Past #15: Atu Bosenavulagi - drafted #77 '18 ND by CFC - traded to NM as part of Stepho/BBB deal - 8 NM games/1 NM goal

He reminds me of Isaac Quaynor and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pies felt the same way, hence making him surplus to their requirements.

Not enough talk or something there. Don’t need our own players taking each other out
There was another incident earlier that I noticed where McKay had an intercepting mark covered before he was taken out by another one of our blokes allowing the Geelong player to capitalise. Hopefully they work on communication at training.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There was another incident earlier that I noticed where McKay had an intercepting mark covered before he was taken out by another one of our blokes allowing the Geelong player to capitalise. Hopefully they work on communication at training.
no doubt; I think it was Bonar who spoiled McKay - once they've played 80-90 games together, might be a different story

Great mark but bullshit free kick. Slight nudge and the cats player takes a dive.

But people can’t have a crack at Hayden if they actually payed attention to how soft it was.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its just awesome when you're in a rebuild and a piece of the puzzle may have potentially been resolved. Boy he adds a lot to our defense playing back pocket. Can see him wandering down for 8 to 10 goals a year once he settles into his role
Not hard but Clearly ahead of Kyron & Atley Already 👍

no doubt; I think it was Bonar who spoiled McKay - once they've played 80-90 games together, might be a different story
I thought it was Bonar. Didn't want to single anyone out as I couldn't recall for certainty.
Next few months together should be for these things. Im sure the coaches noticed it too.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great mark but bullshit free kick. Slight nudge and the cats player takes a dive.
That cat went down like he was hit by a high power rifle shot. I thought it must have been at least a 44 Magnum the way he reacted. Nobody fakes a dive like that do they (unless they train for it)?

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was being a smart arse of course. Geelong are one team who play it up more than most. They get rewarded and as you say - they are going to keep doing it.
Yeah I get it. Commentators said nothing. It’s accepted as the norm to overplay all contact these days. Especially on their home deck. Half the time Danger and Selwood more than borderline umpire the game themselves. It’s a joke.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah I get it. Commentators said nothing. It’s accepted as the norm to overplay all contact these days. Especially on their home deck. Half the time Danger and Selwood more than borderline umpire the game themselves. It’s a joke.
Them, and Jack Riewoldt. He pays more frees than Ray Chamberlain.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was being a smart arse of course. Geelong are one team who play it up more than most. They get rewarded and as you say - they are going to keep doing it.
Was it Hawkins that used two hands and shoved Goldstein in the back in a forward ruck contest? Play on, nothing to see there. Wasn’t quite like the rodgering that we got in the Crows game but we do seem to be on the wrong side of the ledger a lot this year!!!!

So many of these kids coming from other clubs look so settled.
Bonar, Atu, Stephenson, etc. I know our track record of developing young talent ain’t the best, but when we get guys across from other clubs North usually has a great way of making them fit and finding their spot.

Atu, Bonar, Mckay, McDonald, Corr like defence is surely settled with Perez to return.
It may be one of the best defences assembled since the 90s IMO

wish Tazz was five years younger :(

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
What is below is a copy and paste from the footyalmanac

Atu Bosenavulagi (North Melbourne)

With North Melbourne having a horrid season to date, even with a valiant effort down at Geelong, one of the bright spots was Atu Bosenavulagi. Bosenavulagi is of Fijian descent, played three games for Collingwood before being involved in the Jayden Stephenson trade, during last year’s trade period. He played his first game for the year with North and looked solid. Picked with the 77th pick in the 2018 draft playing for Boroondara Hawks and Oakleigh Chargers as a junior, Bosenavulagi played in the backline, and anytime Dangerfield went forward, he was the man to mark him up, which is a lot to ask of anybody, especially a fourth game player. A fantastic athlete showing great speed to run down Patrick Dangerfield, who is known for his explosiveness, is a feat which not many players can do. He showed us his quick decision-making ability, by hand or foot, not overcomplicating things; excellent sign in a young player to make the game easier.

Furthermore, Bosenavulagi showed great ability to see the ball coming into the backline and to effectively read and intercept the play. He was a big reason in the early stages of the game, for Geelong’s insufficient entries into the forward 50. Excellent skills to pressure and compete in his one-on-one contests is what helped North Melbourne stay in the game early. Unfortunately, he got medically subbed out with an injury. In summary, Bosenavulagi gathered 16 disposals, with seven intercept possessions and six of those coming early in the match. With North Melbourne going through a complete rebuild, Atu Bosenavulagi seems like a perfect, and he will develop and grow with this young list and become a strong, fast Backman with the ability to defend and rebound.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

With North Melbourne having a horrid season to date, even with a valiant effort down at Geelong, one of the bright spots was Atu Bosenavulagi. Bosenavulagi is of Fijian descent, played three games for Collingwood before being involved in the Jayden Stephenson trade, during last year’s trade period. He played his first game for the year with North and looked solid. Picked with the 77th pick in the 2018 draft playing for Boroondara Hawks and Oakleigh Chargers as a junior, Bosenavulagi played in the backline, and anytime Dangerfield went forward, he was the man to mark him up, which is a lot to ask of anybody, especially a fourth game player. A fantastic athlete showing great speed to run down Patrick Dangerfield, who is known for his explosiveness, is a feat which not many players can do. He showed us his quick decision-making ability, by hand or foot, not overcomplicating things; excellent sign in a young player to make the game easier.

Furthermore, Bosenavulagi showed great ability to see the ball coming into the backline and to effectively read and intercept the play. He was a big reason in the early stages of the game, for Geelong’s insufficient entries into the forward 50. Excellent skills to pressure and compete in his one-on-one contests is what helped North Melbourne stay in the game early. Unfortunately, he got medically subbed out with an injury. In summary, Bosenavulagi gathered 16 disposals, with seven intercept possessions and six of those coming early in the match. With North Melbourne going through a complete rebuild, Atu Bosenavulagi seems like a perfect, and he will develop and grow with this young list and become a strong, fast Backman with the ability to defend and rebound.
I see that Aaron Bonarvulagi had a great game 😬

...seriously though, how do you mix up 3 players that badly??

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The only problem with that review is Bonar took Dangerfield whenever he went forward, not Atu.

Atu swapped onto Rohan when Bonar took Dangerfield and absolutely killed him.

Atu was on Dalhaus for other periods, again, killed him.

Both Bonar and Atu absolutely killed both of their opponents all game, especially given the amount of I50's we were absorbing.

It wasn't until Hayden went to Rohan that Rohan came into the game.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Seeing so many players with pace/athleticism in a North side, I don't think my brain can handle it!

Scanners-head-explosion.gif

Last edited:
Back