AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Langford is miles ahead of Laverde in every facet bar intensity.

Laverde, as with Begley, are VFL standard players.

I would argue Laverde has the intensity you would expect from an AFL footballer.

His problems is that he doesn't do anything to indicate that he has the game nous to use it effectively, nor the tank to use it for long enough.

Hence, he can't get near the footy

Love how the 2 L’s were drafted 2 spots apart and have had such parallel in-out careers filled with a few high points and massive underachievement.

The debate over the last pages was pretty well summed up by a couple of people who essentially said “they’re both pretty average”. You really can’t argue with that, regardless of who you prefer.

My theory is that one needs to go so the other can thrive. They’re like Siamese twins with different fathers. Bad juju. We need to split them and disrupt whatever weird self limiting forces they’re exerting on each other. I’d suggest a fight to the death but a fight to the delist is probably a more suitable option.

Biggest problem before this year was always his body failing him which also robbed him any oppurtunity to build a tank. Then this year which was probably his best injury wise, he got the yips. If he can actually complete a pre season, play a full year and then start kicking straight, he can earn a new deal. If it doesnt click next year though i think even he would be aware he's probably gone.

Love how the 2 L’s were drafted 2 spots apart and have had such parallel in-out careers filled with a few high points and massive underachievement.

The debate over the last pages was pretty well summed up by a couple of people who essentially said “they’re both pretty average”. You really can’t argue with that, regardless of who you prefer.

My theory is that one needs to go so the other can thrive. They’re like Siamese twins with different fathers. Bad juju. We need to split them and disrupt whatever weird self limiting forces they’re exerting on each other. I’d suggest a fight to the death but a fight to the delist is probably a more suitable option.
That is messing with my OCD for improper use of genetics.

Luckily, I do love a good argument over which s**t player is better.

That is messing with my OCD for improper use of genetics.

Luckily, I do love a good argument over which s**t player is better.
The world is a strange place yet still not big enough for them both. I’d keep Langford personally.

If only we could splice their DNA and create a good finisher with some spark and a big Jobe arse.

Langford is actually the lazier player between the two. He literally gives up and stops chasing. Laverde at least tries, but simply doesn’t have the tank.
Wait, you're joking right? Laverde is lazy as hell.
Mate, these posts are the reason people come at you.
So? I'm sick of Laverde getting a free pass.
Who would you say is lazier?
Has he had an injury free pre-season?
Last year
He said: EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

lol
Because he is.

Finds more of the ball, a better kick both in play and for goal, more inside 50's, tackles per game. They have the same average marks though.

But yeah, Laverde is clearly superior in... No categories. Oh, look at that.

Last year

Because he is.

Finds more of the ball, a better kick both in play and for goal, more inside 50's, tackles per game. They have the same average marks though.

You forgot Dolph Lundgren look alike abilities...

Last year

Because he is.

Please tell me where anyone said Laverde is the superior player? Who is giving him a free pass?

All we’re saying is that Laverde plays with more intensity and strength. Langford is lazier than Laverde. It’s literally laconic Langford’s biggest weakness. Otherwise, he’d be a decent player. It’s either he’s lazy or Langford doesn’t have the ability to impact contests. Which one is it?

The only thing Laverde has going for him is his ability in the contest and intensity. But of course you want to exaggerate by saying Langford is better in every single aspect of everything he does, which simply isn’t true.

I doubt anyone would dispute Langford > Laverde based on output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please tell me where anyone said Laverde is the superior player? Who is giving him a free pass?

All we’re saying is that Laverde plays with more intensity and strength. Langford is lazier than Laverde. It’s literally laconic Langford’s biggest weakness. Otherwise, he’d be a decent player. It’s either he’s lazy or Langford doesn’t have the ability to impact contests. Which one is it?

The only thing Laverde has going for him is his ability in the contest and intensity. But of course you want to exaggerate by saying Langford is better in every single aspect of everything he does, which simply isn’t true.

I doubt anyone would dispute Langford > Laverde based on output.
Laverde is one of the laziest players on our list.

yet both were played in the seniors. An indictment on our list if anything

Well we had a lot of injuries. We don't really have that many quality forwards either. Laverde wasn't consistently a first choice even with our injuries whereas Langford was.

But yeah from our forward line: Fantasia missed tons of games, Daniher missed the whole season, Stringer missed a fair few (who really is the guy who takes Laverde's spot as a 3rd tall forward but he's just much better) and of course Smith missed plenty, McKernan missed a good chunk as well. Begley after his ACL kind of struggled this year too.

Really it wasn't a good year for our forward line all round except for Tippa. I didn't mind the signs from Ham/Snelling when they got introduced though only bit roles in the context of the whole season.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm talking up Langford either as he was very ordinary too aside from a few better games. However his good finishing and some big 4th quarters do make him stand out positively in direct comparison to Laverde.

I think a combination of injuries and being utilised wrong has stuffed him. It is very hard to become a good player at this late stage.

In some ways trading in Stringer is the deathnel of his career, however, it could also be a revelation is managed properly.

The club needs to realise that Langford is too slow in every way to be a midfielder. This also means he is not a deep forward. Langford could be effective as a poor man's Gunston though. He can get up and down the ground and a position like that focussed on km covered and leads made could see him flourish.

Laverde is capable of a burst and side step. I think he could work in unison with Stringer. Laverde playing 70% on ball and 30% up forward with Stringer doing the opposite.

Smith doing similar split with Tippa next year means we solve some midfield issues. Laverde and Stringer adding size and burst around the ball. Smith and Tippa adding tackling pressure. When Tippa and Stringer do their bursts they add some attacking ability to it as well.

A superfit and hard running Stewart would be preferable to Langford in my opinion. With Daniher leading from CHF their height cause a lot of issues and should spread the defence making Stringer, Tippa and Fantasia more likely to have space to operate in.

Laverde should be trialled in this position before we delist him. Not 100 confident it will work. I am 100 confident having him as a lead up 3rd or 4th forward definitely won't work.

On last legs at Bomberland I imagine.

We hear the 'been putting in work's for 10 different guys every year. He has some great tools, however the best ability is availability as the old saying goes.
And he, quite simply, has never been available enough for long enough to make a go of it.

Ironically this could be his best bet. The first 5 slots in the forward line is set with Smack, Daniher, Walla, Fantasia and Stringer - who that 6th forward is i have no idea.

With Daniher back, the role probably wont involve being chained to the goal square like a mangy dog like Laverde was at points last year. Ideally it will be a competition between Laverde, Brown, Langford and Begley for that 6th forward that can get up the ground and be involved in transition back the other way. This role would likely suit Laverde's size and power well against smaller opponents pushing back to goal.

But as I said before, Lav has had plenty of chances, and hasn't taken been them yet, either through form or fitness. It's year 6 Jayden, now or never mate.

Inb4 people say Smith or Snelling for the 6th forward spot - that is the 7th forward/midfield rotation role for mine of which Smith, fitness permitting, is a lock.

The 6th spot should be Smiths as he returns from injury.

Two big targets in Daniher and Smack.

One X-factor in Stringer.

Three skillful pressure players in Walla, Smith and Fanta.

I think a combination of injuries and being utilised wrong has stuffed him. It is very hard to become a good player at this late stage.

In some ways trading in Stringer is the deathnel of his career, however, it could also be a revelation is managed properly.

The club needs to realise that Langford is too slow in every way to be a midfielder. This also means he is not a deep forward. Langford could be effective as a poor man's Gunston though. He can get up and down the ground and a position like that focussed on km covered and leads made could see him flourish.

Laverde is capable of a burst and side step. I think he could work in unison with Stringer. Laverde playing 70% on ball and 30% up forward with Stringer doing the opposite.

Smith doing similar split with Tippa next year means we solve some midfield issues. Laverde and Stringer adding size and burst around the ball. Smith and Tippa adding tackling pressure. When Tippa and Stringer do their bursts they add some attacking ability to it as well.

A superfit and hard running Stewart would be preferable to Langford in my opinion. With Daniher leading from CHF their height cause a lot of issues and should spread the defence making Stringer, Tippa and Fantasia more likely to have space to operate in.

Laverde should be trialled in this position before we delist him. Not 100 confident it will work. I am 100 confident having him as a lead up 3rd or 4th forward definitely won't work.

Not sure Laverde has ever had a clear run at it with injuries to get fit enough for them to even consider it.

Free pass from who?
If the fans aren’t flaming him, who gives a s**t? Players cop too much from fans as it is.

If you’re referring to the club, do you have inside info on whether the club gives him a free pass?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back