Player Watch #15 - Ed Langdon #PositiveLingers

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
He is a good player. A solid player that can play as an outside mid and plays on a forward flank. Has pace. Can tackle well.

My favourite bit about Langdon. Is a good set shot. he kicked the winner vs Collingwood. yeah it was a 2017 preseason game. Skip to the 6 minute and 30 second mark. beautiful kick on an angle too.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
He is a good player. A solid player that can play as an outside mid and plays on a forward flank. Has pace. Can tackle well.

My favourite bit about Langdon. Is a good set shot. he kicked the winner vs Collingwood. yeah it was a 2017 preseason game. Skip to the 6 minute and 30 second mark. beautiful kick on an angle too.

In that collingwood video he had short hair, didn't even recognise him until they said his name.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
He can't pull off the man bun look, let's be honest about that.

Apart from that, good get. Very similar in draft position, age, experience, stats and B&F placings to James Harmes. I'd take another Harmes, he isn't a great kick too.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Interesting that, like Tomlinson, he was also “elite” in marks on those AFL stat profiles. If we went after marking wingers, I think that’s a good thing. Agree that we need a small forward or two on the cheap.
Then add a top 10 pick talent - best available.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Interesting that, like Tomlinson, he was also “elite” in marks on those AFL stat profiles. If we went after marking wingers, I think that’s a good thing. Agree that we need a small forward or two on the cheap.
Then add a top 10 pick talent - best available.

I noticed that too, i think it's because they run so hard into open space, exactly the type of players we need.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Congrats on getting Ed. Great player, very quick, can run all day and very durable.
Only downside is his kicking on the run, high ball drop makes high loopy kicks so he'll frustrate you in that regard.
Will be missed by the club though, he's ready to play his best footy..

Excellent, should be handy for us once we wash the Fremantle off.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Congrats on getting Ed. Great player, very quick, can run all day and very durable.
Only downside is his kicking on the run, high ball drop makes high loopy kicks so he'll frustrate you in that regard.
Will be missed by the club though, he's ready to play his best footy..
Man, it sucks to put in 5 years of building a player up just to watch him leave. We've been on the end of that several times. After finding out we were keen on him this off season, I watched him closely the last month or so of footy, and I feel he is very under rated. Can find the footy due to gut running and pace which is exactly what we need. His kicks can be a little floaty, but he's proven to be able to slot a couple of goals as well, which again, we desperately need some mids to hit the scoreboard. Coming into his prime too, so I feel we got a bargain here. Hopefully Hogan can get over his injuries and be that player we all know he can be for you blokes. Just as long as he doesn't do it against us!

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
What - then stain him with Melbourne?

Are you suggesting our training and development is somehow flawed? I'd love to hear you try to explain that one away.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Man, it sucks to put in 5 years of building a player up just to watch him leave. We've been on the end of that several times. After finding out we were keen on him this off season, I watched him closely the last month or so of footy, and I feel he is very under rated. Can find the footy due to gut running and pace which is exactly what we need. His kicks can be a little floaty, but he's proven to be able to slot a couple of goals as well, which again, we desperately need some mids to hit the scoreboard. Coming into his prime too, so I feel we got a bargain here. Hopefully Hogan can get over his injuries and be that player we all know he can be for you blokes. Just as long as he doesn't do it against us!
I was hoping freo could of held on to him for 3 more seasons and he leaves as a free agent.

But it wasnt meant to be.

Amazed he was taken at pick 54 in the 2014 draft. So he wasnt rated highly in his draft year. I am happy freo got something back.

Like Lachie Neale, I got no animosity towards Ed Langdon and like Neale at Brisbane, I wish him the best.

He will be a solid player at the demons.

cougar000

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
In a house
AFL Club
Melbourne
This interesting

Attachments

• 30311A86-9BA7-4EEB-BE48-06499CD321CF.png
    30311A86-9BA7-4EEB-BE48-06499CD321CF.png
    623.9 KB · Views: 324

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Disposal efficiency? Clangers? Goals?
  • Langdon: 70.2%, 2.3 clangers, 0.4 goals, 4.4 score involvements, 1 bounce
  • Hill: 66.7% DE, 3.2 clangers, 0.3 goals, 6 score involvements, 0.5 bounces

If Langdon played for us this year, he'd be in the ninth for score involvements, second for bounces, and equal 22nd for clangers. Stats aren't everything, but on paper he is clearly filling blanks for us.

Back