Player Watch #15 - Ed Langdon #PositiveLingers

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
difference is that they langdon has one of the lowest retention rates from kicks in the comp and hill one of the highest

Nope, man bun discount.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sometimes stats are fine. But you don't understand the sport if you can't see that Hill is a shitload better a kick than Langdon.

At least he’ll bring us some of that desperately needed outside running both ways. He’s a super strong runner and will work defensively.

He’s also 3 or 4 years younger than Hill so hopefully still some improvement to come.

But yes, would have rather taken Hill if he wasn’t double the price.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Langdon has a role to play for us. No one is disputing that. But it should be in a largely defensive capacity.

Needs to go both ways. Yes, we need defensive runners but we also need guys to bust a gut and get into space to provide an option. I'm presuming that's what he does to get that 6 odd marks per game average, so we need that just as much as someone who'll track their man back.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Needs to go both ways. Yes, we need defensive runners but we also need guys to bust a gut and get into space to provide an option. I'm presuming that's what he does to get that 6 odd marks per game average, so we need that just as much as someone who'll track their man back.

We need guys on the outside for when we win contested ball - and we also need wide runners so that we can actually switch the play and not get smashed on the rebound when the opposition switch the play.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’s a great runner but he has a much higher top speed than ANB.

He also gets the ball more..

ANB is actually a very fast runner but its hard to run quickly when you're tripping over your own jaw all the time.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Had a look at his per game averages for 2020:
  • 6th in in the AFL in metres gained
  • 2nd in uncontested possessions. 1st if you don't count Lachie Hunter who has only played two games and benefits from lower sample size
  • 3rd highest time-on-ground percentage amongst midfielders
Credit where it's due, he's doing exactly what we recruited him to do and it creates one less headache for the team. His disposal still needs work but the odd turnover is worth the 'get out of jail' card he provides on so many other occasions.

I rate him, and he has only played 73 games too so there is still time to get better.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
  • 2nd in uncontested possessions. 1st if you don't count Lachie Hunter who has only played two games and benefits from lower sample size
Credit where it's due, he's doing exactly what we recruited him to do and it creates one less headache for the team. His disposal still needs work but the odd turnover is worth the 'get out of jail' card he provides on so many other occasions.

I rate him, and he has only played 73 games too so there is still time to get better.

Yeah i like him too, he does seem to be everywhere.

If he can improve his disposal over the next 12 - 24 months we will have a very handy player on our hands, i don't know if his problem is that he doesn't slow down enough to take his kick or he just has a horrible kicking action.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I honestly thought he was BOG on the weekend. Besides the odd howler with his kicking, and the hope he can start hitting the scoreboard a bit more, I think he's been 10 times better than the overpriced Brad Hill. I was always a fan of Langdon's though, so I might be a little biased, but he's doing exactly what we recruited him for. Giving us run and carry on the outside and creating space. How many times does he find space out on the wing? Under rated IMO..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My name is Sam, I've already lost some representation this period with Frosty leaving so can't say I'm happy to lose a Sam. Still got Weideman though, so it's not all bad. Anyway, I'm happy we've recruited Langdon.
We've got a player with my first name for the first time in our history but there's been 2 recent players with alternative spellings.
He was dropped last week.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Yah look he's done maybe a little better than I gave him credit for and I did ignore my own rule about wingers which is that they always look alot better in a good team.

Lets hold off throwing our knickers at Ed until he backs it up this week. One very good game and four massively underwhelming ones so far.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He reminds me of the guy on your footy team that other teams overlook but you know they're super important.

Gets his 20 touches a week. Pushes back and forward hard. Pretty strong in the contest for a bloke his size. Runs all day and links up well. Kicking isn't excellent but usually weights the ball to advantage but will miss 1-2 passes a game. Durable and still only 24.

Kicked 2 on the weekend and his overlap run along the wings was excellent. Has had other chances to kick goals in previous games and with a little more luck could get his average up to a shade under a goal a game - which would be great from a wing.

Brad Hill is getting paid nearly double Langdon's wage for half the output. Great pickup from the club.

Also realised he's born on the same day as me. Cool.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
He reminds me of the guy on your footy team that other teams overlook but you know they're super important.

Gets his 20 touches a week. Pushes back and forward hard. Pretty strong in the contest for a bloke his size. Runs all day and links up well. Kicking isn't excellent but usually weights the ball to advantage but will miss 1-2 passes a game. Durable and still only 24.

Kicked 2 on the weekend and his overlap run along the wings was excellent. Has had other chances to kick goals in previous games and with a little more luck could get his average up to a shade under a goal a game - which would be great from a wing.

Brad Hill is getting paid nearly double Langdon's wage for half the output. Great pickup from the club.

Sure is an interesting comparison with him and Hill. Hill has double the ability Langdon has but is also probably paid double the amount and is far less reliable, also is three years older. It is easy to hang s**t on Langdons disposal sometimes but he does a ridiculous amount of running off the ball and knows WHERE to run to get it in space (Something unfortunately ANB doesn't do, which is why we have struggled to fill the wing position).

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Hugely important to our side. His running alone and giving us options out wide is what we've desperately needed. Was always a big advocate for this guy getting to us. Hill has been so disappointing for St.Kilda this year and Ed is worth half the cost. Ed needs to hit the scoreboard more for us and has had chances to this year. He's averaging about a shot on goal a game for his career so far, so if he can average close to a goal a game, that would be massive. He's still relatively young as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see him Top 5 in the b&f right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back