AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

15 - laverde.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 7, Nuggs Bunny

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but he had 6 inches on the bloke and couldn't kill the contest. Twice.
We're kinda reaching if we're blaming Laverde for goals kicked by players that he wasn't even responsible for. I don't know what other goal more kicked but the one on the goal line was after Laverde pushed O'Brien under the ball. Hind was playing on Moore.

We're kinda reaching if we're blaming Laverde for goals kicked by players that he wasn't even responsible for. I don't know what other goal more kicked but the one on the goal line was after Laverde pushed O'Brien under the ball. Hind was playing on Moore.
My apologies, one of them was when Redman failed to kill it. Moore kicked one when Laverde couldn't punch the ball through and someone else again when he couldn't kill the contest (which was the middle one)

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Laverde was far from the issue tonight. Considering it's his first game as a backman I thought he was good.

This. Never played back in his life, not the guy to be laying the blame on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
All things considered, he was one of our better defenders. I liked his effort and desperation, especially late in the game. One of the few that continued to work hard in the second half. Obviously has some things to work on like killing the ball and taking more intercept marks, but his defensive positioning was sound.

I was sceptical at first, but I think he's found his position at AFL level.

Last edited:
How about the two times he couldn't punch it through and Hawthorne goaled in the third? Playing against the man mountain that is Dylan Moore, all 174cm of him...
Was that before or after Francis just about knocked the stuffing out of him while trying to kill the ball?

The trainers all ran to him and he eventually got up, waved them away and then wondered around really gingerly for the next while, holding his arm..

Was that before or after Francis just about knocked the stuffing out of him while trying to kill the ball?

The trainers all ran to him and he eventually got up, waved them away and then wondered around really gingerly for the next while, holding his arm..
Well after. Like 10 minutes after.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Reading the reviews, I was expecting to see the game I feared when first getting my head around Laverde the defender but eth-dog is too prepared to die on any hill.

The errors are with Hind and Redman who were not picking up opponents/not properly handing over.

Even the shank from Hanrahan, an error because Laverde should have been concentrating, was one of those things that just happens to defenders.

I agree that he should be spoiling the ball over the line and killing the contest. I see no reason that can't be sorted with 32 seconds of instruction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here_we_come

All Australian
Nov 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
This guy is just a very ordinary player. Been in the system now for 7 or so years and is still a fringe player who doesn’t have much to contribute. Give him this year and if he offers nothing then move him on.

He was pretty good today all things considered.

Looks a natural in the back half, it’s pretty bizarre.

Has the frame, the strength overhead and the courage in the air to play above his height, to the point where he could basically play as a genuine Centre Half Back in a side where defenders weren’t getting torched.

Plays the percentages with ball in hand as well.

Last edited:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks a natural, it’s pretty bizarre.

Has the frame, the strength overhead and the courage in the air to play above his height, to the point where he could basically play as a genuine Centre Half Back in a side where defenders weren’t getting torched.

Agreed.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Looks a natural, it’s pretty bizarre.

Always has, really - he's just either been broken, working back from broken, playing as a makeshift Centre Half Forward and/or in a side where forwards are getting torched.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Didn't get to see a lot of the game so these posts are really encouraging. I have questions;
Was he taking intercept marks or spoiling more?
Did he provide much rebound?
I wished that he'd watched a bit of Darcy Moore. It'd be great if he turned out as that type.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Cannot wait to see this bloke as the 3rd tall he should be... Stewart and Ambrose taking the key forwards, with Ridley and Lav intercepting has a lot of potential for mine (the group will need some time to work together though).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back