Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

You can crack the shits all you like.

If he doesn't lift (fairly significantly), he won't won't make the cut, or he will play out a career in predominately crap sides..

I'll be the happiest bloke on earth if he can prove me wrong.

1.He got his contract extension.
2.He thought he was invincible.
3.reality check in VFL.
4.comes back and plays great footy again.
5.Lesson learnt (dont get to comfortable).

Classic situation and probably happens to most players.
Expecting great form from froggy.

You can crack the shits all you like.

If he doesn't lift (fairly significantly), he won't won't make the cut, or he will play out a career in predominately crap sides..

I'll be the happiest bloke on earth if he can prove me wrong.
No ones cracking the shits. We've posited reasonable questions which you seem to be refusing to answer because they don't fit your narrative.

Frankly, he's already proved you wrong because you're so far off to begin with. Borderline categorically incorrect.

He's a 22 year old (who had played a grand total of 20 games at the start of the year) in his first full season of senior footy who averages 20+ touches (12 contested), 3.5 clearances and 5 tackles a game from 75% game time (and who was 7th league wide for goal assists per game in 2016), yet you bizarrely choose him to be the primary target of your vitriol. It's confusing tbh. He's a super talent who's tracking beautifully and will be a crucial part of our midfield for years to come.

No ones cracking the shits. We've posited reasonable questions which you seem to be refusing to answer because they don't fit your narrative.

Frankly, he's already proved you wrong because you're so far off to begin with. Borderline categorically incorrect.

He's a 22 year old who had played a grand total of 20 games at the start of the year in his first full season of senior footy averages 20+ touches (12 contested), 3.5 and 5 tackles a game from 75% game time (and who was 7th league wide for goal assists per game in 2016), yet you bizarrely choose him to be the primary target of your vitriol. It's confusing tbh. He's a super talent who's tracking beautifully and will be a crucial part of our midfield for years to come.

Your questions are overloaded with emotionally driven bullshit.

It's going to be a pointless time wasting exercise to draw out this discussion with you.

Merrett is an excellent comparison. They are both in the same age and draft bracket.

I'm pointing out that Dumonts output would be that of a surplus player in a top 4 side. This bloke is just a list filler.

Don't bother bringing up his age either. Andrew Swallow won a Syd Barker Medal at the same age that Dumont is now.

Merrett is a horrible comparison. Merrett should be an all Australian this year and basically walks into any midfield and becomes #1 or #2 guy. Saying if Dumont doesn't match his output is stupid. Dumont is a solid mid in a poor team. In a top-4 team he needs to go another level but he doesn't need to reach Merret's level. You are seriously underrating Merrett.

Merrett is a horrible comparison. Merrett should be an all Australian this year and basically walks into any midfield and becomes #1 or #2 guy. Saying if Dumont doesn't match his output is stupid. Dumont is a solid mid in a poor team. In a top-4 team he needs to go another level but he doesn't need to reach Merret's level. You are seriously underrating Merrett.

Strip away the emotion and you have basically agreed with my posts.

He's just a plodder mate, and he will get found out sooner rather than later if he doesn't lift his output.

Will become the new swallow but have great skills

I repeat, Swallow was a Syd Barker Medallist at the same age as Dumont.

Trent isn't currently even in the same ball park.

Strip away the emotion and you have basically agreed with my posts.

He's just a plodder mate, and he will get found out sooner rather than later if he doesn't lift his output.
In other words: let's strip away everything that doesn't suit my narrative and distort what's left so that it does.

You don't really like being wrong, do you?

And just like Merrett, lining up Dumont and Swallow like that is a false equivalence. Swallow had played 40 games at the start of the season in which he won his BnF, including a full finals campaign in 2007.

And just like Merrett, lining up Dumont and Swallow like that is a false equivalence. Swallow had played 40 games at the start of the season in which he won his BnF, including a full finals campaign in 2007.

Okay, if you think those 20 games are so important then I expect we'll come back here next year and I will make a complete retraction based upon Trent winning the 2018 Syd Barker Medal. See you in 14 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, if you think those 20 games are so important then I expect we'll come back here next year and I will make a complete retraction based upon Trent winning the 2018 Syd Barker Medal. See you in 14 months.
My initial comment comes from a place where I find myself agreeing with your opinions on most things except Dumont. I'm not saying he'll be AA but I do think he can be an important midfield cog in a top 4 side.

I'm pointing out that Dumonts output would be that of a surplus player in a top 4 side. This bloke is just a list filler.
You may well be right about the assessment in your first sentence; that's yet to be determined and may end up being hypothetical. We don't really know what his ceiling is yet, given his relative inexperience.

But, to suggest he may be a fringe midfielder in a top four side doesn't necessarily make him a 'list filler'. (I'm probably interpreting that as 'list clogger', rightly or wrongly.) I'd suggest, if we're a top four side, and here's hoping we become that, and Froggy is midfield depth (let's say interchange or first up with injuries), that's somewhat better than list filler; it's potentially quality depth. The implication that we may have better talent than him doesn't necessarily mean he's a 'plodder'.

Trent is a good 'un. Still think if he can build himself from an athletic viewpoint - either go all out in building power or strips down and maximises his reasonable endurance - it'll set him off.

Has nice vision and disposal. His footskills especially are a point of difference amongst our stodgy mids.

Good to see some positive stuff out there for Trent after his name got dragged through the mud a bit during that taxi ordeal.

Great stuff. This guy will take Ziebs spot in the midfield to allow him to go forward. Not the finished product yet. I reckon we will see this guy go to another level next year. Inside mids always take a little longer.

Needs to lift.
Seriously mate?? I have a great deal of respect for some of your posting, but the hypocrisy you show in your posting regarding Froggy in comparison to Goldy is just ridiculous. Trent played a good game today, not only won the contested ball but was able to get on the outside and use his skills. I'm delighted with his development as a 22 year old inside mid, is already a very well rounded footballer and has so much upside, both with his body and fitness and his output. Reminds me of Luke Parker, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him reach the same level.

Seriously mate?? I have a great deal of respect for some of your posting, but the hypocrisy you show in your posting regarding Froggy in comparison to Goldy is just ridiculous.

It's ridiculous to even entertain a comparison.

Trent played a good game today...

No he didn't. He was asked to stand Mitchell early, got torched, and had to be moved, as well as providing two shizen uncontested turnovers that resulted in two Hawthorn goals. Showed a complete lack of awareness later in the match, got tackled and that resulted in another Hawthorn goal. Is limited, can't play any other position, and looks to me that he would not make the grade in a top 4 midfield. Currently, he is filler.

.....not only won the contested ball but was able to get on the outside and use his skills. I'm delighted with his development as a 22 year old inside mid, is already a very well rounded footballer and has so much upside, both with his body and fitness and his output. Reminds me of Luke Parker, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him reach the same level.

You seriously need to stop sniffing glue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back