AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I moved this over here...

Off the top of my head... improve; Goal kicking, tank, fitness base....

Didn't he run a +15 beep test at the club. Is his tank really an issue? Especially as a deep forward which he's been playing

I still think he has a 30 goal year season in him whereas I'm not as confident in his competitors doing the same ie: Snelling, Langford, Cahill, Townsend ect

Didn't he run a +15 beep test at the club. Is his tank really an issue? Especially as a deep forward which he's been playing

I still think he has a 30 goal year season in him whereas I'm not as confident in his competitors doing the same ie: Snelling, Langford, Cahill, Townsend ect

Yeah I think his work rate is quite good. When he was playing undersized key forward he worked hard for his shots on goal

His injury history has affected his fitness, was more where I was going. He won't kick 30 with his current accuracy. Unless he improves, I just don't see a spot for him in the forward line.

He was also getting better key position defenders compared to Mitch Brown so really Brown was getting the 3rd best defender when Lav was playing.
Ideally it is Brown's spot he is competing for with Langford..
Joe, Smack, Stringer, Laverde/Langford/Begley, Fantasia and Walla is a decent forward set up.

Danihers taking M.Browns spot and if theres no Daniher or Stewart then I'll be very interested to see how we improvise
His injury history has affected his fitness, was more where I was going. He won't kick 30 with his current accuracy. Unless he improves, I just don't see a spot for him in the forward line.

Which 7 forwards before preseason games do you have ahead of him?

The only 7 I could possibly have if we go small would be Daniher, Smack, Stringer, Dev, Tippa, Fanta and Snelling

But plenty of competition Laverde, Langford, Townsend, Begley, Ham and maybe even Mozzie

Danihers taking M.Browns spot and if theres no Daniher or Stewart then I'll be very interested to see how we improvise

Which 7 forwards before preseason games do you have ahead of him?

The only 7 I could possibly have if we go small would be Daniher, Smack, Stringer, Dev, Tippa, Fanta and Snelling

But plenty of competition Laverde, Langford, Townsend, Begley, Ham and maybe even Mozzie

I don’t think we play 7 forwards. 2 Talls + Stringer. 2 smalls, then rotating mids. He competes with Stringer IMO as a medium forward.

He hasn’t shown an ability to play midfield, and his goal kicking is terrible. That’s why I don’t have him best 22.

I don’t think we play 7 forwards. 2 Talls + Stringer. 2 smalls, then rotating mids. He competes with Stringer IMO as a medium forward.

He hasn’t shown an ability to play midfield, and his goal kicking is terrible. That’s why I don’t have him best 22.

I think Mossie might force our hand with 3 smalls.

Laverde played quite a few games this year with Stringer. If anything, Jake becomes that forward who can go through the middle which allows us flexibility with mids rotating fwd.

I think Mossie might force our hand with 3 smalls.
It's an interesting thought with both Rutten and Caracella coming from a Richmond system that plays 3-4 genuine small forwards a game (Rioli, Castagna, Bolton and Baker.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us play 3, although from the training report on Blitz it seems Cahill is looking reasonably accomplished and may compete with Mozzie for that 3rd small forward if we choose to go that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting thought with both Rutten and Caracella coming from a Richmond system that plays 3-4 genuine small forwards a game (Rioli, Castagna, Bolton and Baker.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us play 3, although from the training report on Blitz it seems Cahill is looking reasonably accomplished and may compete with Mozzie for that 3rd small forward if we choose to go that way.

We already have Tippa, Fanta and Snelling. Also Devon Smith rotating aplenty there this year

Not sure how anyone can have confidence in a bloke who has had 3 plus injuries a season since he was 17.
Same every December. People trotting out the same lines. If you had been holding your breath you would be dead by now.
Hope he comes good but I am not factoring anything for him.

No club being interested in Laverde sums it up - Laverde is borderline AFL standard and this could be his last year in the competition.

I tend to agree with this - but he may well feature round 1 in our forward line as we don’t have a lot of other options...!! We traded Brown, who knows when Daniher will play so besides Stringer and Smack we don’t have a lot of other 191cm+ forward options....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I tend to agree with this - but he may well feature round 1 in our forward line as we don’t have a lot of other options...!! We traded Brown, who knows when Daniher will play so besides Stringer and Smack we don’t have a lot of other 191cm+ forward options....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me either him or Snelling are playing round depending on what way Rutten/Caracella want to go round 1*

*Of course pending fitness

The only reason I can't see that happening is if a Begley, Langford, Mozzie, Cahill, Ham, Townsend have a huge preseason game and for me that's unlikely

Pops Kelly talking him up big time in latest training vid, leading the race in pre season along with Begley. Should be a dog fight for that medium forward position if he can avoid injury before round 1

Pops Kelly talking him up big time in latest training vid, leading the race in pre season along with Begley. Should be a dog fight for that medium forward position if he can avoid injury before round 1

Does it really even matter how fit Laverde gets. He can't hit a target to save his life. Even if Laverde is dominating his opponent, nothing will come of it besides more turnovers. If he was over 195cm then maybe it would be useful enough just for him to win some contests but as a medium sized player its not enough.

If we line up Laverde in our forward line it just means that the opposition can double team someone else.

Does it really even matter how fit Laverde gets. He can't hit a target to save his life. Even if Laverde is dominating his opponent, nothing will come of it besides more turnovers. If he was over 195cm then maybe it would be useful enough just for him to win some contests but as a medium sized player its not enough.

If we line up Laverde in our forward line it just means that the opposition can double team someone else.
Thing is, he hasn’t always been a dodgy shot on goal... I think it’s mostly mental, technique is mostly solid

Thing is, he hasn’t always been a dodgy shot on goal... I think it’s mostly mental, technique is mostly solid

it’s always mental. Being able the handle the pressure of league footy in front a big crowd is what it’s about ..for everyone.

The bloke can play. Time will tell this year if he’s turned the corner..mentally

it’s always mental. Being able the handle the pressure of league footy in front a big crowd is what it’s about ..for everyone.

The bloke can play. Time will tell this year if he’s turned the corner..mentally

Fitness leads to confidence.

Confidence leads to form.

Form leads to the fulfillment of potential.

No point pretending that his career isn't at the crossroads and that as a 6th year player talent is going to save him.

He also needed to get a lucky break for once so that if he took care of the work (and I don't think it was guaranteed he would) he'd get an opportunity. The absence of Daniher and Stewart helps with that opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back