Yabby Medal votes: 20

Averages

Kicks: 9.1 per game
Handballs: 7.3 per game
Disposals: 16.4 per game
Marks: 4.5 per game
Tackles: 2.4 per game

Standout

Round 10, 2018 (versus West Coast Eagles): As a whole, the Hawks were outclassed by the eventual premiers down at Etihad Stadium (now Marvel Stadium), but Hardwick could hold his head up high post-match. Hard and tough in the clinches, matching up against the Eagles' small forwards, but also offered the Hawks plenty of drive from defence, with 18 disposals for the game.

Shocker

Semi-Final, 2018 (versus Melbourne): Just 11 disposals for the match and the Demons' small forwards were a constant thorn in Hawthorn's side all night. Not a great way to finish the season but a successful season overall for Hardwick.

Blake Hardwick
Shocker

Semi-Final, 2018 (versus Melbourne): Just 11 disposals for the match and the Demons' small forwards were a constant thorn in Hawthorn's side all night. Not a great way to finish the season but a successful season overall for Hardwick.
Did he have a broken thumb or finger from the week before?

He and sis went to another level this season where burton didn't.

Both have a harder more competitive edge, which I'm sure Clarko loves.

Not only cemented his spot in the best 22 but as his finish in the b&f highlighted, he became one of our most consistent and reliable players.

Even if that is his ceiling, he'll be a 200 game rock of our defense for years to come.

PS. a few on here might owe Davo23 an apology ;)

Last edited:
He and sis went to another level this season where burton didn't.

Both have a harder more competitive edge, which I'm sure Clarko loves.

Not only cemented his spot in the best 22 but as his finish in the b&f highlighted, he became one of our most consistent and reliable players.

Even if that is his ceiling, he'll be a 200 game rock of our defense for years to come.

PS. a few on here might owe Davo23 an apology ;)

Love this kid: tough and hard, despite being from Doncaster.
He makes good decisions, has that “never-give-up” Hawthorn attitude and wears the “15” with pride, despite no one outside the club recognising his class.

He is still only a kid but I think he’ll be great.

Will start to get the attention of commentators, opposition coaches and umpires giving Brownlow votes in 2019.

The questions for me with Hardwick in 2019 are (a) can he perform well in another position?, and (b) can he increase his influence on games?

I guess that will depend a lot on the role he is given. I am a bit pessimistic about seeing an increase in output from Hardwick next year... he feels a lot more fully formed than say Ryan Burton or Morrison.

The other question is whether he can maintain current form.... I don't doubt it.

Mini-Hodge.

Has the mongrel we need and the football ability too.

His kicking is heavily underrated. I thought he went about it in a similar way to Sicily and Burton in 2017 but with half the fanfare, always comfortable with him getting the ball.

His kicking is heavily underrated. I thought he went about it in a similar way to Sicily and Burton in 2017 but with half the fanfare, always comfortable with him getting the ball.
Finds his way out of traffic quite well too.

Love this kid: tough and hard, despite being from Doncaster.
He makes good decisions, has that “never-give-up” Hawthorn attitude and wears the “15” with pride, despite no one outside the club recognising his class.

He is still only a kid but I think he’ll be great.

Hey, simmer down there with the Doncaster related insults, Pal! That's my home turf you're talking about. I actually didn't know that Hardwick originated from Donny. No wonder he's all class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a fantastic year. Over commits a little at times when shutting down the really clever and explosive small forwards, but expect he will learn from that.

Is tough, hard, flies the flag and looks like he'll be a 250 game player.

Love him !!

Really good footballer. Wins contested stuff, uses ball really well, tough.

Challenge for him is whether he can develop more to his game and possibly play midfield (certainly think he has more tools for this than Burton does, whose only real midfield asset was his height) or whether he has a very good career ahead as a very good small defender. Either way, a valuable and highly underrated young player.

Jeepers.....how did they miss Dimma???
Most of them watch less footy than most of us, definitely less Hawks games.

Add to that he played as a small defender and it's not surprising

Jeepers.....how did they miss Dimma???

Shock horror, McGrath gets nod for RS in 2017 ahead of Burton and then gets the nod ahead of Dimma as the small defender in the 22Under22 team in 2018.

AFL desperate to make the Bombers relevant....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back