AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

15 - laverde.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 7, Nuggs Bunny

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched the replay a couple of times I think it was one of the better games he has played. Sure he looked a bit inept one on one a few times but in general he read the ball pretty well and he was bloody good in the back end of the zone when we have the ball inside 50.

Having watched the replay a couple of times I think it was one of the better games he has played. Sure he looked a bit inept one on one a few times but in general he read the ball pretty well and he was bloody good in the back end of the zone when we have the ball inside 50.

That's good to hear. It'd be great to see this guy reinvent himself and become a good consistent player for us.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Do you mind elaborating on what you mean by being good in the back end of the zone?

I want to try to understand more of the specifics of what is required/expected of players in the zone.

Thanks in advance.

Do you mind elaborating on what you mean by being good in the back end of the zone?

I want to try to understand more of the specifics of what is required/expected of players in the zone.

Thanks in advance.
Read which way the play was going and intercepted/ spoiled a few times when Geelong looked to get out of defence. There was no daydreaming. He was always in the right position to pick up the outlet player or the players intercept.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks solid as a defender. Probably not equipped to the Hawkins type match up. Maybe more the Cameron type mobile match ups.

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
Weird thing to mention about Laverde, but he's got an innate ability to get a handball out to a target when he has no right to. The one to Tippa for the game winner vs. North is the stand out obviously.
If he gets his body right, I'd love to see him as an inside mid, as good as he's looked as a defender.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Weird thing to mention about Laverde, but he's got an innate ability to get a handball out to a target when he has no right to. The one to Tippa for the game winner vs. North is the stand out obviously.
If he gets his body right, I'd love to see him as an inside mid, as good as he's looked as a defender.

He's got the aggression and strength to stand up in tackles, he does it semi-regularly. Just don't think we'll ever see him with the tank to play genuine midfield, and hasn't shown the nous to accumulate and follow the play you'd want from a midfielder.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

I can't work out whether he brings it on himself because he is David Myers level by hand or whether because he doesn't ever seem to hold the ball in front of him when he gives the hands off. It's always like he's trying to handball the ball off his stomach (like the old fashioned warm up drill).

No doubt he can stand up in a tackle, though.

It's still going to take a lot of getting used to seeing him in defence.

Seems to play better without the big sticks in front on him.

don't mind him in the backs.

Not even close. Played well whenever there was pressure from the middle. Their mids had all the time in the world to burn him.
How about the two times he couldn't punch it through and Hawthorne goaled in the third? Playing against the man mountain that is Dylan Moore, all 174cm of him...

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
How about the two times he couldn't punch it through and Hawthorne goaled in the third? Playing against the man mountain that is Dylan Moore, all 174cm of him...

He made some errors under pressure, prefer errors with effort than what our mids did in the second half.

He made some errors under pressure, prefer errors with effort than what our mids did in the second half.
Sorry but he had 6 inches on the bloke and couldn't kill the contest. Twice.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins

Pick your battles Eth, this is not one of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

s**t happens when the ball flies in fast. Problem stems from the middle. The amount of times they had loose men goal side of the midfield contest was hilarious. He got burnt because he has to stand half way between two blokes cause they have the outnumber and a defender has to leave his man to roll up.

Back