Player Watch #15 - Ed Langdon #PositiveLingers

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Love him. He is everywhere when you watch live, but always outside and part of rebound 50 chains.

I reckon (hope) he and the team are more aware of his limitations and he either isn't kicking at the end of chains or if he does kick its very safe. Still looks s**t but it rarely causes a killer turnover if it isn't hitting people on the tit.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Love him. He is everywhere when you watch live, but always outside and part of rebound 50 chains.

I reckon (hope) he and the team are more aware of his limitations and he either isn't kicking at the end of chains or if he does kick its very safe. Still looks sh*t but it rarely causes a killer turnover if it isn't hitting people on the tit.

I actually hate that he always kicks inside 50 when he always plays on the wrong wing for his foot. He's always on the left side of the attack.

I get people are high on him but I still think he needs to improve for us to be a top 4 side. His disposal and decision making is horrific

I actually hate that he always kicks inside 50 when he always plays on the wrong wing for his foot. He's always on the left side of the attack.

I get people are high on him but I still think he needs to improve for us to be a top 4 side. His disposal and decision making is horrific

Think he was playing a defensive role on Hill on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
unpopular opinion - I wonder if we got rid of Billy Stretch prematurely. Reckon he would be serviceable on the other wing right now.

Back on topic - Langdon is a goddam jet, and his kicking is not as bad as people make out.

unpopular opinion - I wonder if we got rid of Billy Stretch prematurely. Reckon he would be serviceable on the other wing right now.

Back on topic - Langdon is a goddam jet, and his kicking is not as bad as people make out.

No, yuck.

Maybe, but he'd been bog average for 18 months before his delisting and I doubt would've suddenly reversed that last year.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
His kicking technique looks horrible, he gets little penetration on the kicks, isn't especially good at weighting it to a lead BUT I think he understands his limitations well and often executes the kick to advantage. Has hit quite a few smart kicks on the 45 through the zone.

A player that overrates their ability and turns the ball over in dangerous parts of the ground too often is a much worse player for the team. Tmac kicking out of defense was this player (good thing he's a terrific kick at goal)

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't care if I'm on me pat Malone Here. His disposal is ******* horrible.
I don't think there are too many over the last 20 years who have been wingmen with the complete package though to his credit. And I can't recall us having one that comes close, maybe Travis Johnstone was the closest but Ed is arguably turning into the best wingman we've had at the club since maybe Tingay? Struggling to find another one..

Ed's disposal efficiency has been solid so far this season. I think what he is doing well so far this season is that he is looking for a short option to get it into the hands of a better user. Last season he had more metres gained (2nd highest among wingmen) as he was kicking blindly long into the F50 and turning it over consistently. Doing it much less so far this season tbf. I think that's smart. Yeah, he'll never be a bullet passer into the F50. What we got him for was to be that elite runner on the wing that will literally run all day and be an outlet wide (he literally spends 99% of tog on the wing and rarely needs a rest) when needed and he's done that wonderfully so far with 16 marks in 2 games, which shows he is providing an option out wide and we are looking for him. 22 possession average at a disposal efficiency of around 80% with a goal in each game. If he can keep that consistency throughout the season, I think you'd be a very hard man to say that's not better than great.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't care if I'm on me pat Malone Here. His disposal is ******* horrible.

Don't think anyone disagrees but there is a lot more good than bad that comes with him. If we can get someone who is an elite user on the opposite wing *cough* SALEM *cough* we'd be a much better side for it. Reckon Langdon would be the best winger in the AFL defensively, think about how often you see him helping mop up in D50.

Don't think anyone disagrees but there is a lot more good than bad that comes with him. If we can get someone who is an elite user on the opposite wing *cough* SALEM *cough* we'd be a much better side for it. Reckon Langdon would be the best winger in the AFL defensively, think about how often you see him helping mop up in D50.
Josh Kelly

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are four key stats I reckon that Langdon should be measured by - 2 offensive and 2 defensive.

1. Pressure acts - If our midfield is pressuring the opposition then it will force long, dump kicks that Mayverson and Gawn will feast on all day.
2. Forced turnovers - Building on the pressure acts, if Langdon can actually force a turnover higher up the ground that's going to generate a lot of scoring opportunities for us.

3. Net effective metres gained - This one's a bit tricky to determine, but it's the sum of Langdon's effective metres gained (metres gained without turning the ball over) and his assisted metres gained (metres gained by the player to whom Langdon passes the ball).
4. Scoring involvements - Ultimately we want our wingers aiding the quick transition from d50 to attack and generating good scoring opportunities for our forwards, or even pushing forward themselves and hitting the scoreboard.

The two offensive stats don't require him to be an amazing kick, just to find a target that can advance the ball. It's his ability to run all day, find space and link up that will matter the most.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This is the part I don't get about this board, on bad Oliver disposal day he's the same as a good Langdon day. We say Oliver is s**t but Langdon is a hero.

This is the part I don't get about this board, on bad Oliver disposal day he's the same as a good Langdon day. We say Oliver is sh*t but Langdon is a hero.

What so hard to understand? People generally don't like criticising Melbourne players.

I enjoy it coz I'm a negative bastard. That's why I'm one of the boards black sheep :(

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the part I don't get about this board, on bad Oliver disposal day he's the same as a good Langdon day. We say Oliver is sh*t but Langdon is a hero.
For the most part I think people are talking in relative terms. Langdon is a hero because he gets the most out of his skills and assets. People want Oliver to be a superstar so the bar is set much higher.

Saying that, I've never said Oliver is s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back