AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing deep and taking the 1st or 2nd key defender isn't his thing. I think his ceiling probably caps out at around a goal and a goal assist a game player, who can hopefully throw his weight around at stoppages in the forward half. Which would make him a solid role player, and the type of player you need in your bottom 4. But I think a lot has to go right for him to even get to that level.

Playing deep and taking the 1st or 2nd key defender isn't his thing. I think his ceiling probably caps out at around a goal and a goal assist a game player, who can hopefully throw his weight around at stoppages in the forward half. Which would make him a solid role player, and the type of player you need in your bottom 4. But I think a lot has to go right for him to even get to that level.

This

2020 is a boom or bust year for Jayden. Either makes it and plays 15+ games at AFL level or he is delisted post 2020.

Knowing Essendon though, we'll likely hold him for 3 more years.

If he improved his set shots and execution he’d be a handy player.

He just lets the team down in these key moments which is a damn shame.

He'd be quite low in the pecking order of Forwards that are currently on our list.

Feel like it's been murphys law with this kid - the club has played him out of position and he hasn't been able to get his body right.

Would have been interesting to see him get a crack as a HFF, Wing or even off HB, but doubt he'll get the opportunity.

He'd be quite low in the pecking order of Forwards that are currently on our list.

Feel like it's been murphys law with this kid - the club has played him out of position and he hasn't been able to get his body right.

Would have been interesting to see him get a crack as a HFF, Wing or even off HB, but doubt he'll get the opportunity.

Laverde at HB??!!! Now I really have heard everything.

Obviously needs a huge preseason. Also needs to overhaul his game significantly. Drifts out of games a lot would suggest a lack of fitness. Doesn’t convert opportunities and is injury prone. I would say he has one more year on our list, and in the AFL.

Obviously needs a huge preseason. Also needs to overhaul his game significantly. Drifts out of games a lot would suggest a lack of fitness. Doesn’t convert opportunities and is injury prone. I would say he has one more year on our list, and in the AFL.

i agree with much what your saying, but geesh I compare him to someone like Jake Long and the time he has had to prove himself. If he has another typical Laverde year he will be de-listed but I wouldn't be surprised if some team rookie listed him.

Over the years there always seems to be a player or two that bobs up you 'hope' comes good. They never do for some reason or other. (Pears, Leroy Jetta to name a few)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree with much what your saying, but geesh I compare him to someone like Jake Long and the time he has had to prove himself. If he has another typical Laverde year he will be de-listed but I wouldn't be surprised if some team rookie listed him.

Over the years there always seems to be a player or two that bobs up you 'hope' comes good. They never do for some reason or other. (Pears, Leroy Jetta to name a few)
? Laverde heading into his 6th season next year. Long most likely delisted after 4 seasons.

He played that role multiple times for Western Jets prior to being drafted.

Whilst I wasn't aware of that - I don't know why on earth we'd play a bloke with some of the worst foot skills on our list in the most skillful position.

Plus he was drafted a long time ago, its not overly relevant now. Not sure if he has snuck in some VFL games down back but I can only recall him playing forward or midfield.

Whilst I wasn't aware of that - I don't know why on earth we'd play a bloke with some of the worst foot skills on our list in the most skillful position.

Plus he was drafted a long time ago, its not overly relevant now. Not sure if he has snuck in some VFL games down back but I can only recall him playing forward or midfield.
Yeah I agree. I was saying earlier that it just seems a shame we didn't get to see more of him due to injuries and felt like we played him out of pos.

Laverde was offered for trade and nothing happened - That tells you enough.

Same thing happened to Steve Johnson before he came good. Clubs don't know everything and hopefully Laverde can use the slight as motivation.

Paraphrasing Paul Cousins, he said something on the Sash podcast midyear about how the club has been careful to maintain Stringer and Laverde's explosive power base at the expense of building bigger tanks. I'm not sure I'd agree with that philosophy especially in Lavs case.

On last legs at Bomberland I imagine.

We hear the 'been putting in work's for 10 different guys every year. He has some great tools, however the best ability is availability as the old saying goes.
And he, quite simply, has never been available enough for long enough to make a go of it.

Ironically this could be his best bet. The first 5 slots in the forward line is set with Smack, Daniher, Walla, Fantasia and Stringer - who that 6th forward is i have no idea.

With Daniher back, the role probably wont involve being chained to the goal square like a mangy dog like Laverde was at points last year. Ideally it will be a competition between Laverde, Brown, Langford and Begley for that 6th forward that can get up the ground and be involved in transition back the other way. This role would likely suit Laverde's size and power well against smaller opponents pushing back to goal.

But as I said before, Lav has had plenty of chances, and hasn't taken been them yet, either through form or fitness. It's year 6 Jayden, now or never mate.

Inb4 people say Smith or Snelling for the 6th forward spot - that is the 7th forward/midfield rotation role for mine of which Smith, fitness permitting, is a lock.

On last legs at Bomberland I imagine.

We hear the 'been putting in work's for 10 different guys every year. He has some great tools, however the best ability is availability as the old saying goes.
And he, quite simply, has never been available enough for long enough to make a go of it.

Ironically this could be his best bet. The first 5 slots in the forward line is set with Smack, Daniher, Walla, Fantasia and Stringer - who that 6th forward is i have no idea.

With Daniher back, the role probably wont involve being chained to the goal square like a mangy dog like Laverde was at points last year. Ideally it will be a competition between Laverde, Brown, Langford and Begley for that 6th forward that can get up the ground and be involved in transition back the other way. This role would likely suit Laverde's size and power well against smaller opponents pushing back to goal.

But as I said before, Lav has had plenty of chances, and hasn't taken been them yet, either through form or fitness. It's year 6 Jayden, now or never mate.

Inb4 people say Smith or Snelling for the 6th forward spot - that is the 7th forward/midfield rotation role for mine of which Smith, fitness permitting, is a lock.

Laverde is a (very) poor mans DeGoey or Stringer in my opinion. Plays with aggression and has the strength to stand up in a tackle, if his finishing had been better then we'd be speaking about his potential for 2020 much differently.

1.1 Goals + 1.3 Behinds a game means 2.4 scoring shots, plus 0.7 Goal Assists and 1.8 i50's means he's not a poor forward half player, add 3.9 marks per game. There's a lot to work with in terms of raw potential, but at this point I'd say he either has a proper pre-season and makes a real go of 2020 or his contract won't be renewed.

If he can make the most of his scoring shots (get up to 66% or so instead of < 50% for example) and provide more impact around forward half stoppages then he can be a good 18 - 22 type player for the team.

Laverde is a (very) poor mans DeGoey or Stringer in my opinion. Plays with aggression and has the strength to stand up in a tackle, if his finishing had been better then we'd be speaking about his potential for 2020 much differently.

1.1 Goals + 1.3 Behinds a game means 2.4 scoring shots, plus 0.7 Goal Assists and 1.8 i50's means he's not a poor forward half player, add 3.9 marks per game. There's a lot to work with in terms of raw potential, but at this point I'd say he either has a proper pre-season and makes a real go of 2020 or his contract won't be renewed.

If he can make the most of his scoring shots (get up to 66% or so instead of < 50% for example) and provide more impact around forward half stoppages then he can be a good 18 - 22 type player for the team.
The bolded is why he's on his last chance. How many seasons can a club carry a player on ifs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back