Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know you've wilfully ignored it, but it would not cost us $1m a year for 8 years.

If he was to join North, it is 100% certain that the above is true.
that's great; has Kelly made an announcement that he's passing on the contract extension at the Giants? I'm only going on the media reports, if you've got better intel it would help us all

that's great; has Kelly made an announcement that he's passing on the contract extension at the Giants? I'm only going on the media reports, if you've got better intel it would help us all

Just common sense. If he comes to North, then by definition he would be passing on the GWS contract extension, no?

To get a deal done, GWS would pick up some of his salary - still a better outcome than the contract extension for them. And us signing him for 8 years? Yeah, nah.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just common sense. If he comes to North, then by definition he would be passing on the GWS contract extension, no?

To get a deal done, GWS would pick up some of his salary - still a better outcome than the contract extension for them. And us signing him for 8 years? Yeah, nah.
right - so the equation is $8 million over 8 years versus commonsense? My money's on him staying at GWS, but we'll see

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is no trigger.

The AFL contract rules don’t allow it.
Indeed, I've read that clause too - I guess the emphasis is on the word 'unilaterally'; either nobody in the media can read the collective agreement (ie, the 8 years is BS) or Kelly's manager and GWS have found a form of words that satisfies the provision and gives him the comfort that he wanted

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 3.32.27 pm.png

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Indeed, I've read that clause too - I guess the emphasis is on the word 'unilaterally'; either nobody in the media can read the collective agreement (ie, the 8 years is BS) or Kelly's manager and GWS have found a form of words that satisfies the provision and gives him the comfort that he wanted

View attachment 1152437
I think I mentioned it before, but it possibly could have been done in reverse. Instead of a unilateral extension clause, a unilateral clause to end the contract after 2 years. Then they just fudge the details when telling the media about it, because it plays better to the crowd to explain it that way.

I can't quite remember if anyone found something in the agreements that would prevent it being implemented that way, but I don't think they did.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

GWS aren’t picking anything up, as he’s not under contract with them unless he chooses to stay.

GWS aren’t picking anything up, as he’s not under contract with them unless he chooses to stay.

Sigh, it's all subject to negotiation. If he's going to move, the clubs will come to an arrangement. At this point in time, the details are unknown (of course).

I'll elaborate (though it's been done to death in the JK thread) - JK says to GWS that he's happy to move but doesn't want to leave so much money on the table. Another club is willing to pay, but not $1m per year, so to save GWS that amount (and save their salary cap), GWS might well be willing to contribute. Sort of like Collingwood are paying Treloar to play at Western.

Krakouer Bonar

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dumont is a great link player. Barely lowers his colours. Was seriously considering requesting a trade during the mass exodus of 2020, but had his concerns answered and stayed on.

I think he has the experience we lack, but also knows that if the move on Kelly is serious, and the development of a decent draft group continues, he may be squeezed out of the best 22.

Originally was a Melbourne lad, but his family are based out of Adelaide, i'd still reckon a call from the Crows may be too hard to pass up. I'd hate to lose him, but thats the way it goes.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sigh, it's all subject to negotiation. If he's going to move, the clubs will come to an arrangement. At this point in time, the details are unknown (of course).

I'll elaborate (though it's been done to death in the JK thread) - JK says to GWS that he's happy to move but doesn't want to leave so much money on the table. Another club is willing to pay, but not $1m per year, so to save GWS that amount (and save their salary cap), GWS might well be willing to contribute. Sort of like Collingwood are paying Treloar to play at Western.
I get what you're saying, but it's not allowed/possible. Treloar was contracted, hence Collingwood were able to foot some of the bill to make the deal happen. Its the same reason that people are discussing Melbourne trading Brown for a higher pick in exchange for paying most of his salary- we weren't able to do that as Brown was out of contract with us.

In order to pay him to play elsewhere, GWS would have to recontract Kelly and then trade him, which won't happen. He's either signing a new deal and staying, or leaving as a free agent.

Dumont is a great link player. Barely lowers his colours. Was seriously considering requesting a trade during the mass exodus of 2020, but had his concerns answered and stayed on.

I think he has the experience we lack, but also knows that if the move on Kelly is serious, and the development of a decent draft group continues, he may be squeezed out of the best 22.

Originally was a Melbourne lad, but his family are based out of Adelaide, i'd still reckon a call from the Crows may be too hard to pass up. I'd hate to lose him, but thats the way it goes.
I'd like to see him stay. Even if we were to get a pick around 21.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Are you saying that maybe he won’t have to sign for 8 whole years? OMFG

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

If we land Kelly, then "squeeze" won't even come in to it as far as a wing spot is concerned.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I was reading the Adelaide board and they have heard the same thing about him coming home.
Will be sad to see the Frog depart but can understand the lure home. He’s been a good soldier for us and should get a nice deal from Adelaide so I hope we’re compensated accordingly.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will be sad to see the Frog depart but can understand the lure home. He’s been a good soldier for us and should get a nice deal from Adelaide so I hope we’re compensated accordingly.

Agree. Three years at the pointy end of the Syd. Just turned 26 and has his peak years ahead of him. It’s either an early 20’s pick as compo or netted off against any free agent acquisition.

Back