Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Understatement of the year.

Isn't up to it.

I'm not writing him off, but the collapse has been sudden. His first two months were good.
The great man Stevo has given him huge wraps and reckons he's guy who oozes leadership.
I'd hate to see the development of another promising youngster stall...that's like Groundhog Day.

Was down the midfield pecking order today so didn't get as much opportunity out of the middle. Seems to be plodding like Mason Wood now that he has had a contract extension. Plays best when in the guts and moving through the centre and kicking ball inside 50. Probably needs to focus on building his tank over summer - bit like Cunnington needed to at same stage of his career.

It's up to him, really, what happens from here. It's not a great time to start losing the edge, because in eight weeks time the midfield will be where the microscope will focus the most. It's no secret the type of player we're chasing.

Although I can never justify playing swallow ahead of him, which is what is happening this week... Trent needs to lose weight and improve his fitness. Just not at an AFL standard currently.

I wonder how much of his drop in form is due to Swallow playing in the middle again?

When he was at his best earlier in the year Swallow was either out of the team or playing on the wing/flank.

EDIT: Same thing used to happen with Cunnington, where he would look a lot better with Swallow out of the squad.

I think he is just really out of form. Seems to be fumbling an awful lot and his skills have dropped off.

Moving Ziebell to HB was probably an attempt to give him (and others) more responsibility in the middle but he just has not responded.

Nothing more than a form slump, not too concerned. He has shown his best is absolutely good enough for the AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another inside slug, Joyce completely misread where the competition was heading & recruited too many inside mids. It’s going to take years before we can reshape our list.
I'll pull my go-to move here: Who was taken after him that is at least as good and would suit our needs better?

George Hewett? Flanker, fringe player.
Nick Robertson? Flanker, travelling ok, we have plenty of his type.
Kennedy-Harris? small forward, can't force his way into the GoDees team.
Riley Knight? Maybe, not sure he's any quicker than Froggy
Then after the Brown pick, Orazio Fantasia and Jayden Hunt are having more impact than him at the moment. But one's a HBF and the other's a FP. Honeychurch was pick 60 and isn't all that good, though he's played a bit in a good side.

Good running/accumulating mids are pretty rare outside the top 25. Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Billy Hartung, Zach Merrett and Lewis Taylor all went between picks 18-28. Dunstan and Acres have probably more exposed form than Froggy thanks to the different list profiles at the time they were drafted, but look like good footsoldiers rather than potential A-Graders. Acres isn't even established best 22. Taylor is a solid contributor despite people making fun of his RS win.

Merrett is obviously a star but we had no way of getting him.

What would you have done with that pick?

Last year he was not only improving in the middle, but was a beautiful kick inside 50. Seems to have hit a bit of a hurdle, but he's only very early in his career - I'd back him to get back on the improvement trend sooner rather than later.

I think he is just really out of form. Seems to be fumbling an awful lot and his skills have dropped off.
He keeps this up and he's going to find himself captain.
Yes, this comment leaped out at me too. Thank goodness Froggy is the only one fumbling and suffering skills drop off, otherwise we'd be at the bottom of the ladder.

Yes, this comment leaped out at me too. Thank goodness Froggy is the only one fumbling and suffering skills drop off, otherwise we'd be at the bottom of the ladder.

Yeah all those others not fumbling etc are keeping us in the race at 17th ;)

Froggy certainly is not on his Pat Malone!

Just very noticeable from a guy who I believe has shown glimpses of elite qualities when it comes to clean hands, composure in traffic and ball use by hand and foot.

I'll pull my go-to move here: Who was taken after him that is at least as good and would suit our needs better?

George Hewett? Flanker, fringe player.
Nick Robertson? Flanker, travelling ok, we have plenty of his type.
Kennedy-Harris? small forward, can't force his way into the GoDees team.
Riley Knight? Maybe, not sure he's any quicker than Froggy
Then after the Brown pick, Orazio Fantasia and Jayden Hunt are having more impact than him at the moment. But one's a HBF and the other's a FP. Honeychurch was pick 60 and isn't all that good, though he's played a bit in a good side.

Good running/accumulating mids are pretty rare outside the top 25. Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Billy Hartung, Zach Merrett and Lewis Taylor all went between picks 18-28. Dunstan and Acres have probably more exposed form than Froggy thanks to the different list profiles at the time they were drafted, but look like good footsoldiers rather than potential A-Graders. Acres isn't even established best 22. Taylor is a solid contributor despite people making fun of his RS win.

Merrett is obviously a star but we had no way of getting him.

What would you have done with that pick?

We can all get picks wrong but Joyce had the opportunity to trade or delist those players.

He missed the boat,that’s why he’s been so desperate to recruit speed with long term contacts all of which have been rejected so far.

Dumont is a slow inside mid with no elite skills ( good kick but not elite ), not required imo.

We can all get picks wrong but Joyce had the opportunity to trade or delist those players.

He missed the boat,that’s why he’s been so desperate to recruit speed with long term contacts all of which have been rejected so far.

Dumont is a slow inside mid with no elite skills ( good kick but not elite ), not required imo.
Trade or delist what players?

And get what instead?

How, over the 4 drafts from 2011 to 2014, could we have used the picks better? Don't even confine it to one year, because I acknowledge you can back yourself into a corner year-on-year (e.g., needing 3 KPDs by the time 2014 came along). You can trade out Basti and Black at their peak value, let's say each for an early 2nd.

Moving Ziebell to HB was probably an attempt to give him (and others) more responsibility in the middle but he just has not responded.

Nothing more than a form slump, not too concerned. He has shown his best is absolutely good enough for the AFL level.
Agreed. What's the quickest way to get into a form slump? Be asked to tag ablett and kennedy for the entire game regardless of how well they are doing. Some respond to that pressure, some don't.

He will bounce back. Too much skill and ability to not.

22 years old, 4 years in the system, not a lot of quality mids blocking his path....its not looking good for Froggy it must be said.

The rule of thumb for smalls/mids is that you need to be entrenched in the team by the age of 22 - Froggy is along way off that at the moment - and time is running out.

With the club looking to recruit higher quality mids you would have to think his name is going to come up at trade time - he may be the icing on some higher profile trades come October.

22 years old, 4 years in the system, not a lot of quality mids blocking his path....its not looking good for Froggy it must be said.

The rule of thumb for smalls/mids is that you need to be entrenched in the team by the age of 22 - Froggy is along way off that at the moment - and time is running out.

With the club looking to recruit higher quality mids you would have to think his name is going to come up at trade time - he may be the icing on some higher profile trades come October.
He may well be part of a trade, along with others, who knows?

That said, I think the age and years in the system issue is not specific to Froggy alone. He's been one of a number that have had to wait longer to gather the experience due to our previous age and experience profile, not to mention the selection approach in the 2014-16 era. He'd have more experience in four years if he'd have debuted in 2010. Not that that guarantees anything, but it does skew the age/years in system numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back