Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked the comparison Derm made with Sam Mitchell. Both are not exactly fast but have fantastic foot skills and can fire off a rapid handball. Froggy has the sort of build too that doesnt look likely to lead to many soft tissue injuries. If we have him, Higgins, Cunnington and LT firing the ball in to forward 50 we will have some of the cleanest forward 50 entires from the midfield we would have had in years. Now all we need to do is train JZ and Swallow to give the handball at all times to one of the kickers

I liked the comparison Derm made with Sam Mitchell. Both are not exactly fast but have fantastic foot skills and can fire off a rapid handball. Froggy has the sort of build too that doesnt look likely to lead to many soft tissue injuries. If we have him, Higgins, Cunnington and LT firing the ball in to forward 50 we will have some of the cleanest forward 50 entires from the midfield we would have had in years. Now all we need to do is train JZ and Swallow to give the handball at all times to one of the kickers

He does have the presence and the potential for skills that are Mitchellesque, but I also think he's more mobile and able to run. Kind of a similar stature to Hanneberry in that sense too. Maybe a mixture of the 2?

Most important to him will be game time I reckon. Must play ahead of Swallow if it comes down to a 1v1 decision.

He'd be a great fit for either Adelaide side, they surely will be lurking.
Just on this, if he did decide to leave, what would you guys think he'd be worth? I'm not expecting him to leave whatsoever, just curious because I really like his playing style and he's an SA boy, but he very much seems like he'll be in your midfield for a long time

Just on this, if he did decide to leave, what would you guys think he'd be worth? I'm not expecting him to leave whatsoever, just curious because I really like his playing style and he's an SA boy, but he very much seems like he'll be in your midfield for a long time

Would be tough to demand anything more than a second rounder right now, despite his potential. He just hasn't played enough to prove himself as a genuine AFL player yet. Which is why it's so important he plays a full season.

He was born in Victoria and moved over to SA when he was 8. so he was technically only a "visitor"

Frog's opening round leap
Ricky Mangidis March 25, 2017 1:00 PM

250317_FrogLarge.jpg

It’s his fourth year at Arden Street, but Sunday will be Trent Dumont’s first Round 1 game.

The 21-year-old cemented his place in the seasonn-pener with some excellent form against quality opposition.

“I feel like I’ve had a good pre-season and more so my last month has been really solid on the track,” Dumont told NMFC.com.au.

“I started finding things that are working well for me and really put them into play.”

One of those keys for Dumont is a focus on applying pressure around the ball.

No Kangaroo had more pressure acts than Dumont during the JLT Series.

“We build our game on pressure and we’re a pressure team,” he said.

“If I can contribute to that as best as possible, I will.

“I’ll keep putting in that effort and each week it’s just about work rate for me, there’s no real surprises.”

The North midfield will be missing a key cog on Sunday against the Eagles, with Ben Cunnington out through suspension.

Dumont admitted his role may ‘change a little bit’ to cover Cunnington.

“Obviously, he’s a massive contested ball player," he said.

“I’ll still go out there and play to my strengths, but we might have to tweak a few things.”

The West Coast midfield features some of the best players in the game, with the likes of Sam Mitchell, Matt Priddis and Luke Shuey all more than capable of winning their own ball.

That means the stoppage battle will be crucial at Etihad Stadium.

“They [the Eagles] score pretty well from stoppages, and last year we didn’t nullify that well enough,” Dumont explained

“I think we can really challenge them in there and get our hands on the ball, get them working the other way and really challenge them the other way.

“They’re a very good team, and apart from the publicised changes with Mitchell and [Nathan] Vardy and [Drew] Petrie, it’s a very similar team. We know what we’re coming up against.”

On the other side of the equation, there is a hint of the unknown about North’s line-up.

There’ll be six new Roos, four of whom will make their AFL debut.

Out of all the debutants, Braydon Preuss is arguably the one who has garnered the most headlines during the summer.

In Dumont’s time at VFL level for North Ballarat and Werribee, he’s had the best seat in the house to watch Preuss' development.

“He’s given me a fair few clearances in his time, helped me out, got me a few games last year,” Dumont joked.

“He’s [Preuss] really good with his tap work. He’s still learning the game but he’s done a massive amount of work on it and his body to get him up to AFL standard.

“I think he’s ready and he’s going to have a really good AFL career.”

averaged 17 disposals near five tackles, 4 marks in 74% game time in 2016. Has only played 20 games, I think we wouldn't know how high Trent's ceiling is currently.

I remember Sheahan saying he couldn't believe Dumont lasted until pick 30. This kid is a super talent. A great get, was fairly unfit when we got him due I'm sure to an ankle injury and growing into himself. Amazing how many clubs try and draft for immediate impact, something we did with Liam Anthony.

PLAYS LIKE
He's a little like Ollie Wines, who burst onto the AFL scene this year for Port Adelaide. Dumont battles hard around the stoppages, is a solid kick, and can also move forward and hit the scoreboard. Throughout his past couple of seasons Dumont has shown he can find the goals, be it through a snap out of a pack or converting a set shot.

DRAFT RANGE
Dumont could sneak into the end of the first round but is a chance to be available early in the second round.

BOTTOM LINE
There's a number of hard midfielders inside the top 30, and Dumont is one. He seems to be well placed to grow his

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to know the coach is confident Trent can keep his spot when Ben comes back.
Yeah he's a best 22 mid. Very good around the stoppages, good vision, strong with his first possession in congestion, an excellent gut runner and very good kick. Very much a true footballer who i expect will have a strong season and cement himself as a long term AFL player.

Well, I missed BT's interviews too, so I'm not sure what he's referring to. Regardless, good to see him stick it up him.

I thought he was doing well in the first half. Second half he was pretty poo though. Need to persist with him though, would be braindead not to.
I thought i was in game day thread re my last post.

Definitely a player we should stick with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back