Past #15: Atu Bosenavulagi - drafted #77 '18 ND by CFC - traded to NM as part of Stepho/BBB deal - 8 NM games/1 NM goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Going back to the original point then do you believe Brady(playing as a tagger), Roos(one of the most defensive coaches the game has seen) and Blakey(see both above) instructed Ziebell to play 5 meters off his man all game?

Is that seriously your understanding of events?

there’s tolerated loses and there’s picking the correct target, overconvoluted tactics or not, senior players did not preform to standard.

How many of the 35 scoring shots occurred because of Jack's errors?

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
There's a couple of undeniable facts we can draw from the 2 x practice matches.

1) The game plan is far too convoluted relative to the development of the players at this point in time.
2) If they have drilled these tactics under pressure, then the strategy needs to be revamped significantly.

I am of the school of thought that overconvoluted tactics are prone to breaking down too easily and too often, and at the moment they are very reactionary.

Reactionary does not win games of football.
I would have to say that this has been a callout for a while now, even back to Brad Scott and Laidley days where we seemed to struggle with a game plan?

Not sure whether that says more about our coaches, playing group or game plan over the years...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I certainly don’t think Koschitzke is going to have an easy a ride next time we play them.

Koschitzke is 194cms & 94kgs, and if Jack is getting drawn back by him in to the defensive 50, then it's either a tactical match up error (the coach), or an opposition strategy to manipulate the North defensive structure to create a mismatch (the defenders as a whole).

The real problem was that the ball kept coming back at our defence so often after they rolled up to form the press.

Waynesworld

May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Koschitzke is 194cms & 94kgs, and if Jack is getting drawn back by him in to the defensive 50, then it's either a tactical match up error (the coach), or an opposition strategy to manipulate the North defensive structure to create a mismatch (the defenders as a whole).
I re-watched the replay last night and I didn't think Jack was accountable for as many goals on Koschitke as some hear are calling out.

It was just another Kerridge game that we seem to do so well for opposition newcomers and spuds.

What does concern me is that with our defence leaking goals against St Kilda and Hawthorn - yet none of our Key Forwards dominated in any of the intra club games...

I re-watched the replay last night and I didn't think Jack was accountable for as many goals on Koschitke as some hear are calling out.

It was just another Kerridge game that we seem to do so well for opposition newcomers and spuds.

What does concern me is that with our defence leaking goals against St Kilda and Hawthorn - yet none of our Key Forwards dominated in any of the intra club games...

Actually, Josh had a dominant second quarter

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seeing as we’re talking tactics I don’t think we can underestimate the loss of Cunners. From the scratchies I saw he dominated in the middle and set up play diesel Williams style. His ability to find space and get hands to someone on the outside was really missed. He opens the game up from the contest and allows our blokes to run through the middle of the ground.

Noble seems to want to bring the ball through the corridor as much as possible and there’s not a player on our list that can make that happen from the contest yet, that’s hopefully going to be Phillips but he’s not ready yet. Simpkin isn’t that type and neither is LDU.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

There's no ****ing doubt whatsoever that this stuff gets magnified by simpletons looking to quell their angst by searching for the simplest appeasement available (cognitive bias).

In fairness though, opposition coaches do look to exploit player types in defences that utilise these strategies, so it's about how the press sets up and reacts to turnovers.

In Larkey's favor he has been two outed a hell of a lot so far, and we haven't looked threatening until someone else was put down there with him (Walker).

Folks also criticise Turner who is busting his arse waaaaay more than anyone else down there. The real issue atm is the lack of output from the flanker types.

Waynesworld

May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Actually, Josh had a dominant second quarter

True.

But I am not classifying him as a Key Forward per se at the moment, considering he played as a defender last year and also through the pre-season and intra clubs.

Although it makes the situation more concerning when a defender is our most dominant forward (and yes I know he has played forward during his career).

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The real problem was that the ball kept coming back at our defence so often after they rolled up to form the press.

Jack’s also a 30 year old playing against a second year player.. the only reason I’m having a go at jack is because he is captain.

did Clarkson instruct everyone to Koschitzke to exploit the match up, most likely, did Nobel leave it going as a lesson to Jack, having to go against bigger bodies, all season, probably.

I’m sure he’ll learn a hell of a lot, for the hitout.

trailing a couple of meters off an opponent been indicative of how we are playing, we need to add a whole lot more pressure around the ball, that’s why we’re in the atu thread, if he can trail Turner and pressure, pressure, pressure. We’ll be a whole lot better off.

Waynesworld

May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Jack’s also a 30 year old playing against a second year player.. the only reason I’m having a go at jack is because he is captain.

did Clarkson instruct everyone to Koschitzke to exploit the match up, most likely, did Nobel leave it going as a lesson to Jack, having to go against bigger bodies, all season, probably.

I’m sure he’ll learn a hell of a lot, for the hitout.

trailing a couple of meters off an opponent been indicative of how we are playing, we need to add a whole lot more pressure around the ball, that’s why we’re in the atu thread, if he can trail Turner and pressure, pressure, pressure. We’ll be a whole lot better off.

Sorry but getting Atu to trail Turner will have zero impact on how the ball enters our defensive 50, which is the reason opposition forwards are able to find so much space (and not just talking about Jack here).

The pressure needs to come further up the ground so that the defenders have more chance to defend.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Versatility is good, but since we have next to no genuine pressure~crumbing forwards I hope he gets a go down there first.

Same.

I have no idea why he is playing back.

We have no good, creative small fwds at all so why he isn't there I'm not sure.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's no ****ing doubt whatsoever that this stuff gets magnified by simpletons looking to quell their angst by searching for the simplest appeasement available (cognitive bias).
Yep, it's like how some posters are already getting stuck into the coach after 2 practice matches. Simpletons just need to quell their angst by searching for the simplest appeasement as you said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, it's like how some posters are already getting stuck into the coach after 2 practice matches. Simpletons just need to quell their angst by searching for the simplest appeasement as you said.

Who were you previously?

This is not a new poster rather someone with a chip on the shoulder hence attacking posters. (not me luckily this time as I have backed Noble in completely)

Just be honest.

I would have to say that this has been a callout for a while now, even back to Brad Scott and Laidley days where we seemed to struggle with a game plan?

Not sure whether that says more about our coaches, playing group or game plan over the years...

“Best option footy” comes to mind. FFS.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just doing my much anticipated player ratings for 2021.

Just quietly and going off what limited vision i've seen. I feel Atu is a shitmen. The term they pedal in the media is journeymen, but I see no need for such pleasantries.

He’s not a finished product. And we got him for practically nothing. Not a lot of expectation on him. It’s weird how we’re writing him in or out at this early stage.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
He’s not a finished product. And we got him for practically nothing. Not a lot of expectation on him. It’s weird how we’re writing him in or out at this early stage.

It's funny, I kind of think people write him off as being a steak knives part of the Stephenson trade but Atu was one of our targets, like Lachie Young, all last season (and beyond).

Stevo was a surprise so if anything Atu is a value recruit, certainly not something given to us to bolster trade value for the Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back