Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite underwhelming for froggy so far

Only been a few games but even in the JLT he was meh

Needs to watch what Jed is doing pressure wise plus dumont is a fantastic inside 50 kick

Last edited:
We all know we tried Froggy and Decs in these roles last year which failed.

He said the return of Jacobs, who restricted Ross to 23 disposals and caught St Kilda's midfield off-guard, had a flow-on effect that strengthened the Kangaroos' midfield.

"We tried to clone him last year when he was injured," Scott said.

"We probably asked a lot of some players who just weren’t ready for that challenge. There are not many players who are as dogged and competitive as Ben is.

"It’s certainly easier for us and it changes the mix in our midfield dramatically."

He said the return of Jacobs, who restricted Ross to 23 disposals and caught St Kilda's midfield off-guard, had a flow-on effect that strengthened the Kangaroos' midfield.

Anyone who has ever played pennant golf would know how thos strategy works.

But for it to work everybody else down the line has to lift. That happened well on GF.

Quite underwhelming for froggy so far

Only been a few games but even in the JLT he was meh

Needs to watch what Jed is doing pressure wise plus dumont is a fantastic inside 50 kick
Now while I’ve been rapt to see Jed respond so well and agree with the general vibe that Froggy could be doing more ...
437F45A7-5AD8-4BCE-978E-EDB3F27F0A67.jpeg
... He does kinda have twice as many pressure acts as Jed. (Weird Cairns monsoon conditions in half that sample size notwithstanding).

Now while I’ve been rapt to see Jed respond so well and agree with the general vibe that Froggy could be doing more ...
View attachment 478174
... He does kinda have twice as many pressure acts as Jed. (Weird Cairns monsoon conditions in half that sample size notwithstanding).

I would tend to discard that 1st match data sample altogether, unless I was winding up opposition supporter/s.

Trent's a developing player with limitations that get found out too frequently because he has to play B roles around players with his same speed issues. Fumbled too much in his first two games but in the Saints and Dees game I thought he was bobbing up when other players were going missing, a sign I think is meaningful. I've seen some promise this season and though I think he's tracking to be a role player for when we have a more athletic mid to replace him with he does well for a midfielder that rarely ever starts on ball.

Disappointing to hear this “outworked” theme two weeks out of three. “Outclassed” I can deal with. But not outworked.

And the method itself is clearly the problem which he touched on in that interview. That could be the bigger issue.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Froggy was one of our leading ball getters on Saturday but he was playing on Lewis both were running at the same speed going for the ball. Sort of sums up our midfield if we had more riches he probably would struggle to get a game.

Has no outstanding attribute that can be played to.

His kicking when in space or to a leading player is excellent. It’s just that with his speed he doesn’t get on the outside enough to make it a weapon.

I’m still backing him in to come on a bit this year. Playing out of the centre square means he has a bit of a role change.

He’s playing as a defensive winger, effectively Luke’s role from last year, I don’t quite get it, unless there’s something wrong with Luke with his fitness and they don’t trust Dumont in the centre clearance area.

Bobbed up for his share of goals in u18s which did add a point of difference to his mid work. Hopefully can repeat that.

Thought he was fairly dynamic in the f50 in his first game (vs Geelong?).

As a sub in the last late in the game when others were fatigued. Did well, but there were extenuating circumstances.

I think he has shown a bit at times, doesn't panic in tight and has been creative with his kicking. I could be off but I get a sense of a little bit of arrogance/self-confidence in his personality, which I like. I do question his hunger though - is he happy just being an AFL player? I don't think he has enough to make a career without getting angry and getting hungry. But I wonder if he could become a pretty good player with a bit more urgency. I think there's something there, would love to see him play with a bit of aggro.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back