should be getting something in the realm of a late first/early second round but I bet we won't.

Going to hurt to see him leave and the salt in the wounds will be the lack of compensation we'll get in return.
Absolutely this.

Frog is the type of player that would be rated far higher by clubs and recruiters than he is by fans of both us and opposition clubs who have a more facile understanding of the game. He does so much stuff structurally and with his defensive running and positioning that's not immediately noticeable as valuable but would be some of the first things picked up on by coaches.

I've said this heaps, but everyone should go read Mitch Robinson's piece from a couple of years ago about the role of the modern winger and their structural importance in both defensive and offensive transition. It will give you an insight into why someone like Frog would be rated really highly internally.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
My eyesight isn’t great and I thought the tiny lizards in the club tweet were tiny jumping frogs. Very happy to sign Lazzarro up, but we are really thin in the ranks of mid-aged reliable players who have experience and strength to play important roles and support the younger players as they develop.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably best operate under the assumption he doesn’t.
I find this collective self-flagellation about Kelly one part amusing, and one part peculiar - just how would spending $1million a year for 8 years on a player turning 27 next February fit into the current list strategy? People do know that Kelly's career stats are going backwards?

My eyesight isn’t great and I thought the tiny lizards in the club tweet were tiny jumping frogs. Very happy to sign Lazzarro up, but we are really thin in the ranks of mid-aged reliable players who have experience and strength to play important roles and support the younger players as they develop.

Frog is squarely in the list hole we have, where there are only 4 mature mids above the age of 24.

I wouldn't begrudge him exploring what is open to him. I think in terms of return we'd be better off keeping him.

I find this collective self-flagellation about Kelly one part amusing, and one part peculiar - just how would spending $1million a year for 8 years on a player turning 27 next February fit into the current list strategy? People do know that Kelly's career stats are going backwards?

I know you've wilfully ignored it, but it would not cost us $1m a year for 8 years.

If he was to join North, it is 100% certain that the above is true.

Back