My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited by a moderator:

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Usually injury prone but from all reports has been injury free and flying this pre-season.
Still only 23 - maybe 2020 could be a breakout year for him as a mid sized forward - just needs to fix his kicking but it may be a confidence thing...

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Usually injury prone but from all reports has been injury free and flying this pre-season.
Still only 23 - maybe 2020 could be a breakout year for him as a mid sized forward - just needs to fix his kicking but it may be a confidence thing...

His last chance with us I think, and yep he's had his 1st full pre season, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
He's going to get his chance you'd think with Joe & James.Stewart both set for extended stints on the sidelines, and Hooker apparently not ready for round 1...
Just hope he can convert his good work in holding his feet and contesting into goals and kick 1 or 2 a game

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always been a fan of Laverde simply because he not only has the talent, but also the competitive drive to compete even in unfavourable positions. His second efforts were the source of many goal assists last year, including the famed Walla goal against North.

My biggest concern with him is that the most crucial years of his development were hampered by injury (eg Myers).
I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't really see him being anything more than a solid role player at AFL level. Then again, every best 22 has solid role players.

He was generating enough shots on goal and score assists to be considered valuable in the side last year. His kicking for goal needs to improve for him to have a chance.

With Stewart and Daniher out, this is his chance. Let's hope he grabs it with both hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He looks very fit, probably as thick as he has ever been but he's shredded.

Reviews on Blitz said he kicked 3.3 (hit post twice) and took 4 or 5 contested marks and was sharp at ground level defensively.

It's an encouraging start. Clean, one-take contested marks would be an improvement.

A few of his set shots in the highlights looked a bit more fluent. He missed at least one easy shot (the individual highlight contested grab).

Sounds like he's checked off the first few boxes to make the most of this opportunity.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not overly excited to be honest he won’t have that size and strength advantage over AFL players as a marking forward. Want to see him given some of the Stringer centre bounces as he could be a weapon with his size there.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Not overly excited to be honest he won’t have that size and strength advantage over AFL players as a marking forward. Want to see him given some of the Stringer centre bounces as he could be a weapon with his size there.
He has never had a problem with size/strength. His main problem has been injury. Last year his problem was goal kicking inaccuracy. If he stays fit and kicks straight he could end up the player we've all hoped for.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
A 50% strike rate yesterday suggests more of the same from Laverde. The most pleasing comments about his game yesterday were those about his contested marking. He is fierce at the contest. I hope he gets selected for Marsh 1 this week. Would really like to see how he fares alongside Stringer and McKernan.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Laverde has always looked like a God against VFL competition, its the step up to play AFL standard athletes and bodies that he has struggled to cope with.

I'm pleased to hear good reviews, but lets wait to see how he goes vs AFL grade competition against WCE and Geelong.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Laverde has always looked like a God against VFL competition, its the step up to play AFL standard athletes and bodies that he has struggled to cope with.

I'm pleased to hear good reviews, but lets wait to see how he goes vs AFL grade competition against WCE and Geelong.

It's not that either IMO, He's never been "too weak" or "too small" to compete, it's always been his fitness, seems as he's ticked the fitness box this pre season, hopefully it translates to on field performance.

One to watch this season for sure.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not that either IMO, He's never been "too weak" or "too small" to compete, it's always been his fitness, seems as he's ticked the fitness box this pre season, hopefully it translates to on field performance.

One to watch this season for sure.

He always does good things at AFL that shows his size and strength still holds up, just hasn't been able to do them consistently enough and drifts in and out of games. Thought he was decent in our EF smashing as the only real forward marking target we had.

If he can get up to ~ 15 disposals, ~ 5 marks and ~ 1.5 goals along with forcing a contest in the air to bring the smalls in that's probably about where we need him to be (That's basically his game against North Melbourne last year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back