Remove this Banner Ad

In: McKenna

Out: Laverde

Forward line:

McKenna McKernan Townsend
Tippa Stringer Smith

Solved.

This is the forward line I want to see. Rekon the pressure would be fantastic

Best he stays in and plays the lead up role. He may not make it but he can follow instructions and keeps us with some sort of forward structure (Smac as a deeper marking option).

Edit; if it was my choice i'd replace him with Langford and and bring in Merrett for Ham, Mckenna for Zaka and play Hibberd in the middle. If we were keen to keep Ham then Fantasia on current output would go.

Last edited:

Really didn't think he was as bad last night as what's been implied so far. Seemed to break even and get the ball to ground in most marking contests he was in which undoubtedly worked to our advantage.

Judgement on his two "horrible" kicks to Stringer too is a bit harsh, particularly the first one which was by no means an easy kick. If he didn't rush that kick over Moore's head, Collingwood would have easily gotten back behind the ball there and we would have again been kicking to a congested forward line. BT knows * all about football if he thinks that was horrible.

Really didn't think he was as bad last night as what's been implied so far. Seemed to break even and get the ball to ground in most marking contests he was in which undoubtedly worked to our advantage.

Judgement on his two "horrible" kicks to Stringer too is a bit harsh, particularly the first one which was by no means an easy kick. If he didn't rush that kick over Moore's head, Collingwood would have easily gotten back behind the ball there and we would have again been kicking to a congested forward line. BT knows fu** all about football if he thinks that was horrible.

BT just got that call wrong.

If you look at the replay he didn't have the angle to hit Stringer directly. It was actually a well executed kick because he needed to hold the kick up to get it to Stringer.

The second one was no good.

Judgement on his two "horrible" kicks to Stringer too is a bit harsh, particularly the first one which was by no means an easy kick. If he didn't rush that kick over Moore's head, Collingwood would have easily gotten back behind the ball there and we would have again been kicking to a congested forward line. BT knows fu** all about football if he thinks that was horrible.
There was a shocking missed handball as well. Just does not seem to be able to pt it together at AFL level.

BT just got that call wrong.

If you look at the replay he didn't have the angle to hit Stringer directly. It was actually a well executed kick because he needed to hold the kick up to get it to Stringer.

The second one was no good.
Let’s be honest it was a shocking kick, he tried to rush and got under it. Varcoe ran past him as he kicked almost got there in time to mark it.

First AFL game in ten months, pretty harsh if we’re dropping him. It’d be a miracle if he didn’t look a mile off it. Happy for him to get a few games.
He played round 1?

Let’s be honest it was a shocking kick, he tried to rush and got under it. Varcoe ran past him as he kicked almost got there in time to mark it.
Screenshot_20200704-135837_AFL.jpg

He was well past when he kicked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to pile on the bloke for a couple of poor kicks.

However, this has been a concern of his from early doors and it still shows.

I hope he takes these next few weeks and really shows us some of what got us excited about him early on.

Just felt every time he was involved, something bad happened for us

Have stayed hopeful, but I think he’s just not cut out for the top level.

Very ordinary game with quite a few mare's. Don't think he has what it takes tbh.

Some shockers disposal wise, however, he does present and create a contest. I think he is one that needs some consistent exposure and then should improve. If he’s still as scratchy as Fri night after a couple more games then he’s out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only things I'd say is that, please, for the love of god, free him to play as a genuine half forward.

Give him a space between 40m from goal and wing and leave him to patrol. That's his go and always has been. On return from injury against Melbourne in 2018 he got 21 possessions playing as a half forward in a side with a forward structure. I don't understand the fascination with taking a mid-sized player and negating the competitive advantage he has by asking him to play a key position (against bigger, stronger guys).

His field kicking is generally really good. While he kicks the ball with too much back spin, compared to the classically great kick, he generally kicks it accurately and positioned/weighted to the advantage of forwards.

He can get 15 to 20 touches with a goal and a few goal assists in any given game, he just needs to be freed up. The reason you do that is because there is still a powerhouse player in him somewhere, it's the kid taking contested marks on Alex Rance, getting 8 possession in the first quarter against the Cats or the round 23 performance against Port. He's dying, on life support but he's still in there and we could throw him a bone by helping him get his hands on the ball to get a bit of confidence.

He could do what Snelling does with little difficulty. Snelling will never be more than he is (which is a functional AFL player). Laverde could have been anything.

Last edited:
Sounds like there's plenty of agreement here that this is Jayden's crossroads. I'm in the 'needs a consistent run at it' camp, but he's been around long enough to have developed and nailed a best 22 spot. That he remains on the fringe is frustrating but again possibly plays into the discussion of how well we actually develop our players.

I hope we get the Laverde who was hitting the contest hard last year.

The only things I'd say is that, please, for the love of god, free him to play as a genuine half forward.

Give him a space between 40m from goal and wing and leave him to patrol. That's his go and always has been. I don't understand the fascination with taking a mid-sized player and negating the competitive advantage he has by asking him to play a key position (against bigger, stronger guys).

His field kicking is generally really good. While he kicks the ball with too much back spin, compared to the classically great kick, he generally kicks it accurately and positioned/weighted to the advantage of forwards.

He can get 15 to 20 touches with a goal and a few goal assists in any given game, he just needs to be freed up. The reason you do that is because there is still a powerhouse player in him somewhere, it's the kid taking contested marks on Alex Rance, getting 8 possession in the first quarter against the Cats or the round 23 performance against Port . He's dying, on life support but he's still in there we could throw him a bone by helping him get his hands on the ball to get a bit of confidence.
Yes, turning and passing from HF is what seems natural to him. He has some pace and agility there as well.

Sounds like there's plenty of agreement here that this is Jayden's crossroads. I'm in the 'needs a consistent run at it' camp, but he's been around long enough to have developed and nailed a best 22 spot. That he remains on the fringe is frustrating but again possibly plays into the discussion of how well we actually develop our players.

I hope we get the Laverde who was hitting the contest hard last year.
BrunoV is spot on. For most his time with us, he's basically been treated as a KPP, which is mismanaging his development as a player. With Stringer out, we need to commit to giving him all games Stringer misses unless he is diabolically bad. It's hard to lock up a spot in the 22 when he's used as KPP depth, which isn't his go.

Imagine him playing alongside Daniher, Stringer and Mckernan as a HF? His field kicking is good enough and he's competitive enough at ground level for a spot at HF. He is strong in forward half contests, but that's not where he does his best work. I'm sick of seeing him battle a couple of strong defenders every game.

BrunoV is spot on. For most his time with us, he's basically been treated as a KPP, which is mismanaging his development as a player. With Stringer out, we need to commit to giving him all games Stringer misses unless he is diabolically bad. It's hard to lock up a spot in the 22 when he's used as KPP depth, which isn't his go.

Imagine him playing alongside Daniher, Stringer and Mckernan as a HF? His field kicking is good enough and he's competitive enough at ground level for a spot at HF. He is strong in forward half contests, but that's not where he does his best work. I'm sick of seeing him battle a couple of strong defenders every game.

He would be great in a side with at least 2 other genuine talls but it almost certainly wont happen. He's going to need to break out before Daniher is fit otherwise he's basically cooked. Hell, Stewart might put the nail in the coffin in the next few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back