Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to know where people think his ceiling is.

Still only 21, very good inside, but also one of our best kicks going inside 50 according to the statistics and Ben Brown on AFL360 the other night. Has the ability to rack up the pill, kick goals and his running ability seems to be improving all the time. How good can he be? Cunnington level? Or maybe better?
Reckon Froggy is less Cunnington and more Luke Parker. He should be looking to emulate Parker’s output and effectiveness.

Tragically wasted opportunity.

nvp01k.jpg

Still only 21, very good inside, but also one of our best kicks going inside 50 according to the statistics and Ben Brown on AFL360 the other night. Has the ability to rack up the pill, kick goals and his running ability seems to be improving all the time. How good can he be? Cunnington level? Or maybe better?

Very, very young for an inside style mid isn't he. Seems a bit more rounded than Cunnington, a touch lighter on his feet which I think gets him that little bit of space. Seems to have significantly more endurance - or at least doesn't appear out on his feet as much. Not sure his his best qualities are as elite as Cunnington's handball but is definitely more rounded. Not sure to be honest... but if he ends up around the same mark we'll be very happy.

Tragically wasted opportunity.

nvp01k.jpg

Very, very young for an inside style mid isn't he. Seems a bit more rounded than Cunnington, a touch lighter on his feet which I think gets him that little bit of space. Seems to have significantly more endurance - or at least doesn't appear out on his feet as much. Not sure his his best qualities are as elite as Cunnington's handball but is definitely more rounded. Not sure to be honest... but if he ends up around the same mark we'll be very happy.

Haha crossed my mind. Maybe if it was one of our own I was responding to.

I don't think there is any reason to doubt he can't reach that level, and higher, however I often recoil from comparisons because they tend to mean different things to different people.

The first thing that comes to mind with this one, for example, is that they're very different types of players. Yes, they both play at the coalface, but they have different attributes. Not least, Froggy has a little turn of pace to get clear, has more energy to him generally, and is probably a better kick. He spreads and hustles better too, I think.

IF you're going to go for comparisons, it'd have to be outside the club I think, and possibly with someone no longer playing.

Reckon Froggy is less Cunnington and more Luke Parker. He should be looking to emulate Parker’s output and effectiveness.
I worded that poorly.

I wasn't comparing them in style, completely agree with shintemaster identification of their differences, more asking if we think Dumont could get to Cunnington levels of performance? Or can he perhaps be better? A question though that may be difficult considering that Cunners probably isn't even at his peak yet.

We all know that the likes of Wood, Garner and Simpkin have ridiculously high ceilings and could all be anything if they get their body right. I think Dumont is a little harder to judge than those 3 though. Maybe because, comparatively, he's more meat and potatoes (albeit the highest quality cut of beef (tofu for you Kimbo) and the best spuds), with less flair than those guys.

He's probably my favourite of our younger group, but I find it difficult to assess how good he could be.

I worded that poorly.

I wasn't comparing them in style, completely agree with shintemaster identification of their differences, more asking if we think Dumont could get to Cunnington levels of performance? Or can he perhaps be better? A question though that may be difficult considering that Cunners probably isn't even at his peak yet.

We all know that the likes of Wood, Garner and Simpkin have ridiculously high ceilings and could all be anything if they get their body right. I think Dumont is a little harder to judge than those 3 though. Maybe because, comparatively, he's more meat and potatoes (albeit the highest quality cut of beef (tofu for you Kimbo) and the best spuds), with less flair than those guys.

He's probably my favourite of our younger group, but I find it difficult to assess how good he could be.

I think his ceiling is Brett Ratten.

That's who he reminds me of.

For those not old enough to remember, he was a ******* gun. Hard and good skills, and a dash of pace, not quick quick, but a good few steps to acquire enough space to be effective combined with excellent cleanliness and hands in general. Which basically sums up Trent.

I reckon Froggy can be a Sloane type player(minus Gibbo on his clacker). Just a good all around capable player.

For those not old enough to remember, he was a ******* gun. Hard and good skills, and a dash of pace, not quick quick, but a good few steps to acquire enough space to be effective combined with excellent cleanliness and hands in general. Which basically sums up Trent.
Good call, although Froggy is a better kick I reckon.

So a poor mans' Anthony Stevens :-D

I remember watching our Frog debut against Geelong In 2015, kicked a couple and set a few up. I remember thinking 'wow, this kid has apex predator instinct'. Must admit I've watched him very closely since and he's improved exponentially.

Spent a lot of time frustrated for him in 2016 as he performed his role as Swallow's understudy and struggled to break into the best 22, seems now it was VERY worth it. He's all class, bar a couple of errors here and there. But a player with the attitude our boy seems to have will turn those weaknesses into strengths VERY quickly.

With the tools and instincts he's got, I can see him being a Sam Mitchel type - not the fastest, but bloody crafty and absolutely lethal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ratten was pretty good. There was something about him that tickled my memory but I couldn't put my finger on it. According to wikipedia it was the most clearances ever (until 2013). A few other things too.

If he is as good as that and we keep him and a few others for 10 years we'll win 3 flags.

Love the fact he's been hitting the scoreboard this year.

5 goals in 8 games.
I'm not one to bash Swallow because I love him, but he's kicked 5 goals in the last 3 years. Froggy improves us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back